Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Why are people still wasting their time on Jatropha

Register

Click Here!

ramananda

Jatropa is failure.

Gentleman,
Jatropa is not failure, we the farmers have failed or the so called businessmen have gained(cheated).

Jatropa as crop in terms of commercials, is not profitable, because of the labor cost that is involved in collecting. if the farmer who grow and do the activities himself, then it may fetch him his salary. but if you employ then it may be insufficient to pay the labor only.

about the question of yield, so many have tried with fertiliser, nutrients and so many thing. in any case a plant will become commercially viable only after 12 to 15 years. until then it is growth of plant only. the yield is gradually increases as the number of branches multiply.
secondly the tendency of the plant is to grow itself(Increase the vegetation), when ever there is plenty of nutrients. plants start produce seeds when there are mature branches or prematurely,when it feels threatened or available energy is not sufficient keep it self alive.

So if you plant and take care of for about 5 years and forget it. and start collect the seeds when it is profitable to do so( As on now available Diesel or crude, is cheaper then the jatropa growing,seed collection,extracting oil and purify to blend with the diesel). Remember, this jatropa oil is only blended with Diesel in minute quantity and not used as fuel as whole. This was introduced to cut the cost of Diesel, then perhaps the economical viability was not properly studied and there was feeling that the crude oil, which we were pumping out from deep earth would be over and there was scarcity of crude at that point of time to justify the extinction.

Even now if something goes wrong with supply of crude, then we all have but no option then finding alternative mode of fuel to run our show.

So never say Jatropa failed. Its failure of human understanding of nature. it is the result of our tendency and eagerness of earning more and more from doing nothing. Its nothing but, compromised humanity.

phytica

Jatropha is not yet understood

We agree - Jatropha can not be taken as a failure as there is immense potential in it; it has to be understood in all its dimensions - its diversity, response to various agroclimates, its reproductive physiology, diversity in oil composition etc. and work out economical ways of production of selected site specific clones and so on. It will take time.

Industries in countries like ours should take the lead in making necessary investments to bring about appropriate environment to exploit its potential. Industries have been so far tending to just utilize the feedstocks made available by farmers whatever available from less productive seed route plantations escalating the despair of the farmers. Unless farmers are comfortable with the overall economics of their plantations, yes - it would continue to be seen as a failure. It is squarely in the realm of Government (which needs to resolve the concerns of the Industries) and Biofuel industries too to take the call and do the needful; the same holds good for other biofuel yielding tree species as well.

- Phytica
093964 02910

johan

jatropha shrub products and spin-offs / benefits

It has failed worldwide
Dear Sir,

About your statement.
Criteria:
Did you just consider it as a mono culture cash crop for the short term on purely commercial grounds?

Regards,

Johan Schiphorst, IENG. MIET.

johan

Water retention method part of complete project?

[QUOTE=ramananda;13153
Gentleman,
Jatropa is not failure, we the farmers have failed or the so called businessmen have gained(cheated).

My ref: IENG 373111, MIET 505330 registration with IET in GB, jatropha shrub.

Dear Sir,

At present can you tell me please if you use a shredder for making mulch from the twigs and prunings from the branches of the (jatropha) shrub?
What is the make and design of the shredder that you know (if any)?

I noted that the mulch is used for water retention when spread around the base of the shrub and subsequently it turns into compost to enrich the soil of the plant roots.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you, kind regards,

Johan Schiphorst

k1jatrophaoils

Jatropha......

It has failed worldwide
Hello gentleman!!!!!

I want to ask you one simple question!
Do you know how much money being spent by our Govt to keep our three Defence forces?
If Few terror incidents/ strikes take place here and there can we assume that there is no defence in this country?
You can not come to a conclusion on a product without assessing the facts and figures.
Jatropha oil can fuel even a aircraft mind you!!!!!
Jatropha should be a National crop but its due to the idiot state Govts which never worked honestly to initiate the cultivation process anywhere in the country.
I heard land grabbers in India but does not know elsewhere.

Rightly said in another reply here!!!
Labour issue is always there in Indian agriculture and its again due to massive Urbanisation to infect the villagers to migrate to cities for construction and Hotel business in this country.

I invite people here to debate on Jatropha on this charge and I condemn such a blame on a crop without any facts.
I do not want to comment on businessmen or the chetaers rather remind this forum one thing!
Jatropha will be the best crop and ofcourse with proper business model.

I believe in Jatropha cultiavtion in selected areas with a sincere plan.

Bhadrinath.

Last edited:

ramananda

Dear Badrinath,

I noticed something similar to anguish or anger in your threads, against Govt. I could sense the same almost in all of your posts or quotes. somewhere you have said bloody Govt. The Govt s are already subsidising so much, that it may not at all sustainable and if it continuous, our countrymen may become totally corrupt.

I do not understand why, being a businessman, any one want to be dependent on Govt help or subsidy. Practically,anything that is in demand will get profit. any businessman will first study the profitability rather then any benefit it may bring in to common man, from any technology or the concept.

about multinational investing in this plants is altogether different issue, that is neither discussed nor disclosed. They find it to be more profitable promoting the cultivation then actually extracting oil and marketing. This is some thing similar to the concept,carbon credit, which was a business by force( related with Global warming), rather then for the profitability. there is no technology involved, it is purely concept trading.

By this time Bio diesel or any thing alternative wood have become reality, if the businessman's have not attempted to realise the Technology of converting shallow gas and oil from deep sea,which is steel cheaper or more profitable then Jatropa.

ohene

jatropha the perfect feedstock

It has failed worldwide
How can you make such a blank statement that 'jatropha has failed the world'.What is the basis of your arguement?Do you have 1 ha jatropha farm?What model are you using for your justification?

banana_guy

Everyone I know associated with Jatropha has come out of it or regrets getting into it..
I have yet to see/read about somebody who has made it big with it..Maybe y'all are the dedicated bunch who would always be pro jatropha no matter what.. :)

Good luck!

k1jatrophaoils

Jatropha failed worldwide....

Hello friend!

Everyone is good at their own approach be it Jatropha or something else.
The fact is there is no problem at all as for as the product jatropha is concerned and the only issue is how best it can yield in a short term to a grower with limited use of man power that is all.

Its better we insert new thoughts on devloping this product say finding a gentically modified breed besides mechanical plantation and harvest to improvise the Jatropha plantation successfully in driest areas or never used lands in India.

Bhadrinath.

lokeshj

Hi Freinds
I think jatropha as plant would gain tremendous demand in the near future as per the proposed policy of the govt. i.e mandating the blending of biodiesel with the normal one.
I myself is looking forward to start with jatropha plantation can anyone help me with some inputs