Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mutton demand : Boer / Osmanabadi or Country goats - Is it a gamble?

Register

Click Here!

nkjohri

There is a lot of discussion and chatter about Boer and lately over Osmanabadi. While breeding and rearing Boer and Osmanabadi goats have obvious advantages in terms of size and weight - the mutton demand for these "premium" variety does not seem to be well established. This is especially important since people start goat farming with the expectation of selling the animals - so it should be confirmed if there is ready demand for the meat of these "premium varieties".

IF there are any Boer or Osmanabadi, wholesalers or meat processors on the forum, we would like to hear from you, especially if you are from Tamil Nadu, Karnataka or Kerela. It would be helpful to a lot of people plan to or have already invested in Boers, Osmanabadi, etc. Based on our research, there was almost no large scale demand for Boer or Osmanabadi live goats (for meat) in Chennai and Madurai markets. We have not explored additional markets yet.

In comparison, there is steady demand for country variety of goats. As expected, they do not have the same height or weight gains so the profit margins are smaller. With that said, the country goats are guaranteed to sell. Elsewhere I read that butchers, processors and restaurants cannot make out the difference once the animal is skinned. I can say from personal experience, that is NOT true when you ask such buyers. Butchers and cooks can definitely figure out if the meat is more muscular, less soft, greater fat content, etc. Some may not care but most will not want to buy such meat.

Helpful comments, guidance and market related advise would be appreciated.

mr_boer

Hi,This is Venkatesh from Vijay farms ,Villupuram.We have been doing Boer -Thalachery for the past 6 years.
We sell females for breeding and males for meat.As we are dealing with bigger quantities and we have no problem in marketing it for meat.
Yes,it is not consumed by local people in meat market so for...The reason is the hi-breeds are not developed to reach the meat market so-for.For breeding itself Large number of Boer-Thalachery cross-breeds are wanted in huge numbers by newly opening farms.Also it fetches premium rates when you sell it for Breeding.So atleast it will take another 5 to 10 years to fullfill the breeding needs and after that it will be available for sale in the local markets and meat shop.
This change will automatically occur by time and after that Hibreeds are going to dominate the market and even if you are asking for local breed meat it will not be available.
In goat rearing industry the changes occur slowly and steadily as the production cycle of goats is longer when compared to chicken and other meat animals.
We have to predict the future and then only you can survive in the future and present day market is not going to help you as you are going to market your goats only after 1.5 to 2 years from the starting of your farm.
The local breeds weight gain in tamilnadu with twinning breeds are only 8 to 14 kgs in one year,But Wt gain of Boer thalachery cross breed(Twinning) is 35 to 40 kgs in 1 year.With present day expenses one cannot run a stallfed goat farm profitably with 10 to 15 kgs wt in 1 year(Local breeds).
We are naturally heading towards stallfed Goat farming with Hi -Breed goats for better profitability.And Hi breed goats meat is only going to be there in every meat shop(Does'nt matter you like it or not like Broiler chicken).For this we have to plan now build our Hi-Breed parent stock as it cannot be build over night with whatever money you have.
Untill we get that steady meat market we can rely on Breeding market which is very hot nowadays and fetches premium rates.
So "LOOK AHEAD"For better future.
For more details contact
K.Venkatesh
Vijay farms,Villupuram dist,Tamilnadu.
Website ; “www.boerindia.com”
Mail: venky_km@yahoo.com
Mob:08903471006
04146-230218

a rajesh kumar

Yes. Mr.nkjohri is absolutely right. actually i am planning to start a farm in my native. then i started to collect the details of high breed goats. all are very good about high breed goats except marketing. i asked local meat market & stall owners about the taste & marketing of boer/osmanbadi/thalachery,etc., As per their quote this type of breed goat meat is like beef meat,so they are not interesting..here i stuck up with my plan. so i dont know what to do...

write2rammy

Thank you for this interesting and informative post nkjohri. I am planning to start a goat farm near Cumbum (Tamilnadu). I have plans to concentrate only on hybrid varieties. To be more specific I have zeroed-in on boer goats. Your information is surprising to me. I don't doubt the potential of boer for breeding purpose but I simply can't understand why isn't boer preferred for meat. Is there a taste difference between boer and country breeds like thalacherry, kanni etc? I know that for skins, country breed like thalacherry are most preferred.

Can somebody also discuss the potential of cross bred like boer_X_thalacherry for meat purpose?

write2rammy

Potential of hybrid goat and cross bred for meat purpose

Thank you for this interesting and informative post nkjohri. I am planning to start a goat farm near Cumbum (Tamilnadu). I have plans to concentrate only on hybrid varieties. To be more specific I have zeroed-in on boer goats. Your information is surprising to me. I don't doubt the potential of boer for breeding purpose but I simply can't understand why isn't boer preferred for meat. Is there a taste difference between boer and country breeds like thalacherry, kanni etc? I know that for skins, country breed like thalacherry are most preferred.

