Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Register

Click Here!

willyboy

Dear Mr. Hegde,
We, few Farmers jointly planning to start Farming activities approximately in a 250 acres of land which Farm Yard Manure (FYM) requirement is estimated to 2500Tons per year and considering a Dairy Farm in parallel not only to provide cow dug for FYM but also to produce biogas to support required electricity production to run pump sets etc. Could you please advice the following
1) Start a dairy farm in a small scale and gradually develop into large scale?
2) Cow Farming or buffalo farming which one is better?
3) What you think if we start farming with male buffalos only (for cow dug purpose and buffalos can sell for meat) to avoid milk marketing hassles etc.?
4) What will be a project cost for a medium size dairy farm?
Best Regards,
Wilson

afrozali

dairyfarm

sir I want to start dairyfarm I have my ownland in chevalla near hyd A.P which buffalo should I buy and from where please give me advice

giridharan

Dear Sir,
I am eager to start a dairy unit. However I understand that milk being a perishable commodity, this may have to be pushed off to the available price at times. Instead if I start a unit for making cheese, paneer etc. without going for marketing as milk. Will it be viable? I have a piece of land measuring about 9 acres at a place about 50Kms from Chennai to meet the cowshed and area for growing its feed. May be I will think of installing 'vermi-compost' and biogas projects later on. Right now I cannot invest further in lands. Kindly advise me whether such project is viable and if so what is the optimum number of cows I can think of for the given land. What are the machinery needed. How much investments may be needed. How much Bank loan/ subsidy will be available. As I do not have any experience even to handle the cows, I need some one to guide me. Is there any consultants available at chennai for guiding me in this.
Kindly reply.

Regards.
J. Giridharan

toms_dairy

Financial help to start a dairy farm

Dear Hegde Sir,

I am robin from Kolar, when i have visited many banks to avail loans for dairy farms business, do they provide loans for the citizens who do not have land, either a owned house but still holds more knowledge about dairy farms and hot in determination to start a farm with a help of NABARD, So directly they answer is NO.... so i am not a Citizen who can depend on Nabard, but infact to gather my own revenue and start one. If you think or have plan for me to get a loan with the above points mentioned, please let me know i would be great full to do so.

I know can get a land for lease to grow my own fodder, i have taken many training with state and central training session and holder of many certificate sir.
pl mail if any ideas,plan or suggestion to conquer the bussiness.
Robin- 9900306433( bangalore)

amitdave

Need Dairy Farm establishment guidance

hi,

I am based in Indore,MP. I own a land around 3.5 acres close to the city on highway. I am interested in establishing a dairy farm here. I need the perfect guy who can help and guide me in setting up a profitable dairy farm.
Also, I want to know whether this much area is sufficient or not.

Amit Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

ajkumar

Thanks a lot for all your well intended replies, its extremely useful. However i still haven't made up my mind as i have received both positive and negative sides and hence will research and study further. All leanings that i have and decisions that i make on this regard will be updated here, so that other in future who have a similar question in mind can refer to this.

@ajkumar I understand that it is difficult/impossible to get people to pay extra. However the land cost required for fodder or fodder cost, labor,feed management, low resistance to disease and consequent health management etc for ( Bos taurus (HF, Jersey, Swiss brown) cows are a huge problem. All these do not exist with Bos Indicus (Desi cows). The real problem us that the yield would be around 3 ltrs per day as opposed to an average of 20ltrs for Bos taurus. This can be taken care of by scaling up numbers. for e.g instead of buying 10HF, buy 50 Desi cows.As we plan to do Zero budget farming (Subhash Palekarji's model), the dung and urine are also useful. One of the problems in scaling though is using automation which is what prompted me to ask the question about milking machines.
Will study this further and make a decision by early next month. Will keep you posted. Please keep sending your opinions
Thank you for the reply. You need to think of the yield, space required as open / loose housing will be the only option.Tied up system will not work economically. PM me your mail id. Your calculation of manpower to handle these is wrong. It wont be viable to manage even 10 cows by 1 person.back if possible. kumar. 9447088234

Last edited:

ajkumar

Area mentioned above is enough for a dairy farm of 24-30 nos. Try selling milk to the end user for better margins.

jamunar

Dear Sir,
I am eager to start a dairy unit. However I understand that milk being a perishable commodity, this may have to be pushed off to the available price at times. Instead if I start a unit for making cheese, paneer etc. without going for marketing as milk. Will it be viable? I have a piece of land measuring about 9 acres at a place about 50Kms from Chennai to meet the cowshed and area for growing its feed. May be I will think of installing 'vermi-compost' and biogas projects later on. Right now I cannot invest further in lands. Kindly advise me whether such project is viable and if so what is the optimum number of cows I can think of for the given land. What are the machinery needed. How much investments may be needed. How much Bank loan/ subsidy will be available. As I do not have any experience even to handle the cows, I need some one to guide me. Is there any consultants available at chennai for guiding me in this.
Kindly reply.

Regards.
J. Giridharan
Dear giridharan,

With nine acre land you can have about 50 cows. With fifty cows setting up a processing plant may not be viable. You may need to have about 5000 litre per day (better check with some processing expert). Machineries needed for the farm are milking machine, fodder chaffer, tractor. Regarding investment please decide on the no. of animals, later we can discuss personally.

As told by Mr.Hegde,
Phone-0-9535136206
--------------------------
Rajani

jamunar

Dear Hegde Sir,

I am robin from Kolar, when i have visited many banks to avail loans for dairy farms business, do they provide loans for the citizens who do not have land, either a owned house but still holds more knowledge about dairy farms and hot in determination to start a farm with a help of NABARD, So directly they answer is NO.... so i am not a Citizen who can depend on Nabard, but infact to gather my own revenue and start one. If you think or have plan for me to get a loan with the above points mentioned, please let me know i would be great full to do so.

I know can get a land for lease to grow my own fodder, i have taken many training with state and central training session and holder of many certificate sir.
pl mail if any ideas,plan or suggestion to conquer the bussiness.
Robin- 9900306433( bangalore)
Dear toms_dairy

Banks need some collateral security for the loan to be released. Or if your relationship with the banker is very good then the banker may think of giving the loan.

As told by Mr.Hegde--
h.parameshwar@gmail.com
-----------------------------------

Rajani

jamunar

Dear Mr. Hegde,
We, few Farmers jointly planning to start Farming activities approximately in a 250 acres of land which Farm Yard Manure (FYM) requirement is estimated to 2500Tons per year and considering a Dairy Farm in parallel not only to provide cow dug for FYM but also to produce biogas to support required electricity production to run pump sets etc. Could you please advice the following
1) Start a dairy farm in a small scale and gradually develop into large scale?
2) Cow Farming or buffalo farming which one is better?
3) What you think if we start farming with male buffalos only (for cow dug purpose and buffalos can sell for meat) to avoid milk marketing hassles etc.?
4) What will be a project cost for a medium size dairy farm?
Best Regards,
Wilson
Dear willyboy,

Please find the answers to your questions as below.

1) Start a dairy farm in a small scale and gradually develop into large scale? You can start with 50 cows and increase @ 50 per year.
2) Cow Farming or buffalo farming which one is better? Commercially cows are better.
3) What you think if we start farming with male buffalos only (for cow dug purpose and buffalos can sell for meat) to avoid milk marketing hassles etc.? no comments
4) What will be a project cost for a medium size dairy farm? Define the number of animals and later we can discuss about the cost.

As told by Mr.Hegde,
------------------------------
Rajani

Last edited:

jamunar

I want to start a cattle farm with a maximum of 10 Cows
I want to know which breed i have to select for more yield. Even i want to know the maintenance , food, life style etc:confused:.... Can any body help me out... My location is 60 kms away from mysore, karnataka
Dear Samhita,

You can select HF crossbreed

As answered by Mr.Hegde.--
-------------------

Rajani

Last edited:

jamunar

Hi, i am from andhrapradesh i have 10 acers of land with full water i want to start a dairy farm . Please give me suggetions about bank loan ,with how many cows or baffelos i have to start..
Dear Kotesha,

You can start with about 50 cows

As told by Mr.Hegde.
-----------------------------------
Rajani

Last edited:

jamunar

Dear snny259,

Please find the answers as below.

Q 1: Wht is the actual production of milk/per cow on a daily basis ?? It can be 15 litre average.
Q 2: Wht is the cost of fodder/per cow on a daily basis?? It will be Rs.40
Q 3: are there any other big Day To Day expenditure that i should know abt ?? You should know about feed.

As told by Mr.Hegde--
--------------------------------
Rajani

afrozali

dairyfarm

Hello sir Thanks for your reply

sir I have few more Question ?

1. what is the coast of murrah buffallo.
2.I want to know about murrah buffallo
3.In A.P Chevalla does murrah buffallo suits the weather here.
4.In Haryana with whom should I buy if you know anyone please give me the details.
5.I have land about 1.5acr in this land with how many buffalloes I can start the dairy and I want to grow the fodder also in my land only.

sorry for troubleing you with so many questions please reply me soon.

jamunar

and wht is the scope of biogas production if i have a farm i mean
for every cow produces 10 kg of dunk everyday
how much biogas can be excreted out if a cows dunk
Dear snny259

The answer to your question is 1000 kg dung produces about 35-40 m3 gas

As replied by Mr.Hegde

jamunar

Dear Mr. Hegde,

One of our member want to know 'Is dairy a safe business in terms of return on investments made?'

Regards,
Shweta
Below are the good points after which one can decide whether dairy can be considered as a safe business in terms of return on investment made.

1. It is eco-friendly and does not cause environmental pollution as compared to many industries.
2. Requirement of skilled labour is relatively less.
3. Dairy product market is active round the year.
4. Minimum investment on inventory.
5. Majority of the establishment can be shifted to a new location
6. One can insure animals.
7. Less energy requirement. Biogas plant fed with cow dung can supply maximum energy to meet farms day to day requirement. Decomposed slurry of such plant can also be effectively used as organic matter.

As told by Mr.Hegde----

pmvarma

Dear Nandisri,

you have to mix LITTLE urea with dry grass and let it ferment before feeding the cows.
excess ureas WILL KILL THE COWS.

please contact the govt animal husbandary / veternary doctor and take advice how to prepare the concentrate food for cows. if you are beginer, buy cow feed and later you can preapare after getting all the information.

regards
madhava varma
visakapatnam
serving cows in hare krishna ashram , vizianagaram