Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Software Professionals Turned Farmers

Register

Click Here!

nishavk76

Hi,

how can i get in touch with you to understand more about farming.
we are planning to get into farming in karnataka.

Guys:

It is not only IT professionals who seek Agriculture as an opportunity but die hard professionals with IIT/IIM and CA background who make over 4-5 million a year.

Anyone who wants to pursue agriculture seriously first will have to have a passion for it. It requires tremendous amount of patience, perseverence and hard work to make things happen. Guys, you are used to project management in IT. You are aware how you find it difficult to hand educated subordinates in trying to understand a process before they step into coding. The mindset of the farm hands are a lot different. The dynamics are different.

You will have to spend precious time in seeing how thing work at various farms. Look at and process followed, the practices followed and look beyond the normal process to refine some of the practices. That is where the challenge is.

You should be willing to experiement with various formats. Agri management has essentially the following components:
1. Soil preparation
2. Soil management
3. Crop selection
4. Seed selection
5. Crop planting and management
6. Pest control
7. Water management
8. Fertiliser appplication
9. Weed management
10.Harvesting
11. Marketing.

In all the above, there are inefficiencies. You will have to choose techniques which suit the local farm hands to adapt themselves.

The process is typical of any project management techniques. Only thing in agriculture is that you are at the mercy of nature.

Mechanisation is possible if the holdings are large. Water management techniques can be best implemented in large holdings.

Thumb rule today is that you can make around say 25-30K net in an acre if you have water. Some long term plants lime the casurina give a return of about 75-80K in 30 months with just the initial 6 months of effort. It is not very water intensive to cultivate it.

My own experience shows that if you give your best, you get the best. Just to conclude, we are half a dozen professionals who do farming along side our profession/job. It is just that we incorporate effective management practices built over the years.

End of the day, you sweat it out to get the best out of agriculture. Guys living for large part of your time in Airconditioned atmosphere, you will have no choice than to shed some sweat if you want it to make it big in agri.

There is tremendous opportunity available in the long run. Nothing succeeds like food business. You will have to feed the business with your produce. That is where the magic is.

p_k_nandanan

Paddy cultivation

Hi,

Nice to see your passion in paddy cultivation. You can try SRI (System of Rice Intensification) method of paddy cultivation. Basically in this method, only one rice plant is trasplanted with a distance of 1 feet by 1 feet and also transplanted within 10 days (just google to find the exact details). Another important difference is that flooding is avoided, which will supply more air to the plants and soil microbes and plants will come up more stronger. There will be problem of more weeds which can be put back to soil, by using some mechanical weeders.

You can also read about Fukuoka's methods, it may be better to start with One straw revolution which will give good introduction about natural farming. Also they are others like Subash Palekar who also practices a different version of natural farming.

My email ID - , can send you some more details

Regards,
Nandan

Last edited by a moderator:

nishhere

Hi,

I am impressed with your comments on this thread and want to learn from your experience.

I am a manager in s/w firm and want to get in agriculture field.Primary reason is that I feel a lot of improvement can be made in agricuture field and in-turn to the quality of life for many people.At the same time,agriculture is financially rewarding as well.

I don't have any experience in agri business.I want to get full time into agri.

Can you please advise me what all planning I should do before that? And any suggested roadmap to get into agri?

Thanks in advance,

Hi All,

Its great to see so many IT folks interested in Agriculture.
As Mr.Sands pointed out its "Passion" which is the key word for Agri business.
Its not advised to venture into agriculture If you are looking at ROI's & expecting high returns from day one, returns will be on a slower pace in agriculture.

"Krushi tho nasthi durbiksham"

rijusam

Great forum..........

We are samll group of guys working for a leading BPO in the mid level managment and we recently decided to start a polutry and goat farm - Its just an Acre of land with just a few country chicken and and few goats, we expecting an initial capital of 4 lakhs Rs...........the return that we expect after 3 -4 years of hardwork and proper planning is around 6-10 lakhs per person which by God's grace is achievble.......initially we are planning to setup a small farm - say around 200 chicken and some 20 goats - this is juat to learn the knacks of this venture........we are doing this because we want to get rid of the stress and un passionate jobs that we are forced to do these days for our living........we encourage all those IT/ITES professional to indulge in these kind of endeavors.....if you require any help from our side on setting up a farm..... pls contact us

