Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Fencing

Register

Click Here!

amarsu

Please advise me on fencing.I have a 10 acre land whose perimeter comes to around 3000ft.If I plan for a pole at every 6 feet with barbed wire,assuming 8ft height,how much should I invest for the same?

Please also advise on the following.
1) Fencing with stone poles
2) Fencing with Cement poles
3) Solar electrical fencing
4) Hollow bricks based fencing for the 6ft hight.

Best regards,
Amar

sampadafarms

Sampada Farms!

Please advise me on fencing.I have a 10 acre land whose perimeter comes to around 3000ft.If I plan for a pole at every 6 feet with barbed wire,assuming 8ft height,how much should I invest for the same?

Please also advise on the following.
1) Fencing with stone poles ONE POLE FOR EVERY 10 FEET, WITH FIVE LINE BARBED WIRE, IT WILL COST YOU AROUND Rs.70/- PER RUNNING FEET.
2) Fencing with Cement polesSAME WITH CEMENT POLES RS.90/- RUNNING FEET
3) Solar electrical fencingIT WILL COST YOU AROUND Rs.110/- TO Rs.120/- PER RUNNING FEET
4) Hollow bricks based fencing for the 6ft hight.Rs.240/- TO rS.300/- FOR ONE RUNNING FEET

Best regards,
Amar
Raghu Ram
Sampada Farms

sudhirpai

If your land does not require much protection, we have natural solutions for protecting the land from cattle and other animals. That will save you substantial amount.
Hence, let us know what plans u have in that land?
SUDHIR PAI

marsin7

Mr. Sudhir,

I am Premkumar. I am also thinking of fencing my 10 Acre. I wanted to go for ecotourism with a small farm with medicinal plants and daily use vegetables ,a pair of cows etc. Fully Organic. I've already made trenches around to stop elephants to cme in and now i wanted to make a fence where i can grow blackpepper so that it will act as a fence as well give me some return. what type of fencing you recommend.

agri_lover

Natural fencing.

you can also use nature fencing plants like Merceda,gahukkugaya ,shikakai ,Pithagulabium dulea & kiluvai. I dont know how much this option costs though

sudhirpai

live fence

Living Fences and Hedges

Having a living fence around the farm has multiple benefits. Besides protection from trespassers and cattle, a living fence also provides a buffer, and with a sensible choice of plants, even some cash return. Live fences can be divided into two basic categories:
  • Live fence posts
Live fence posts are widely spaced, single lines of woody plants that are regularly pruned back and used instead of metal or wooden posts for supporting barbed wire, bamboo or other materials.
  • Live barriers or hedges
Hedges are thicker, more densely spaced live fences that generally include a number of different species and do not normally support other fencing materials.

The species suitable for live fence should be thorny, inedible and non-browsable for cattle and goats, hardy and relatively maintenance-free (other than pruning / lopping), adaptable to the local conditions, fast-growing and producing something that can yield some revenue.

The primary purpose of live fences is to control the movement of animals and people; however, they have proven to be extremely diverse, low risk systems that provide farmers with numerous benefits. Besides their main function living fences can provide fuel wood, fodder and food, act as wind breaks or enrich the soil, depending on the species used.

A live fence should ideally be planted just before the monsoons and watered regularly after the rainy season is over to ensure optimum growth.

Usually thorny plants are grown to make a live fence. For example bushes such as agave and cactus, creepers, and small shrubs (perennial bushes) are the most sought after ones. Besides, trees such as subabul and Gliricidia can also be planted as live fence.

Often trees in living fences are allowed to grow to larger sizes than with hedges. A genus of particular importance as living fence is Gliricidia which can serve both as fences and as sources of fuel wood and fodder.

AGAVE -sisal

Among the under-exploited resources, ‘Agave’ - a fibre yielding drought tolerant plant is one which can prosper the life of the dry land farmers without any risk. Agave is a short stemmed plant bearing a rosette of long erect pointed fleshy leaves.

The sharp spines of the sisal leaves may make this type of hedge unsuitable for use with livestock.

Agave is noted for its strong, coarse fibre, superior too and more flexible than Manila hemp. It is widely used for making ropes, cordage, twine, fishing nets, door mats and rugs and the short fibres are used for making mops, brushes.

The waste material left after decorticating the leaves is used for making craft paper and paper boards. The fibres also contain about 73-78% of lignified form of cellulose.

