Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Rabbit farming

Register

Click Here!

ghanwats

Hi,

Request you to provide me the detail information on rabbit farming like what is the investment what are the requirements etc.

Ashwini

Hi

Advantages of Rabbit Farming

* By rabbit rearing one can produce a quality protein rich meat for his own family
* Rabbits can be fed with easily available leaves, waste vegetables, grains available in the home
* Growth rate in broiler rabbits is very high. They attain 2 kgs at the age of three months
* Litter size (Number of young ones born/ kindling) in rabbits is high (around 8-12)
* When compared to the other meats rabbit meat contain high protein (21%) and less fat (8%). So this meat is suitable for all age groups from adults to children

Heavy weight breeds (4-6 kg )

* White giant
* Grey giant
* Flemish giant
Medium weight breeds (3-4 kg)

* Newzealand white
* Newzealand red
* Californian

Light weight breeds (2-3 kg)

* Soviet chinchilla
* Dutch
Rabbits can be reared at the backyard with in a small shed which can be constructed with a small investment. To protect rabbits from the climatic conditions such as in hot summer, rain and to protect them from dogs, cats construction of shed is necessary.

Rabbits can be reared in two system of housing

Deep litter system

This method is suitable for rearing small number of rabbits. To prevent rabbits to dig burrows the floor the floor should be made up of concrete. The Litter materials such as paddy husk, paddy straw or wood shavings can be filled up to 4-6 inches from the floor. Deep litter system is not suitable for rearing more than 30 rabbits. Male rabbits should be housed separately. This type of housing is not suitable for intensive system of rearing. Rabbits reared in deep litter system are more susceptible to diseases. Management of bunnies also very difficult in deep litter system.

Cage system
Floor space requirement

* Adult male rabbit – 4 square feet (S.ft)
* Dam – 5 S.ft
* Bunnies – 1.5 S.ft

Adult rabbit cage
Adult rabbit cage should have 1.5 feet length, 1.5 feet breadth and 1.5 feet height. This cage is suitable for one adult rabbit or two growing rabbits
Growing rabbit cage

* Length- 3 feet
* Breadth- 1.5 feet
* Height- 1.5 feet

The above sized cage is suitable for 4-5 rabbits up to 3 months age.
Cages for kindling
The cage size for growing rabbits is sufficient for the rabbits going to be kindled. But the bottom and sides of the cage should be made up of weld mesh of 1.5 X 1.5 inches. This used to prevent the young bunnies to come out of the cage.
Nest box
To provide safer and calm environment during kindling the nest box is essential. This nest boxes can be made up of galvanized iron or wood. Nest box size should be in such a way to keep inside the kindling cage.

Signs in diseased rabbits

* Dull and depressed
* Reduction in the body weight and emaciation
* Heavy loss of hair
* No active movement of rabbits. But usually they stay in one particular place in the cage
* Reduction of feed intake
* Watery or mucous discharge from the eye, nose, anus and mouth
* Increased body temperature and respiratory rate

Regards
Ashwini

rajareddy003

Hi ashwin,

Plz provide some rabbit farmers address/phone numbers. I want to know rela time how this will work before introducing the rabbit meat in my native place in huge amount.

regards
Raja

raman119

rabbits

Hi,

Request you to provide me the detail information on rabbit farming like what is the investment what are the requirements etc.
we are in rabbit farming and for full information on this business pl contact me , i hv made research b on this

Last edited by a moderator:

raman119

Hi

* By rabbit rearing one can produce a quality protein rich meat for his own family
* Rabbits can be fed with easily available leaves, waste vegetables, grains available in the home
* Growth rate in broiler rabbits is very high. They attain 2 kgs at the age of three months
* Litter size (Number of young ones born/ kindling) in rabbits is high (around 8-12)
* When compared to the other meats rabbit meat contain high protein (21%) and less fat (8%). So this meat is suitable for all age groups from adults to children

* White giant
* Grey giant
* Flemish giant

* Newzealand white
* Newzealand red
* Californian

* Soviet chinchilla
* Dutch
Rabbits can be reared at the backyard with in a small shed which can be constructed with a small investment. To protect rabbits from the climatic conditions such as in hot summer, rain and to protect them from dogs, cats construction of shed is necessary.

