Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Software Professionals Turned Farmers

Register

Click Here!

madhuiyengar

Hello All,

I see previous thread with this subject line is closed. And also I see the last update on the previous thread was 2010 Feb.

I guess and hope there would be lot more people started farming and also the ones who had started made some progress in that direction

Please share your learnings , progress and sufferings so that we all can learn from our experiences..

Please have a look at my progress and learnings below. All creative comments suggestions are most welcome.

Hope to hear from you all soon..

Last edited by a moderator:

ganapati

Agricultural land at post Dehen, Tal. Dapoli, Dist. Ratnagiri,Maharashtra

Nothing much :)

1. Learnings
2. New ideas implemented
3. Places where we can get some rare plants etc...
Agricultural land ranging from less than Rs. 1 lakh/acre to Rs. 3,00,000/acre is available adjacent to my following property (contour map available on Email on request):-
PROPERTY AT DEHEN
1. I own a small, hilly, laterite land admeasuring 7.5 acres (17º 51’41” N, 73º 9’ 15” E – Earmarked on Wikimapia as RUDRAKSHA FARM)) at post Dehen, Tal. Dapoli, Dist. Ratnagiri of Konkan region in Maharashtra. Dehen is a small village, 28 km. from Mandangad ( A taluka place),on Mandangad-Anjarle Road and 20 km. from Dapoli (Nearest Taluka place).
2. There are 100, 5 yrs. old mango plants & 25 fruiting cashew nut plants.
3. My interest is to grow Rudraksha (Elaeocarpus ganitrus) varieties (Total 350 all over the world known in Australia as Blue Berry Ash/Quandong.
4. The project includes development of a "Nakshatravan" as well.
5. The land has a kuccha well admeasuring 25 feet in diameter, kuccha approach road admeasuring 1100 ft.in length & 15 ft. in breadth,10 HP power connection & a pucca house admesuring 450 sq. ft. with three rooms & veranda.
6. The entire land is fenced as per the Government Demarcation, saucer shaped with a flat bottom admeasuring 1 acre at height 80 M above sea level, peripheral height(rim) 105 M above sea level with a gradient of about 30 degree.
7. Konkan season is heavy rains in monsoon (4 months) followed by scarcity of water for 8 months, very hot & humid in summer(sea shore at 8 km.).

anil1956

software professionals

Dear Madhu,

I went through your website and noted the contents. It is a good case study how not to do farming as I see that your daily diary telling how non profitable things were planned and how timely operations were not done,how economies of scale was not used or planned.....I am sure in your software company such untimely operations, failure to execute etc., find place.

No body should plan to fail, there should be proper technology, proper management and proper investment and NO FAILURE except for acts of God or unforeseen events happening.

So software professionals should look into professional approach and ensure success this is akin to any other industry or service.

with best wishes

anil1956@hotmail.com

Hello All,

I see previous thread with this subject line is closed. And also I see the last update on the previous thread was 2010 Feb.

I guess and hope there would be lot more people started farming and also the ones who had started made some progress in that direction

Please share your learnings , progress and sufferings so that we all can learn from our experiences..

Please have a look at my progress and learnings below. All creative comments suggestions are most welcome.

Hope to hear from you all soon..

https://sites.google.com/site/swathifarm/

madhuiyengar

Dear Anil,

That's exactly the point why I approached this forum.

Also as I am not full time into this and have supporting hand in getting things done we are lacking in progress..

But the plan was always to start slow and understand various models people have been using....

may be we can exchange some ideas offline this forum...

Thanks for visiting the site though..

Specific pointers about the failures are more than welcome....