Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Register

Click Here!

balastg

Dear friends,

This is balaji from Dindigul, tamilnadu, i completed mba and i have exp in diary business but i dont have money to starting up the diary farm chould you any body give me advise how to get da loan form bank or ngo or any other finances link... i am ready to work heard and smart my emil id -
if any body know the way how i need to go for that pls contact me or mail me..

sajitgopalan

Desi Cow based dairy

I'am exploring the feasibility of a dairy farm purely based on the Desi breeds in Dharmapuri, T.N. Assuming the breeds like Kangayam and other non-descript breeds

Pros
1. Cost & Logistics of food & medicines
2. 100% organic milk, rich in probiotic bacteria/enzymes etc

Cons
1. Due to low yield (3 liters/day) the herd size has to be considerably large to make money.

Questions
1. Can we use milking machine for desi cows from a sensitivity perspective and also due to their teat sizes being smaller?

2. Where can one procure desi cows in the said area and what would be the approximate cost?

Please share your thoughts on these questions

SWAMY1807

Dear Sir,
Good Idea.

Answers for Questions
1. Can we use milking machine for desi cows from a sensitivity perspective and also due to their teat sizes being smaller?
Yes you can use.

2. Where can one procure desi cows in the said area and what would be the approximate cost?
Karimangalam weekly market.

Sell milk in town at better rate. Along with milk plan to get some vegetables also to sell along with milk together for better income.

In fact Yesterday I was their at Krishnapuram to see date palm nursery and standing crop.
Regards.
SWAMY

sajitgopalan

Dear Sir,
Good Idea.

Answers for Questions
Yes you can use.

Karimangalam weekly market.

Sell milk in town at better rate. Along with milk plan to get some vegetables also to sell along with milk together for better income.

In fact Yesterday I was their at Krishnapuram to see date palm nursery and standing crop.
Regards.
SWAMY
Dear Sir,
Thanks for the positive reply. Yes the idea is to sell milk in towns and to have crops along with dairy. I have not firmed up my plans on this a s yet.

With regards to the desi cows i have heard that some breeds have smaller teats than HF & Jersey, hence not possible to use milking machine to milk them

Thanks,
Sajit

drsarkar

I'am exploring the feasibility of a dairy farm purely based on the Desi breeds in Dharmapuri, T.N. Assuming the breeds like Kangayam and other non-descript breeds

Pros

Cons
1. Due to low yield (3 liters/day) the herd size has to be considerably large to make money.

Questions

Dear Mr S. Gopalan ,

We are from Specialized Dairy Project Turnkey Consultancy Services , where we deals only Pure Indian Breeds of Dairy Cow / Buffalo [ Pure upto 85 - 94% SAHIWAL / GIR / Kankrej + Haryana ( agressive cows) / THARPARKAR / RATHI GONI / GANGATERI on Supply Terms & Conditions with Advance Payment + Bank Guarantee .. In Buffaloes , Pure Murrah / Nili - ravi / Nagpuri / Mehsani / Zafarwadi / Bhadavari / Gujarat- Bani etc. On Goats , Sirohi + Jamunapari + Barbari + Black Karouli etc. available with 3 weeks advance information .. We can develop your Dairy Project with Automation / Semi Loose system , milking , calving , health / treatment / feed & fodder mgmt / breeding / nutrition
and other shed management services on turnkey basis ..

Last edited by a moderator:

lpmndri123

Pros

Cons

Questions

for detailed information and free advice pl. contact me

ajkumar

Pros

Cons

Questions

You cannot run profitably a dairy farm with ND cows. Nobody will pay little extra for desi cow milk. You can use milking machines - the same machine for desi cow / Holstein cow / Jersey cow/ Buffaloes.Teat size wont be an issue as the rubber liner will expand and contract according to the teat size. Unlike CB cows, these desi cows are more resistant to diseases but from the economic point of view viability wont be there.

sajitgopalan

Thanks a lot for all your well intended replies, its extremely useful. However i still haven't made up my mind as i have received both positive and negative sides and hence will research and study further. All leanings that i have and decisions that i make on this regard will be updated here, so that other in future who have a similar question in mind can refer to this.

@ajkumar I understand that it is difficult/impossible to get people to pay extra. However the land cost required for fodder or fodder cost, labor,feed management, low resistance to disease and consequent health management etc for ( Bos taurus (HF, Jersey, Swiss brown) cows are a huge problem. All these do not exist with Bos Indicus (Desi cows). The real problem us that the yield would be around 3 ltrs per day as opposed to an average of 20ltrs for Bos taurus. This can be taken care of by scaling up numbers. for e.g instead of buying 10HF, buy 50 Desi cows.As we plan to do Zero budget farming (Subhash Palekarji's model), the dung and urine are also useful. One of the problems in scaling though is using automation which is what prompted me to ask the question about milking machines.
Will study this further and make a decision by early next month. Will keep you posted. Please keep sending your opinions

santhoshdsingh

It is great to setup dairy farm with desi cows looking at its highly nutritious milk and medicinal value of urine and also very economical in terms of requirement of food and nutrition & other medicinal cost to these desi breeds, however I have had some challenges with a few desi breed cows at my farm in the past due to which I have migrated towards having cross bred HF & Jersey cows.