Deep litter system

This method is suitable for rearing small number of rabbits. To prevent rabbits to dig burrows the floor the floor should be made up of concrete. The Litter materials such as paddy husk, paddy straw or wood shavings can be filled up to 4-6 inches from the floor. Deep litter system is not suitable for rearing more than 30 rabbits. Male rabbits should be housed separately. This type of housing is not suitable for intensive system of rearing. Rabbits reared in deep litter system are more susceptible to diseases. Management of bunnies also very difficult in deep litter system.

Cage system
Floor space requirement

* Dam – 5 S.ft
* Bunnies – 1.5 S.ft

Adult rabbit cage
Adult rabbit cage should have 1.5 feet length, 1.5 feet breadth and 1.5 feet height. This cage is suitable for one adult rabbit or two growing rabbits
Growing rabbit cage

* Length- 3 feet
* Breadth- 1.5 feet
* Height- 1.5 feet

Cages for kindling
The cage size for growing rabbits is sufficient for the rabbits going to be kindled. But the bottom and sides of the cage should be made up of weld mesh of 1.5 X 1.5 inches. This used to prevent the young bunnies to come out of the cage.
Nest box
To provide safer and calm environment during kindling the nest box is essential. This nest boxes can be made up of galvanized iron or wood. Nest box size should be in such a way to keep inside the kindling cage.

* Dull and depressed
* Heavy loss of hair
* No active movement of rabbits. But usually they stay in one particular place in the cage

Regards
Ashwini
very good information on this business but no information on marketing of rabbits which is most imp. asapect of this business. request ur good self to write on this

raman119

Hi ashwin,

Plz provide some rabbit farmers address/phone numbers. I want to know rela time how this will work before introducing the rabbit meat in my native place in huge amount.

regards
Raja
pl call me for address of farmers in maharashtra

m_sathiyanathan

Marketing and Demand for Rabbit

Dear Sir,
Iam owning a small rabbit farm(5 units) in Tamilnadu.Gained neccessary information on rabbit farms for starting in a large scale( above 50 units).But my only area of concern is the demand and the market for rabbit meat and rabbit products in india and especially in south india.Do we have a possibility of exporting the rabbit meat to other foreign countries?? Pease give me a detailed skatch about the rabbit market in india.
Regards
Sathiyanathan.M
Please contact..

shyamuppi

Dear friend

The investment to start rabbit farming:
if you are starter: start with one unit. one unit consists 10 rabbits -7females 3males. the investment for one unit is 17000-18000 with cage. For more information feel free to call me at any time. My mob no-9972829857

with regards
shyam sundar

kavundan

Hi Ashwini,

Thank you very much for your valuable information Ashwini. I would be grateful if you can provide me pictures of the cages which you said and can you provide anyone who is interested to start Rabbit Farming in Tirunelveli District in Tamil Nadu.
Thanking you once again

Regards

Sebastian Peter
kavundan@hotmail.com

Hi

* White giant
* Grey giant
* Flemish giant

* Newzealand white
* Newzealand red
* Californian

* Soviet chinchilla
* Dutch

Deep litter system

Cage system
Floor space requirement

* Dam – 5 S.ft
* Bunnies – 1.5 S.ft

Adult rabbit cage
Growing rabbit cage

* Length- 3 feet
* Breadth- 1.5 feet
* Height- 1.5 feet

Cages for kindling
Nest box

* Dull and depressed
* Heavy loss of hair

Regards
Ashwini

saran_79

Enquiry on Rabbit Farming

Dear friend

The investment to start rabbit farming:
if you are starter: start with one unit. one unit consists 10 rabbits -7females 3males. the investment for one unit is 17000-18000 with cage. For more information feel free to call me at any time. My mob no-9972829857

with regards
shyam sundar
Hi, Will you pls. share your location.