Can somebody also discuss the potential of cross bred like boer_X_thalacherry for meat purpose?

nkjohri

Good luck with your venture. We decided to proceed with Thelacherry and might consider Boer once it is more mainstream (for meat). Our farms are located in Sivagangai, feel free to connect if you feel Boers are marketable for meat and we can consider collaborating.

vinsura

Dear All,

I just brought goats for my farms.

When I decided to start goat farm 2 years before, I have no idea about goat farms, the breeds and any others and even no agriculture land too. I learned the process and procedures when I visited many farms in Tamilnadu. Further, I also learned the Do and Don’ts from those farms.

When I think about the goat breed, I had an oscillation mind on the type of breed to start with. So, I decided to go for market survey. The survey was done on different towns and cities butcher shops (and not with farms) about the demand of preferred type of breed. The butcher shops concerned about hi breed meat taste, texture, aroma (when cooked) and others. The butcher shops doubted about the customers’ willingness to buy the meat when they see animal size and the weight when goat meat hang at their shop.

The butchers given a very good point why they do not prefer hi breed. The reason is stated below
They have no machine/ equipment to handle the meat, but manually hang the whole dressed meet in front of their shop. They will have difficulties to hang it. Further, they said they do not have that much strong support to hang the heaviest meat in the shop (as a show case type to attract customers), as most of them are running the meat shop on road side.
Based on survey results and the marketing difficulties, I decided to go for country goats to have long run business. (indeed less profit, but very good demand)
VINSURA FARMS
SUNDARESAN
vinsurafarms@yahoo.com

vinsura

Dear All,

I just brought goats for my farms.

When I decided to start goat farm 2 years before, I have no idea about goat farms, the breeds and any others and even no agriculture land too. I learned the process and procedures when I visited many farms in Tamilnadu. Further, I also learned the Do and Don’ts from those farms.

When I think about the goat breed, I had an oscillation mind on the type of breed to start with. So, I decided to go for market survey. The survey was done on different towns and cities butcher shops (and not with farms) about the demand of preferred type of breed. The butcher shops concerned about hi breed meat taste, texture, aroma (when cooked) and others. The butcher shops doubted about the customers’ willingness to buy the meat when they see animal size and the weight when goat meat hang at their shop.

The butchers given a very good point why they do not prefer hi breed. The reason is stated below
They have no machine/ equipment to handle the meat, but manually hang the whole dressed meet in front of their shop. They will have difficulties to hang it. Further, they said they do not have that much strong support to hang the heaviest meat in the shop (as a show case type to attract customers), as most of them are running the meat shop on road side.
Based on survey results and the marketing difficulties, I decided to go for country goats to have long run business. (indeed less profit, but very good demand)
VINSURA FARMS
SUNDARESAN
vinsurafarms@yahoo.com

vaanan

Dear All,

We have been hearing the question / rumour around Boer goat meat for quit while. We do had this question when we started our goat farm in sivagangai. we used to see in so many forums that people asking or conculding that boer meat may not taste good. But no one practically said we have tasted and it's not good.
We are running our goat farm near sivagangai for past one year , mostly we are crossing boer with thalacerry breed. We tried to find the answer for above question and below is what we did for this Diwali.

We opened our own Mutton Stall in one small town near Karaikudi (Sivagangai dist) . People from Tamilnadu may know that karaikudi (Chettinadu) is famous for Non-Veg food , so they know how mutton should taste. I know people from that area can find easy that whether the food is prepared in sheep / old / young goat by tasking the cooked food. We planned to use only 2 boerX male goat initially and had 3 more in stand-by. We advertised that the goats are from our farm and we won't use outside goats. Day before Diwali people started walked in to the shop to see the goats. We opened shop by 3AM and surpricingly by 6Am all 5 goat meats were sold and there were people waiting for the meat. that pushed us to called up the farm and brought another 2 goats . people were waiting for nearly an hour to get the meat since it took time for us to bring the goat from our farm which was 10km away from the stall. Evenwith 7 goats we were not able to supply to all people and few went with disappointment.

Our plan is to call few buyer in evening to get thier feedback . But we started getting calls from them by after noon saying "Meat taste is great and its like Dear meat " (i'm saying the words we heard from them ) they also asked when do we put the stall again . We told them we will plan for Pongal . Not only the buyer , we ourself tasted the meat and can say confidently it taste great.

Overall this story may look bigger but this will give the Truth behind Boer goat meat taste. I believe our experience will give confidence to farmers who are breeding Boer / Thalaserry goats.

AGARAM GOAT FARM , SIVAGANGAI - 9443189015