Kind Regards

tigi

Hi Guys,
I am seeing in some sites that many young Software Professionals in India have become farmers. But I have a basic question in my mind for those IT guys who have turned farmers. The income one earn in these two profession is totally uncomparable. I hope, the average annual income one gets in agriculture will be equal to the average monthly income one gets in IT industry. And also, the income from agriculture will not be regular as it is monthly in IT. How are you guys managing? Please give your tips and techniques on this.
Dear Arumugham
This is mostly bull-shit about IT people going into farming etc. Some IT people may be investing into farming- this is routine- people with exess income invest into real estate/farm house etc.
Mostly these are stories based on some people having invested into land/farming. On the basis of such investment - some clever people come out with schemes promising fantastic %% returns- it is just commonsense if such returns were available at minimum risk, everyone will be after it.
For IT professionals with income to spare, some of it gets invested into Farms- some will get fooled by clever people promising big returns.
If you plan to invest into any such scheme- my advice is - as a minimum, atleast ensure that land equivalent to your investment is registered in your name- else your money will evaporate and the clever operator will have land in his name !!
BEST OF LUCK

askichloo

Hi friends,

Found this thread chain really helpfull and encouraging and comforting too!! I am an IT professional and good to see so many people thinking the same way I'm! Ultimately Agriculture is mother of all Business. :)

Regards,
Amruta

rprabhu

Hi,
Carefull Planning is needed in the projects you choose and it also differs for each location.You should have Practical knowledge or hire a trusted knowledgeble person to run your project.You can start in small scale and expand it with experience.If you get into agri profession to relive stress and as a hobby then choose your projects with minimun investment and risk.

Regards.
where do you get such a trusted knowledgeable person to run the project?

prem_jana

Hello All,

I have 8 years of experience in IT industry, and looking to do some other business but my intrest lying on Agriculture.

I dont have long term plan to be in IT field and I cant really...

We sold out all the lands what we had before..:(, Now I am looking for land to purchase and the prices are gone now..

When I see this thread I am happy that educated(Not only IT) peoples are turning into Agriculture.

Its a good turn and this is the proof for next revelution will be Agriculture...!

If educated peoples are stepping into agri that will lead to innovation..! No doubts..

SWAMY1807

Dear Guests to Agriculture field.
It is just and necessary for all of us to understand the basic need for us is food. If you know the art of growing your food, than it is happy further.

Nowadays, all those went for job leaving their lands are rethinking and trying to do some cultivation in their lands and those who sold out their lands are feeling bad for that.

Any have take serious note that Agriculture is like infant and your 100% dedication is required to get fruitful results from Agriculture. I noticed that some people selecting a single branch (for example Dairy)of Agriculture and ditching them self towards that.

If any one wants to see their feature in Agriculture, than they should adopt sustainable farming practices along with all possible ancillary activities like Dairy, Poultry etc.

One acre land is enough for one family if properly proceeded and they can see the returns within 60 days from the date its start.

Finally, all should know that the person will win the game in Agriculture who knows the better marketing skills please note.

If properly applied crop patron, than you will get retruns like how a bank can get daily collection of pygmy, weekly collections of SB Accounts, Monthly returns like recovery from loans extended and short term fixed deposit like once in Year. Finally bumper yield like long term fixed deposit.

Thats why it is an Art for life.
All the best for new comers.
Regards,
SWAMY
EIGHT ONE TWO THREE ZERO ONE NINE SIX SEVEN EIGHT

prem_jana

There are many well educated peoples looking to step into agri/farming, Some peoples writting their thoughts or future plans in such a forums, others silently watching and gathering informations, difficulties on this field and new trends etc..

I experienced this from my co-workers/frineds and other informational sites.

Recently I went for one day farming training conducted near Chennai..There were 86 peoples came to attend that training among that neraly 60 peoples working in IT and other industries and they recorded that program for the peoples working in abroad( seems many peoples requested) to send in CD format.

Please dont sell your agriculture lands, That will be your future earning field.

sureshm454

Pig farming

Hi All,

I am from the same IT industry working for the past 8 yrs. Recently I have ventured into Pig Farming in Chennai (Nandhini Farms). I started it before 6 months with all the finance that I had in a small level. Now I have started Making money of it without facing any such big risks as discussed in this forum above. All we require is the dedication and passion to stabilize the food chain. We all should understand its not only a business but its our duty to produce food and transfer the responsibility to our generations.

Food Production is always the mother of all inventions. I am here to offer all the help in Pig farming (we offer piglets and buy back the pigs on agreement). Anybody interested can Google us Nandhini Farms Chennai.

