Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

planning to start a goat farm in 1 acre land. Need more details.

Register

Click Here!

sdeepanraja

Hello Sir,

I am planning to start a goat farm in 1 acre land. I am in need of understanding the below details.

1. Which goat should I opt for (is boer goat advisable) ?
2. How many goats should be sold per month for a reasonable profit.
3. How can the goat dung be used in an efficient way, as I have a mango and coconut farm as well.
4. How much area will be needed for 100 goats?
5. What is the right age for a goat to be sold?

Please provide additional details as well, if I am not able to foresee any.

padmanabhan_ganesan

1. Choose the native breed to your area.
2. It depends on the type of model you will follow. a) Buy 1 month goats and sell them once it reaches maturity b) Buy goats and produce offspring and sell the aged goats.
3. Composting/Vermi Composting can be done and this can be used as manure for your farm.
4. 1 Acre is required for managing 25 goats.
5. Any age is okay as long as the benefit is accured to you.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
http://agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

capraagrofarm

Ans- it depends upon what is the purpose of rearing Goats. Whether it is for meat, or for breeding farms, or for milk (dairy).
Before starting a goat farm, breed selection is a critical thing. Would appreciate if you let me knw about it please.
Ans- unlike usual commodities, livestock calculations are based on annual sales, mortalities, kidding etc. It will be a baseless calculation when you ask how many goats should you sell every month.

3. How can the goat dung be used in an efficient way, as I have a mango and coconut farm as well.
Ans- goat manure is a very good manure. Besides it can be used indirectly as manure after using it to make vermi-compost. This again comes as an added by product of goat rearing.
Ans- as per the rule of the thumb goes, 10sq ft area is required or every doe. So if you take 100 goats into consideration. Usually an area of 20x20 ft is good for 25 goats. This helps in maintenance and record keeping of goats even though slightly larger overall area is required. Besides this another 20x20 ft open area should be there for 25 goats as the exercise paddock.
According to the size of the flock sheds can be constructed.
Besides this a sick bay away from the living quarters should be made,
Separate housing for infants should be made and also a separate housing for bucks and pregnant does should be made.

Ans- depending upon the breed again sir and the purpose.
Please contact me on 9406278066 for further details.

smy82482

1.For more profit rate you must have to breed the goat which has plenty of kidding capacity and that can be easily sold in your local market.Boer goat is costlier and cant be sold in local market.So better to choose osmanabadi pureline goat bred for breeding purpose,as it has highest kidding capacity in world.
2.At least 25-30 goats must be sold per year to have reasonable profit,after investing huge amount on total project cost.
3.Goat dung is used in raw manner for your farm,as it has highest NP content.
4.For 100 goats on elevated platform 2000sf ft area is required and on ground 8000 sqft area for their proper movement and for feeding 4 acres of agriculture land with good water supply.
5.Right age to sold is around6-7 months as these goats have tender meat and gets quickly sold for meat purpose in your local market as compare to older goats.
Regards,
Dr.Shaikh
PhD.Goat Farming
www.goatfarm.co.in
Hello Sir,

I am planning to start a goat farm in 1 acre land. I am in need of understanding the below details.

Please provide additional details as well, if I am not able to foresee any.

sdeepanraja

Thank you very much!!!
1.For more profit rate you must have to breed the goat which has plenty of kidding capacity and that can be easily sold in your local market.Boer goat is costlier and cant be sold in local market.So better to choose osmanabadi pureline goat bred for breeding purpose,as it has highest kidding capacity in world.
2.At least 25-30 goats must be sold per year to have reasonable profit,after investing huge amount on total project cost.
3.Goat dung is used in raw manner for your farm,as it has highest NP content.
4.For 100 goats on elevated platform 2000sf ft area is required and on ground 8000 sqft area for their proper movement and for feeding 4 acres of agriculture land with good water supply.
5.Right age to sold is around6-7 months as these goats have tender meat and gets quickly sold for meat purpose in your local market as compare to older goats.
Regards,
Dr.Shaikh
PhD.Goat Farming
www.goatfarm.co.in

sdeepanraja

Thank you very much!!! I shall call you..

Ans- it depends upon what is the purpose of rearing Goats. Whether it is for meat, or for breeding farms, or for milk (dairy).
Before starting a goat farm, breed selection is a critical thing. Would appreciate if you let me knw about it please.
Ans- unlike usual commodities, livestock calculations are based on annual sales, mortalities, kidding etc. It will be a baseless calculation when you ask how many goats should you sell every month.

Ans- goat manure is a very good manure. Besides it can be used indirectly as manure after using it to make vermi-compost. This again comes as an added by product of goat rearing.
Ans- as per the rule of the thumb goes, 10sq ft area is required or every doe. So if you take 100 goats into consideration. Usually an area of 20x20 ft is good for 25 goats. This helps in maintenance and record keeping of goats even though slightly larger overall area is required. Besides this another 20x20 ft open area should be there for 25 goats as the exercise paddock.
Separate housing for infants should be made and also a separate housing for bucks and pregnant does should be made.

sdeepanraja

Okay Thank you sir!!!

1. Choose the native breed to your area.
2. It depends on the type of model you will follow. a) Buy 1 month goats and sell them once it reaches maturity b) Buy goats and produce offspring and sell the aged goats.
3. Composting/Vermi Composting can be done and this can be used as manure for your farm.
4. 1 Acre is required for managing 25 goats.
5. Any age is okay as long as the benefit is accured to you.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
http://agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

sdeepanraja

Thank you very much!!! I shall contact you soon!!!

sdeepanraja

What is the current rate per kg of goat from the farm to the butcher? I will be happy if I get to know the rate in TN.
I also want to know when a goat is sold to butcher is the goat sold based on per kg rate or the cost varies based on breed also?