Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Agroforestry

Register

Click Here!

setri1

I have few questions regarding taking up agroforestry due to new to agriculture. 1 ) what is minimum size of land preferable to takeup agroforestry concept? 2) what are the plants/saplings that helps in long term (20years and above) wealth creation in wild conditions (less manpower utilization)? 3) what are the plants/saplings that helps in medium term (10years to 20 years) wealth creation ? please do through out ur suggestions considering both abundant water facilities and also depending upon rains i.e. no irrigational facilities.

drsantos

Very nice..
Agroforestry is dynamic, ecological and economical system. you can plan minimum 30 acers of land to develop. woody plantation is better in your case because you have scarcity of manpower. for midterm you can plan teak, subabul and eucalyptus. for long term you can plan Bamboo and acacia. in both irrigation and rainfed conditions these plantations are better.
do not fall on trap with Sandal wood and Red Sandal plantation because of uncertainty in buying. do not plan melia dubia if plywood industries are not nearby

vmap

Sir/madam
Based on availability of labour and water, you can plan eucalyptus and casuarina in case of meagre water sources.you can plan bamboo and teak and Melia dubia if water sources are good.In some of areas Teak is not successful so please choose it if same teak is success in your surrounding areas.Next Amla as well as soap nut is also good.some other forest species are also there and they are valuable.

raashi

Dear Sirs, Statements above from dr. Santos and vmap is suggesting good but not specific to the area. If I plan for Sagar Taluka, Shimoga District. please recommend what is best to deal with. Forestry Department allows drilling of bore well and irrigation purposes or not. How do we determine the area - can it be fenced or benchmarked with painted stones (as done in the survey pitching). What about fruit trees like Jack fruit etc., Give some clear cut lines to operate.

saipranav

I have few questions regarding taking up agroforestry due to new to agriculture. 1 ) what is minimum size of land preferable to takeup agroforestry concept? 2) what are the plants/saplings that helps in long term (20years and above) wealth creation in wild conditions (less manpower utilization)? 3) what are the plants/saplings that helps in medium term (10years to 20 years) wealth creation ? please do through out ur suggestions considering both abundant water facilities and also depending upon rains i.e. no irrigational facilities.
Contact me, want to discuss with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

vmap

Sir/madam
Setri1 asked only suggestions but he did not invite any body to carryout his plan of work. Therefore I had given my suggestion.Infact he not stated his location and it's geographicàl details.I think he is now planning and so he wants to get full pledged knowledge before initiation of his work.