Some of the challenges were:

Most of these desi cows wouldn't allow the machine clusters to be attached to its teats as it keeps kicking the clusters, we tried tying rope to its legs while milking and also tried new methods like back locking clamps which would keep the cows in still position while milking but it requires atleast a couple of months for these cows to get used to milking machines.

Most of these cows are agressive in nature unlike crossbred HF/Jersey cows, you need to look at the wear and tear of your farm workers too.... every day they come in contact with these cows during cleaning and feeding, the probabality of workers getting injured is high with these desi cows.

These are just a couple of problems I have observed, imagine if you have even 5 cows out of your entire herd of desi cows which turn out to be problematic, every day you would have to give extra attention and time to carry out your normal routine work such as milking, feeding and cleaning. It is very difficult to have workers who are comfortable with these desi breeds and we are not talking about one or two cows here... a herd size of 25-50 cows means you need to have a good 4-5 experienced guys to handle these cows and the dependability will be very very high on labours.

Try having a couple of desi breeds and get a hands on experience before you even think of planning a big herd size farm.

ajkumar

I agree with Santosh here. Desi cows - milking it with machines may be an issue as kicking will be a problem.Moreover automation is also for disciplined lot. I strongly believe automation may not be successful as it costs too much and project viability wont be there at all. You can milk it with machines provided you feed them to divert attention of the desi cows while milking.Feeding with hay/fodder during milking time. Think well before you take the plunge!!!

sajitgopalan

@Santosh Very useful information. Thanks. What breed of Desi cows did you have. Were all of them one breed or a variety of breeds. Also were the teat sizes different. This would be useful information. I'am aware of the Desi cows being sensitive and aggressive and consequently difficult (close to impossible) to manage l. Another question that i have is before milking, is it essential to have the calf drink for a while before the desi cows are milked. If so what happens in the case of cows which are bought without calves. I have not finalized going with Desi cows still studying. However will buy at least couple to serve agriculture purposes.

@Ajay The economic angle and the lack of economic sense with Desi cows is not something I'am entirely convinced about. If you compare 5 desi cows with 5 Bos Taurus then obviously it doesn't work. However even at that scale the cost of the cows and the feed cost are stacked in favor of desi cows. The real issue so far seems to sensitivity of Desi cows. If one can work around that and the consequent difficulty in managing then Desi cows might be more profitable. Will continue to collect more data.

Dear Mr S. Gopalan ,

We are from Specialized Dairy Project Turnkey Consultancy Services , where we deals only Pure Indian Breeds of Dairy Cow / Buffalo [ Pure upto 85 - 94% SAHIWAL / GIR / Kankrej + Haryana ( agressive cows) / THARPARKAR / RATHI GONI / GANGATERI on Supply Terms & Conditions with Advance Payment + Bank Guarantee .. In Buffaloes , Pure Murrah / Nili - ravi / Nagpuri / Mehsani / Zafarwadi / Bhadavari / Gujarat- Bani etc. On Goats , Sirohi + Jamunapari + Barbari + Black Karouli etc. available with 3 weeks advance information .. We can develop your Dairy Project with Automation / Semi Loose system , milking , calving , health / treatment / feed & fodder mgmt / breeding / nutrition
Do u have tharparkar cow with 1st or 2nd lactation for sale, if so quote the price..with contact details.

Regards,
Ashok

showry

Dear Mr S. Gopalan ,

Hello,
I am looking for buffalos which produce approx 15L of milk a day, I am planning to setup a dairy and open to taking suggestion. Can any one suggest the best breed to go with and if you can give a rough price estimate on a buffalo that would really help. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Arun

gotha

want to satrt dairy intially from 2 buffelos

i am going to start intially from 2 buffelos pls tell me everything from fodder to water managment. i have 3 acres of land and sufficient water.

gopi601

I want to start Diary form in Andhra Pradesh

Hi,

I want to start a dairy form in andhra pradesh, Anantapur dist, Hindupur. I have 6 acrs land with sufficient water. I am plannig to start with 15 either cow or buffalo.

Please help me answering to my below questions?

Which is the best if i compare with cow or Buffalo.
How much land i must have for 15 animals
Shed area..
Any model diary forms where i can get more information in andhra pradesh..
how many labours needed to manage 15 animals...
how much each cow or bufalo costs
If i select Cow which bread i need to choose.. how many ltrs milk it will give per day...
if i select buffalo which bread i need to choose...how many ltrs milk it will give per day...

Is there any specialiest in andhra pradesh and their contact details..

