Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Current yield of Vegetables and profit gained

Register

Click Here!

aristo25

Hi everyone,

I am planning to start farming in the near future. I am preparing a financial plan to get some loan. But, I need some information to prepare my financial plan. I am planning to cultivate daily use vegetables such as Brinjal, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, drum stick, ladies finger, green chilli, raddish, etc., in a 3 acres of land at Theni, Tamil Nadu.

I am planning to do organic farming and considering that the land is optimum for cultivation will someone be able to tell me approximate kgs of vegetables that I will be able to cultivate in a month? It will be good if you would share any charts that you may have about the yield of vegetables per acre in Tamil Nadu.

padmanabhan_ganesan

Hi everyone,

I am planning to start farming in the near future. I am preparing a financial plan to get some loan. But, I need some information to prepare my financial plan. I am planning to cultivate daily use vegetables such as Brinjal, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, drum stick, ladies finger, green chilli, raddish, etc., in a 3 acres of land at Theni, Tamil Nadu.

I am planning to do organic farming and considering that the land is optimum for cultivation will someone be able to tell me approximate kgs of vegetables that I will be able to cultivate in a month? It will be good if you would share any charts that you may have about the yield of vegetables per acre in Tamil Nadu.
Hi aristo25,

First of all, Congratulation on planning to become a farmer and too Organic Farming.

You can download the information from the links which are available from my blog (under Links Section). The information is available from TNAU website as well. Its a huge document. So, be prepared to spend sometime. Also, they have given information for Hybrid as well as Standard Varieties.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Agriculture for Everybody

aristo25

Hello Sir,

Thanks for the information. We are also looking for funding for our land. Can you give us any suggestions about good funding that would be available for agriculture? We would need about Rs. 5 lakhs to start agriculture in our 3 acres of land.

Thanks
Aristo

aristo25

To Padmanabhan Ganesan,

Hello Sir,

Your blog is very useful and we referred to the pdf documents in your links sections and we got the following information:

Tomato:
Yield
Varieties : 30-40 t / ha
Hybrids : 80-95 t / ha

Cauliflower
Yield
Hills : 20 – 30 t/ha
Plains : 15 – 20 t/ha

Brinjal:
Yield:
Varieties : 25 - 30 t/ha
Hybrids : 60 - 80 t/ha

We wish to know whether each of this yield is for 1 year or is it for each harvesting period.

Also, for tomato the crop duration is given as 135 - 140 days. We are able to understand that it takes around 4 months for first harvest. But, after the first harvest when can we expect our second harvest and how much kg can we expect during our second harvest? Will it be same as first harvest?

Your reply will be very useful for us. Please reply.

padmanabhan_ganesan

To Padmanabhan Ganesan,

Hello Sir,

Your blog is very useful and we referred to the pdf documents in your links sections and we got the following information:

Tomato:
Yield
Varieties : 30-40 t / ha
Hybrids : 80-95 t / ha

Cauliflower
Yield
Hills : 20 – 30 t/ha
Plains : 15 – 20 t/ha

Brinjal:
Yield:
Varieties : 25 - 30 t/ha
Hybrids : 60 - 80 t/ha

We wish to know whether each of this yield is for 1 year or is it for each harvesting period.
[Padmanabhan Ganesan] - This is per season.

Also, for tomato the crop duration is given as 135 - 140 days. We are able to understand that it takes around 4 months for first harvest. But, after the first harvest when can we expect our second harvest and how much kg can we expect during our second harvest? Will it be same as first harvest?
[Padmanabhan Ganesan] - You need to pick Tomatoes everyday based on the ripeness. Usually, the harvest keeps improving from the first pick and then reaches a peak period and slowly reduces. This is what I have gathered from different sources.

Your reply will be very useful for us. Please reply.
See my comments line. I have given the information for Tomato but the same may be applicable for other crops as well.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

aristo25

Thanks for your response, sir.

I wish to clarify that my understanding is correct.

For Tomato: (From pdf)
Season of sowing
May - June and November - December

As per this detail, tomato has two seasons (May - June and Nov - Dec) in a year. So considering that I am going to cultivate hybrid tomato and assuming 80t/ha, does this mean I will get around 160t/ha/year? Please clarify.

Thanks

Last edited:

aristo25

To: Mr. Padmanabhan Ganesan

Hello Sir,

Please reply for my previous message. I am trying to make a financial plan for my organic farming and details provided by you will be very useful for me in this stage. Could you also tell me how much premium pricing will I be able to have for my organic vegetables when compared to conventional vegetables? I saw a link which states that organic vegetables can be priced about 30% higher than the ordinary vegetables. Do you think this is the current market price for organic vegetables? Please reply me.

Thanks

padmanabhan_ganesan

Thanks for your response, sir.

I wish to clarify that my understanding is correct.

For Tomato: (From pdf)
Season of sowing
May - June and November - December

As per this detail, tomato has two seasons (May - June and Nov - Dec) in a year. So considering that I am going to cultivate hybrid tomato and assuming 80t/ha, does this mean I will get around 160t/ha/year? Please clarify.

Thanks
Yes...Your assumption is correct.

padmanabhan_ganesan

To: Mr. Padmanabhan Ganesan

Hello Sir,

Please reply for my previous message. I am trying to make a financial plan for my organic farming and details provided by you will be very useful for me in this stage. Could you also tell me how much premium pricing will I be able to have for my organic vegetables when compared to conventional vegetables? I saw a link which states that organic vegetables can be priced about 30% higher than the ordinary vegetables. Do you think this is the current market price for organic vegetables? Please reply me.

Thanks
Of course each and every place is different... But the premium is about 25% and more and not less than that. Just to get an idea, visit some organic stores in your vicinity or the place where you will be marketing your produce and you will get better insights. You have to compare big retail stores which sell vegetables with the same level or equal organic stores to see the difference in pricing for the same day.

Of course to declare your produce as Organic, you need to have Organic certification and Organic certification can be taken only after 3 years from registration as you have to maintain several documents.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan