Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mosambi Trees dying suddenly with no symptoms

Register

Click Here!

naidubk

I am from Nellore Dist and doing Mosambi cultivation. we are facing a huge problem of losing trees which is about 5 years old in average of 4-5% of trees every year. The mosambi trees are suddenly die with no symptoms at all. once tree start showing meekness it dies after 3-4 days. We see this problem majoerly in July- Aug months. We tried all possible pesticides but so far no clue why trees are loosing.
We tried Bio fertilizers like trichderma verida and with other bio fertiliser products as suggested. Wasted lot of money using the products since starting of the farming. I felt all this bio-fertilisers are just marketing technique.
Would like to know is this a known issue by other farmers or is it happening only to me. If you know any solution for this it would be great help for me.
My mosambi tress are Rangapuri based. The total farm is 5.5 years old, and it is red soil. We have enough water supply from bore wells.
KNaidu

Please contact............

Last edited by a moderator:

aromedindia

Mausambi plant death

Dear Sri Naidu
Trichoderma and other bio-fertilizers are not solution to the problem of pest and diseases. They can only provide certain degree of resistance to plants. The symptoms described here are more or less like termite. You may dig around plants and see if there are termites. Bio fert even can attract more pest and disease problem. U may send more details to further Analise the problem.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com

viragh79

Dear naidu

First diagnose the disease, from which disease its dying, So can u send the disease part to my address

Dr. Vinay
Please contact..........

kirti s

Dear Sir

Any kind of foreign chemical applied in the wrong dosage or at the wrong time is
capable of doing physical damage. Most chemical injury will come from pesticides
applied at too high rates, the wrong time, or during very hot parts of the day.
Damage from chemical injury may appear as red, yellow or brown spots on the
leaves, leaf tips turning brown, stunted or misshapen plants, to overall browning and
death of a plant.

Heat Stress This can be a major physiological disorder especially in hot climates and is caused by injury from direct sun exposure/intensity or just simply too hot.

Ill give u the exact solution just 1day.

aryancropcare

Dear Friend Naidu,
I would like to inform that this is a problem faced by farmers with mosambi cultivation.But farmers opt for some cheap pesticides and then the problem slips from one reason to another. But dont worry, any problem could be solved. and your trees wont die further.
We are manufacturer of Herbal & organic crop care company.We offer Agri products for crop care as well as take Projects for solving diseases in crops on turnkey basis too.
Feel free to contact me for any further details or assistance in this regard. you could reach me...
Please contact...
Regards,
Nirav

manojsinghchandel

Contact

Contact;

National Research Centre For Citrus
Amravati Road, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.

Please contact....

Regds

Manoj Singh

amanoji

Mosambi plants also die due to root rot

Dear sri naidu,
a sudden death of plants with out symptoms is clear indication of root rot disease . The plants die suddenly and the roots also will be damaged. In case of wilt, the plants die slowly and it will take a 15-30 days for a complete mortality.
I differ from kirti's view of wrong chemical spray on wrong dose because in mr.naidu's orchard not all the plants are being affected. if he spray in such manner, damage due to that spray will not be localised to few plants. even in a single plant of mosabi, the areas which are not in the reach of spray liquid like the tip of the tree and uncovered areas will slightly affected or unaffected.so it is not due to chemical spray. 5.5 year old mosambi orchard in heat wave condition/area cannot be established. they would have died younger . It is the same , if it is in calcium or hard substratum soil. so differ also from rln moorthy too.

what you can do is just apply 250 gm of copper sulphate (CuSo4) around the tree immediately when you see the symptom of dying or slightly before that(say first week of july) .(Here no need of preparing bourdeux mixure) this method found succeeded in mango orchard and the plants which appeared as total dry-up , are able to revive again. trichoderma and other fungicides won't work at all. so dont try any fungicides except COPPER SULPHATE.
you can call me, if you have doubt.
Please contact....

suryanarmada

Dear Friend,

Please check for nematode infestation. Citrus plants are affected by a specific type of nematode. If nematode affects the root it leads to secondary infection ie root rot which may be the cause of the sudden drying of plants.

If possible ask the nearby Horticulture officer to make a visit to your farm.

I like to clarify
whether plants in same row are affected or affected in a scattered way?
Whether nearby farms are infected by this?

Regards
Surya Narmada

amanoji

Hello ! Naidu sir, people wait for your message

Dear naidu,

please give some more details of the nature of drying trees. People wait for your message.
Regards
amanoji

finexindia

details

pls understand all problems start with weak soil, feed the soil not the plant, if ur soil is healthy nothing will happen.

always start with good dose of compost, now that ur plants are already grown up, i suggest you dump compost mixed with neem cake and plough it into the soil, and see if it works, it surely will work.

incase u dont have compost ready, u can use old farmyard manure mixed with neem cake, not much of neem cake, first try and use it to the plants that are affected, u can leave a private message if u notice any change, would be happy to hear from you.

pls keep away from all sorts of chemicals, and suggestions by friends that ur soil is deficient in so many things, keep using heavy dose of compost, and all things would be balanced.

