Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Subsidy on Seed

Register

Should private seed companies be included in subsidy program ?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Mr. Sandeep Goel, Director Astha Beej invites opinions on -

National Food Security Mission gives subsidy on seeds in order to increase seed replacement ratio in every state. Seed companies from public and private sector both have same seed procurement procedures, certification, quality and also the rates. However, these days farmers only buy seeds from public seed companies as they get higher subsidy. Unfortunately private seed companies inspite of contributing Rs. 1500 crore annual turnover to the Indian seed industry is facing sales turmoil due to these subsidy. I strongly feel private companies should also be included in this seed subsidy program. What are your thoughts?

Contact Details-
Astha Beej
M - 9412089997
Email - asthabeej@yahoo.com

avdheshyadav

hello sir,
Yes you are right. Have you any private seeds shop. If you are provides franchi in uttar pradesh.
I have proposal do work together and sell good quality seeds in uttar pradesh and increase their productvity.
If you agree to my proposal. Please reply me soon.

Thanks,
Avdhesh yadav
mob-7827756715
e-mail avdheshmca2010@gmail.com

editorialteam

Dr. Usha Barwale Zehr, Chief Technology officer MAHYCO-Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company says,

I agree that the private companies should also participate in the government programs and we are already doing so to a certain extent. The requirements for participation in the subsidy programs are not always easy and to get products recognized for the subsidy program takes time even though the same product is preferred by the farmers and is already in the market. In my opinion, a product which is already commercialized and has significant market presence should be allowed to be considered for subsidy so the farmer has the best product for planting and harvesting the highest possible yield.

MAHYCO-Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company
Dawalwadi, PO Box 76, Jalna (MS) 431203, India
Ph: 02482262371-375
Email: usha.zehr@mahyco.com
Web: Mahyco

editorialteam

Mr. Hanumantha Rao, Ganga Kaveri Seeds Pvt. Ltd says-

The public seed companies are to a great extent limited to Paddy, Wheat, Pulses and Oilseeds. In Corn, Millet, Sunflower, Hybrid and Research Paddy the private sector has been able to demonstrate significant performance advantage. As a result for these products a high percentage of the market is in the hands of the private sector. Also private sector is included in subsidy programs in all states.

Ganga Kaveri Seeds Pvt. Ltd
1406, Babukhan Estate
Bashirbagh, Hyderabad (A.P.), INDIA
Tel: 23242450/51, 23233518, 44347222 / 66667222/ 23 / 24 /25
Mob: 98666 79227
Email: ch.rao@gangakaveri.in
Web: -::- Gangakaveri -::-

editorialteam

Dr. Manish Patel, Executive Director, Incotec says-

I am on board of National Seed Association of India - New Delhi as Governing Council member and I am also on board of Asia Pacific Seed Association - Bangkok (Thailand) as 2nd Vice President, we discussed this issue of subsidy many times across table during various meeting of association. Our stand to Government is that we don't want Government to announce any subsidy in seed sector. Seed is major inputs in agriculture by way of its role but input cost wise its tiny part of agriculture as compared to fertilizers and pesticide so better not to touch upon freedom of farmer by attracting them towards subsidy in seed sale price. Farmer should choose their own seed based on its traits and key benefits and not on basis of its subsidized price. If this happen, automatically food production will get hiked up. To improve seed replacement ratio in country, there are plenty of suggestions from our Seed association to Govt. of India on which Government should focus. For example to announce back ended subsidy scheme to grower directly on specific crops if they achieve per acre certain yield level etc. By the way annual turnover of Indian seed industry is now crossing 2 billion USD

Incotec
47-Mahagujarat Industrial Estate
Opp Pharmalab, Sarkhej Bavla Highway
A.t: Moraiya Ta.: Sanand, Ahmedabad - 382 213
Mob: 09825046614
Email: manish.patel@incotec.com
Web: INCOTEC Central Asia - incotec.com

editorialteam

Mr. H.K. Prakash, Founder, HK Global Enterprise says-

Instead of thinking on commercial concerns, we should think from the farmer’s side too. He is ready to work hard and definitely he wants better results with minimum investment. So he always takes the cheapest market for his agriculture products. The government should make sure that he gets the better quality seed and machinery for his value paid. In return if he supplies good crop in good volume the final benefit is to all common man.

HK Global Enterprise
450, 1ST MAIN ROAD, SOWMYA KALI NAGAR, ANDRAHALLI,
NEAR PEENYA 2ND STAGE,
Bengaluru - 560058, Karnataka, India
Mob: 9980400241
Email: jyothiprakashhk@gmail.com
Web: Vermi Compost,Vermi Compost Beds,Vermi Compost Supplier,Trader

editorialteam

Dr. N. Barathi, Director, Growmore Biotech says-

I fully agree with you that the subsidy should be provided to all seed companies at par. In fact, the hybrid seeds in vegetables and other crops were made popular only by private seed companies and I don't find good role of either Govt. or the public seed companies. On the other side, if a seed is performing good there is no influence of subsidy on the sale of seed. If bank can give sufficient loan, farmer can adopt good agronomy and buy good seed, even if it is expensive. The increase in yield, in turn return on investment would make the farmer to choose agri inputs with no subsidy. Definitely subsidized seeds would make private seed companies to increase the sales volume which would make the seed companies profitable and invest money in further R & D for the development of newer variety.

Growmore Biotech
41-B Sipcot, Phase II, HOSUR - 635 109
Tamil Nadu, Phone: 04344 260564, 260565
Email: barathigrowmore@yahoo.com / barathinambi@gmail.com
Web: Plant tissue culture from Growmore Bio-tech Ltd.