Thanks,
Suresh M

cyborg_jp

My experience in farming

I am an I.T. support professional and recently ventured into purchasing farm land (dry) and still developing it. My bit of advice is do it only if you have experienced friends/relatives/consultant in that area who can guide you properly. Else you will be stripped off your hard earned money in no time. Banks shy away from offering loans and corrupt govt. officials will make your life miserable for getting approvals and documents. Go for only long term less risky horticulture or timber trees. Or else, just go for 1 or 2 acres of shade-net/poly house based farming or floriculture nearer to the city where you or your spouse can take care during the weekends.
Do not give up your job for farming but learn to handle it both with help of trusted people and technology. Once your farm starts to provide good returns, you will feel less stressed and more secure and will enjoy both modern life as well as occasional country life. This may take roughly 3 years for the returns to start and by this time you may have overshoot your budget to two to three times. So this is not for the faint hearted or comfort loving guys who expect everything to be done by the click of the mouse.
Remember Murphy's law applicable to farming:
1.)If anything can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment.
2.) Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
3.) In order to get a loan, you must first prove you don't need it.
4.) Anything you try to fix will take longer and cost you more than you thought.
5.) When you build a system that even a fool can use, only a fool will use it. 6.)Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.
7.) Whatever you want to do, is Not possible, what ever is possible for you to do, you don't want to do it. And finally......
8.) Any thing that can go wrong, HAS Already Gone Wrong!You just haven't been notified.
All the best and take care!
--JP

Hi Guys,
I am seeing in some sites that many young Software Professionals in India have become farmers. But I have a basic question in my mind for those IT guys who have turned farmers. The income one earn in these two profession is totally uncomparable. I hope, the average annual income one gets in agriculture will be equal to the average monthly income one gets in IT industry. And also, the income from agriculture will not be regular as it is monthly in IT. How are you guys managing? Please give your tips and techniques on this.

narasinga

My Views

Hello Everyone, I'm an IT professional and currently farming at a very small scale. I have recently returned to India and want to take up farming on a full time basis.

My reasons for getting into farming are more passion than purpose. I would like to offer my views. I think all careers a career in farming also require careful consideration, planning and preparation.

I agree with someone here who made a very valid point about IT professional's interest in farming i think it has to primarily do with increased disposable income. Many IT pros are buying land as an investment (I do not consider that to be wrong at all).

For all those who are planning to get into farming, please do not think in terms of % of returns/profits they will make in x no. of years etc., I think that is a very flawed thinking in the start. But one needs to think of returns at a much later stage of you farming career. Remember you cannot offer yourself an increment before you begin the year.

Like all of you know the most important requirement for farming is land. So first thing to do is purchase the land below are some of things to consider

a) Clear Titles
b) Distance to your existing place
c) Access to road
d) Gradient of the land
e) Source of water (either in the form of bore, open well, or nearby ponds/lakes etc/.)
f) Rainfall pattern
h) Type of soil
I) Neighbors etc., etc.,

Except for Item 1 everything else is subjective and will depend on one's needs & budget.

In terms of practical guidance I would strongly encourage buying land in area where you have some roots/connections eg: native village/relatives/friends etc., this will help you in access to resources & information. Another common problem seems to be that of acreage to buy, again it is very simple driven buy budget. I know farmers who are profitable and hold very small land i.e. 1 acre+ and some are supersized 150+ acres.

My land hunt process has been on for a long time and I suggest if you planning to buy agri land begin at the earliest. It may take a few years and many weekends of travel to find your piece. Another tip I have is, if you have a few friends/relatives who are interested in agri land try and buy at one place at least you will be able to share costs i.e. like a watch man, single bore etc.,

Whilst you continue your hunt for the land start reading agriculture related news/information. Begin with the regional dailies if you are Kannadiga read Prajavani every Tuesday & Kannada Prabha & Udayavani on Monday. Subscribe to Agri magazines, again if you are kannadiga you can get a list of agri publications here Centre for Agricultural Media [CAM]. I'm sure there are many such publications in almost all Indian languages. Another good source of information is the farmer programmes aired early morning on TV.

In these newspapers/TVs/Magazines there is rich information on successful farmers/techniques/varieties/practices etc.,

Another good way to learn before you actually step in would be to visit successful farmers, there are many farmer heroes across India, and if you are keen you will find them. Know them ask them about lessons learnt, do's & don’ts etc., I have found most of them very willing to help. Be respectful of their time and be polite when you visit them, call them before you go.

Hopefully, you would have found your dreamland and now ready to begin. Before you start hands on work, I would suggest one consider attending training you will find many places to go, BASIL - Academic Training in Organic and Biodynamic Agriculture for National Interest of Healthy Soil & Healthy Living, Subash Palekar, Bio dynamic association of India and many more offer some sort of training.