Apart from these wax from agave wastes and Hecogenin acetate a steroid useful for the pharmaceutical industry in India is obtained from agave juice.

Agave plants are grown along railway line, road sides, and river banks and as a hedge plant in dry land areas throughout the country. Till date it is grown in patches and as border crop in a neglected condition. The crop comes up on dry soils unsuitable for crop cultivation but grow vigorously on dry, well drained sandy loam soils.

In the border, a trench with a width of 30 cms may be dug and the soil excavated should be used to make raised bed at the inner side of trench. The agave saplings are planted at a space of 45 cms in pits of 20 cm3. Planting is usually carried out during the rainy seasons for better establishment otherwise initial watering is quite essential for establishment.

GLIRICIDIA SEPIUM

Gliricidia sepium is a common live fence post species in Western Ghats and in other tropical areas. Large stem cuttings root with relative ease, and it has multiple uses such as a forage and green manure.

Establish a live fence by planting a few large (about 1 mtr tall) stakes on the border with spacing of 2 ft inside the row in combination with Agave.
These stakes normally take root within a month or so. Allow the shoots to grow for 6 to 10 months before cutting them back. After the first pruning, prunings can be carried out every 4 to 8 months, or seasonally.

Larger prunings result in woody sprouts that are suitable for use as further stakes. In this way live stakes can be multiplied for use as living fence posts within a year or two after establishing the first live fence posts.

The combination of Agave Sisal and Gliricidia is suggested as live fence. When established, these natural barriers can prevent the passage of livestock and deter both animal and human trespassers from entering the farm.

The cost of establishment of live fence is very minimal.
A 10 ft (3 mtrs.) long stretch will cost around Rs.70 – 80.

Thus a perimeter of 3000 ft. (10 Acres) would cost around Rs. 25,000 as against several thousands with other alternatives

As regards Mr.Premkumar's query, he may follow the live fence briefed here and plant Melia Dubia for growing Black Pepper as support tree.

SUDHIR PAI

sudhirpai

live fence

Plant Agave and Gliricidia on the beds along the borders and also Melia Dubia as support plant for Black Pepper.
SUDHIR PAI

Mr. Sudhir,

I am Premkumar. I am also thinking of fencing my 10 Acre. I wanted to go for ecotourism with a small farm with medicinal plants and daily use vegetables ,a pair of cows etc. Fully Organic. I've already made trenches around to stop elephants to cme in and now i wanted to make a fence where i can grow blackpepper so that it will act as a fence as well give me some return. what type of fencing you recommend.

thomastd

Hello Kirti,

I would like to know about the nearest location to get Gliricidia Sepium for my agriculture field my land is located in gulbarga (karnataka state)

Regards
Thomas

fenzind

Fenzgard provides fencing solutions for the farming, wildlife and security sectors.The energizers imported from Germany are safety certified.Horticulture operations with a Fenzgard fence can sustain inter-cropping, which helps to recover the fence cost early. This is a win-win situation for both the farmer and the funding banks.

Electric fence wires are pre-tensioned, employing load bearing posts at bends and change of contour, which will vary from site to site and so cannot be quoted on a cost per meter basis. Each fence has to be designed site and species specific after survey.

Innovative techniques for control of powerful animals, safety features and maintenance-free operation make Fenzgard solutions distinct.

We offer a 10 year warranty on fence hardware and 3 years on the electronics.

Some of our esteemed customers are
  • Harihar orchards PVT Ltd,Trichy
  • DS greens PVT LTD,MP
  • Andhra Sugars Ltd, Tanuku
  • Sakthi Sugars Ltd, Coimbatore
  • Shirdi Floriculture ,Maharashtra
  • Tea Estates India Ltd,Anamalais

Please feel free to contact us on +91 94421 38380for more details.

pereddyhkr

Looking for fencing for 12 acre argiculture land which we are plannig to grow mango trees.Can you pls suugest the best fencing for this

malleshyadav

fencing pole requirement

hi
this is yadav...
i want urgent fencing pole requirement..............

Mr. Sudhir,

jagsen

I am looking for shikakai seeds to plant aropund my farm boundary. If anyone can offer fresh stock, please email me with price.

jagsen

Do you have seeds of shikakai for immediate planting around my farm perimeter? If available, please quote your price.
Thanks.