Thanks and regards
S.Gopinath

Ashwini

Hi

The main beneficiaries of dairy programmes are small/marginal farmers and landless labourers. A farmer can earn a gross surplus of about Rs. 12,000 per year from a unit consisting of 2 milking buffaloes. The capital investment required for purchase of 2 buffaloes is Rs. 18,223/-.

Farmers

Modern and well established scientific principles, practices and skills should be used to obtain maximum economic benefits from dairy farming. Some of the major norms and recommended practices are as follows :

I. Housing:

1. Construct shed on dry, properly raised ground.

2. Avoid water-logging, marshy and heavy rainfall areas.

3. The walls of the sheds should be 1.5 to 2 meters high.

4. The walls should be plastered to make them damp proof.

5. The roof should be 3-4 metres high.

6. The cattle shed should be well ventilated.

7. The floor should be pucca/hard, even non-slippery impervious, well sloped (3 cm per metre) and properly drained to
remain dry and clean.

8. Provide 0.25 metre broad, pucca drain at the rear of the standing space.

9. A standing space of 2 x 1.05 metre for each animal is needed.

10. The manger space should be 1.05 metre with front height of 0.5 metre and depth of 0.25 metre.

11. The corners in mangers, troughs, drains and walls should be rounded for easy cleaning.

12. Provide 5-10 sq. metre loaf space for each animal.

13. Provide proper shade and cool drinking water in summer.

14. In winter keep animals indoor during night and rain.

15. Provide individual bedding daily.

16. Maintain sanitary condition around shed.

17. Control external parasites (ticks, flies etc.) by spraying the pens, sheds with Malathion or Copper sulphate solution.

18. Drain urine into collection pits and then to the field through irrigation channels.

19. Dispose of dung and urine properly. A gobar gas plant will be an ideal way. Where gobar gas plant is not constructed,
convert the dung alongwith bedding material and other farm wastes into compost.

Selection of Animal :

1. Immediately after release of the loan purchase the stock from a reliable breeder or from nearest livestock market.

2. Select healthy, high yielding animals with the help of bank's technical officer, veterinary/animal husbandry officer of State
government/ Zilla Parishad, etc.

3. Purchase freshly calved animals in their second/third lactation.

4. Before purchasing, ascertain actual milk yield by milking the animal three times consecutively.

5. Identify the newly purchased animal by giving suitable identification mark (ear tagging or tattooing).

6. Vaccinate the newly purchased animal against disease.

7. Keep the newly purchased animal under observation for a period of about two weeks and then mix with the general
herd.

8. Purchase a minimum economical unit of two milch animals.

9. Purchase the second animal/second batch after 5-6 months from the purchase of first animal.

10. As buffaloes are seasonal calvers purchase them during July to February.

11. As far as possible purchase the second animal when the first animal is in its late stage of lactation and is about to
become dry, thereby maintaining continuity in milk production vis-a-vis income. This will ensure availability of adequate
funds for maintaining the dry animals.

12. Follow judicious culling and replacement of animals in a herd.

13. Cull the old animals after 6-7 lactations.

Feeding of Milch Animals

1. Feed the animals with best feeds and fodders. (Feeding schedule is given in Anneuxre VIII).

2. Give adequate green fodder in the ration.

3. As far as possible, grow green fodder on your land wherever available.

4. Cut the fodder at the right stage of their growth.

5. Chaff roughage before feeding.

6. Crush the grains and concentrates.

7. The oil cakes should be flaky and crumbly.

8. Moisten the concentrate mixture before feeding.

9. Provide adequate vitamins and minerals. Provide salt licks besides addition of mineral mixture to the concentrate ration.

10. Provide adequate and clean water.

11. Give adequate exercise to the animals. Buffaloes should be taken for wallowing daily. In case this is not possible sprinkle
sufficient water more particularly during summer months.

12. To estimate the daily feed requirement remember that the animals consume about 2.5 to 3.0 percent of their body weight on dry
matter basis.
Regards
Ashwini

sajitgopalan

Here are a few findings after speaking to a couple of experts and based on info gathered from earlier posts and other research
Pros of Desi cows
1. Very healthy milk constituents though the fat content is more the fat and protein ( categorized as A2 milk abroad) are easily digested as compared to exotic breeds.
2. Food requirement and related cost is less as compared to exotic breeds
3. Good immunity and easily acclimatized to Indian conditions, hence the hassle & cost of disease is less
4. Dung and urine excellent for farming

Cons

1. Milk production is less across all Indian breeds in comparison to Exotic breeds.
2. Some of the southern Indian breeds are small or medium in size. These while requiring less feed also have smaller teat sizes & cannot be machine milked.
3. Extremely sensitive and are not as docile as the exotic breeds
4. Has extremely developed maternal instincts and hence milking ideally has to follow feeding the young one, otherwise results in low milk yields and aggressive behavior