All these will ensure you minimize mistakes and are set-up for success. Once you have purchased the land there a few things you need to invest in like
a) Fence to prevent grazing & protect your property from disputes
b) A Water source
c) Shaping the land (to make it ready for agri & also water and soil conservation)
d) Improve soil fertility (there are many methods of doing it please pick whatever suits you)

In my judgement these are pre-requisite before you plant your first crop.

I want to digress a bit here and dismiss the claim that you need a lot of experience in farming. I think you need a lot of experience in everything; before you were an IT Pro you were an amateur and even before that you were a college student, so as you continue you will get better and make fewer mistakes. The reason most farmers in our country is fail is because there are not scientific, disciplined and organized. I do agree there are genuine cases of bad luck and events of god. But farm productivity is very low in India. Many farmers I know are not even hands on. So please remember whatever it takes to be successful in any career take the same in farming too, interest in what you are doing, a curios mind, humility, ability to experiment & learn, hard work, discipline etc., etc.,

Coming back to farming, I suggest one take a phased/multi year approach developing your farm

a) Phase 1/ Year 1
Complete the paperwork
Fence the property
Dig a Bore well
Get power connection
Build a small house/hut etc.,
Explore the possibilities of improving soil fertility +growing the first crop (grains or pulses)
Design the farm i.e. Identify areas for fruit crops/grains/house/veggies etc.,

b) Phase 2/ Year 2
- Plant trees on the fence
- Plan the fruit orchard
What variety
How many per acre
Source & cost of planting material etc., etc.,
- Design & implement the drip irrigation
- Plant fruit orchard
- Grow some short term/medium crops

Some of the ideas I got from successful farmers are

a) Soil fertility is very important
b) Moisture is required by plants not water/flooding
c) Diversity is important (not just one crop but crops that can yield through the year)
d) Clear understanding of markets
e) Quality of the produce is very important to get the right price
f) Think & plan way ahead for your next crop
g) Extensively use things like intercropping both in orchards & otherwise
h) Go for a tree based farming system
I) Quality Planting material/variety is very very important
j) Start small and based on experience scale up/down

Please do not consider farming as a romantic idea it is challenging and hard work but fun for those interested in it. I find buying land to be the most difficult part of the work. I wish you all good luck. Hope this was useful.

As you will notice if you apply logical thinking and yields/returns will come, be prudent in spending your money. And please do not apply a standard template by that I mean if you find a successfully mango farmer just do not plant all your farmland with mango.

arckanna

Hitech Agro - Manager

Hi Guys,
May be with proper planning and continuous effort will yeild good income than IT field. We need to encourage the young guys to promote Agricultural growth

arckanna

Hitech Agro farm - Partner

Hi All,

I am from the same IT industry working for the past 8 yrs. Recently I have ventured into Pig Farming in Chennai (Nandhini Farms). I started it before 6 months with all the finance that I had in a small level. Now I have started Making money of it without facing any such big risks as discussed in this forum above. All we require is the dedication and passion to stabilize the food chain. We all should understand its not only a business but its our duty to produce food and transfer the responsibility to our generations.

Food Production is always the mother of all inventions. I am here to offer all the help in Pig farming (we offer piglets and buy back the pigs on agreement). Anybody interested can Google us Nandhini Farms Chennai.

Thanks,
Suresh M
Dear Mr.Suresh,
Appreciate your confidence and social responsibility.

We are having 11 acrs in Hill area- very remote place. We have procured the land for Piggery for form. Because financial problem so far (5 yrs) the action was not done. After the Swine flue, our idea is slowly dropping. I surprise to see your message that you are dealing with Pig form. Can you please inform how the future for Pig form?

Kannan
Coimbatore
Mobile:9894792689

farms2

Hi All,

I work with Village Organics Pvt. Ltd, a company that was formed by Scientist, biologist and promoters, with an intention to bring back Indians towards sustainable Agriculture.
Few of the project highlights include;

 Maximum Investment Security
 Ethical Plantation Management
 Un-attended Income for Investors
 Sustainable Organic Farming

Village Organics Pvt. Ltd has a vision, ‘ Promote Collective Farming and Sustainable Agriculture among Indians who do not have time or expertise in agriculture management’.

We have managed to keep the investment at rock-bottom prices, manage risk effectively and provide maximum investment security with the help of contributions from renowned scientists and biologists like Dr. H.S. Anantha Padmanabha (IWST), Acharya Muralidhar Reddy (Professor), Mr. S.V.L Prasad, Mr. Srinivas Rao among others.

Highlighters:

• Gated farming with in-house swimming pool and bamboo cottages.
• Project being managed by renowned Scientists & Biologists having 40+ years of exp.
• 300 sandalwood, 100 mango and 50 teakwood per acre
• Project approved for claimable insurance of 4.5 crores INR per acre.
• Project planned with all contingency planning such as
1) Organic pest management preparation
2) Rain Water harvesting management system
3) Ground water recharging management.
4) Windmill for alternate dependency on electricity.

• Adaptation of cutting edge technology for crop protection.
• Land ownership in the name of investor giving complete control of investment.
• Minimum investment requires is as low as 3 lakhs.

Available in 1200 SqYds, 2400 Sq Yds and 4800 SqYds

tkswaran

Is anybody alive on this Thread

I am interested in this topic as well. Right now I am volunteering at an organic farm near my house.. learning a lot. I am also learning sanskrit to tap into our ancient farming techniques..

If anybody is interested, I would like to discuss more and may be arrange a conf call or something... Please let me know.

nilemilk

Milk Dairy is on Rent/Lease in Tamilnadu

Dear friend,

You should know the real reason why many IT persons are looking at other avenues for earning. First the life is highly stress full in IT industry, one needs to update himself constantly. Second hire and fire works like anything. If the company completes one project and is not getting a similar project the company simply fires the team/keeps them on bench for some time. This thought itself is stress full. As age advances and people turn 35 the tension increases.

Now I meet many IT, IIM grads seeking consultancy for projects in agri areas. It is possible to make one or two lacs a month in simple business, only thing is hard working entrepreneur is required.

In agri many people fail or suffer because they do not plan. It requires a lot of experience to properly put a project idea in place. Secondly forward and backward linkages establishing is a must for success.

At last I must say hardly 1 per cent of IT guys really take up agriculture as profession and they back out once they study the details of the projects. But please note 24 % return can be achived only in agro based projects. Agro based projects are better than traditional industries in profitability.

anil patil
Hi,
As I want to give my Milk Packing Dairy Plant on lease/rental so if you (or) your friends are interested on the same please contact me at 9787741403/09762007650
Please find below the complete details of the plant and location.
1. Complete details with the list of equipment’s
Milk Can
Milk Crade
Packet Machine
Homogenizer Machine
Head Boiler
Air Compressor
Ammonia Compressor
Curd Machine
Weight Scale
Milk Cylo
Ammonia Receiver
Milk Chiller
Packet Milk Storage Room
ICE Bank Tank
Milk Dump Tank
Lab
Cream Separator

2. Plant Capacity
3000 Ltr/Hour
3. Machines Make rent
• Packing machine - Samarpan
• Air Compressor - ELGI
• Head Boiler - ESS KAY
• Packed Milk Storage Room - Blue Star
• Ammonia Compressor - Frick ammonia compressor
• Milk Chiller - F Max Systems
• ICE Bank Tank Capacity - 25000 LTR.
• Homogenizer - Harvestor.
4. Present condition
• Good Running
5. Last date of stopped the production?
• 13/05/2012
6. The main reason for stopping production?
• I am going to onsite.
7. Profit you are getting per month.
• 3/ltr
8. No. of years of actual usage
9. No. of years of idle (without production)
• N/A
11. Location
MM Dairy Products,
Avinangudi Village & Post,
Tittagudi Taluk , Vridhachalam , Cuddalore District,
Pin – 606112.Tamil Nadu, India

nilemilk

Milk Dairy is on Rent/Lease in Tamilnadu

Hi Guys,
Hi,
As I want to give my Milk Packing Dairy Plant on lease/rental so if you (or) your friends are interested on the same please contact me
Please find below the complete details of the plant and location.
1. Complete details with the list of equipment’s
Milk Can
Milk Crade
Packet Machine
Homogenizer Machine
Head Boiler
Air Compressor
Ammonia Compressor
Curd Machine
Weight Scale
Milk Cylo
Ammonia Receiver
Milk Chiller
Packet Milk Storage Room
ICE Bank Tank
Milk Dump Tank
Lab
Cream Separator

2. Plant Capacity
3000 Ltr/Hour
3. Machines Make rent
• Packing machine - Samarpan
• Air Compressor - ELGI
• Head Boiler - ESS KAY
• Packed Milk Storage Room - Blue Star
• Ammonia Compressor - Frick ammonia compressor
• Milk Chiller - F Max Systems
• ICE Bank Tank Capacity - 25000 LTR.
• Homogenizer - Harvestor.
4. Present condition
• Good Running
5. Last date of stopped the production?
• 13/05/2012
6. The main reason for stopping production?
• I am going to onsite.
7. Profit you are getting per month.
• 3/ltr
8. No. of years of actual usage
9. No. of years of idle (without production)
• N/A
11. Location