aryancropcare

Dear Friend,
I agree partly with amanoji, that spraying pesticides may not necessarily be the reason. apart from nematode infestation there are other reasons. Nematode infestation is caused in a location or vicinity affecting almost all trees in that vicinity.Whereas the case in Mr Naidu is not that. the trees are getting dry in scattered areas. Hence, the problem could not be detected on just hearing about the leaves getting yellow. Personal monitoring is as necessary as a doctor diagnosies the patient.
Recently a person had similar problem in jackfruit plantation . He called me and i found the land tobe good and that no nematode problem affected.But then I discussed with him about how he takes care of the farm. On point he told me, that he regularly gets the weeds remove off. and to pay wages to labour frequently ,he tried to add APSA , Amway product in the weedicide and applied. It was then that such problem started. Then I tried to dig the land around theplant andfound, that Apsa, pierced the land deep and went inside with the weedicide upto 5-6feet in land. and the roots of trees ,away from the trunk started dying. Due to which the tree slowly got the leaves yellow, because the roots died and coulnt take the nutrient from soil to pass it to the leaves and tree. We found that only the rootsvertically down the trunk existed in some trees and they weredying at a fast rate. But the farmer didnt consider this a reason and was carrying on the weedicide with APSA to get rid of weeds. And ultimately many of his trees were died.
so such minute details could also be the reason behind a crop problem. and such could vary from farmer to farmer and could be diagnised correctly only on personal supervision of the plant. Else farmers use many pesticides and then end up blaming the pesticides for not working and incurring heavy costs of the crop problem.
Right treatment for Right disease is the solution.

Regards,

Nirav

naidubk

Root cause of the die-back issue in Mousambi

Thanks for all the replies and all valuable suggestions on this issue.
Few more observations found during these days at farm.

I have digged few omore dry trees which is about to die and found the following things.

1) I could see few Nematodes in the tree trunk. and also observed these are going till root and making kind of path to the roots and injuring the ebark of the root.
2) in some other Died trees I saw the main root is infected with root-rot along with this Nematodes symptoms.

3) I can feel some roots emit a bad odour. (All roots are not emiting the bad odour only few of them)

Based on these symptoms I could conclude that the reason for the Die-back issue could be either Root-rot or Nematodes.

As suggested by the amanoji, suspects it is root-rot fungus (rhizoctonia) , and can treat with CuSo4 applying at basin 250gm per tree. I am also likely to go this treatment for entire orchard.

Wondering if this is causing because of Nematdodes does this solution works.. ? Appriciate any feedback on this.

Thanks for supporting ..

naidubk

How to apply the CuSo4

Hi,
I am little bit confused how CuSo4 needs to be applied to the soil. As I saw this is not solvable easily until unless you keep it in water for 24hrs.

thanks

shanmuga06

Mosambi cultivation

Dear naidu garu,

i understood your pain about mosambi casuality.Its puzzle for farmers even agri scientist.as per my observations the mosambi's death some reasons pointed in this forum.the reasons which i found that are due termite attack,root rot and the major reason done by farmers that is application of unripped farmyard manure.So you will very carefull while applying farmyard manure its should be well composted aswell as riped one.if it is not ripped the entire root wll be affected by root rot and some heat will be generated after unripped farmyard manure.So for avoiding this kind of happening please find root casue .if its not possible please make trenching around the bottom of the tree apply neem cake solution i.e please dipping the neem cake in a parrel for 12 hours.The next day morning you dilute 5he neem cake solution and filter it.Please pour the water around the trench and also apply the sediment in the trench.You need not neem cake directly its leads some kind of problem.By the by copper of c cholride solution will be applied after one week interval.Kndly you allways irrigate to the tree with full of water in the basin provided.Some time due nutrition defficiency this also happened .For that kinndly apply micro nutrients 500 grams per tree oftenly i.e 15 days interval.and also feed with well riped FYM.

thank you

A sivakumar
Priya Nursery Garden
Karaikudi-630001.
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

amanoji

FYM/CuSo4

Dear naidu garu,

i understood your pain about mosambi casuality.Its puzzle for farmers even agri scientist.as per my observations the mosambi's death some reasons pointed in this forum.the reasons which i found that are due termite attack,root rot and the major reason done by farmers that is application of unripped farmyard manure.So you will very carefull while applying farmyard manure its should be well composted aswell as riped one.if it is not ripped the entire root wll be affected by root rot and some heat will be generated after unripped farmyard manure.So for avoiding this kind of happening please find root casue .if its not possible please make trenching around the bottom of the tree apply neem cake solution i.e please dipping the neem cake in a parrel for 12 hours.The next day morning you dilute 5he neem cake solution and filter it.Please pour the water around the trench and also apply the sediment in the trench.You need not neem cake directly its leads some kind of problem.By the by copper of c cholride solution will be applied after one week interval.Kndly you allways irrigate to the tree with full of water in the basin provided.Some time due nutrition defficiency this also happened .For that kinndly apply micro nutrients 500 grams per tree oftenly i.e 15 days interval.and also feed with well riped FYM.

thank you

A sivakumar
Priya Nursery Garden
Karaikudi-630001.
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

dear naidu,

as you said CuSo4 is not dissolving quickly. to make it easier buy copper sulphate in powder form and apply it around the trunk in a circle of 6-8 feet dia. or you get the copper crystals powdered in grinding machine.

regarding application of FYM , at this stage will enhance your problem or will not give any result which you are expecting. because FYM is also provide enough moisture and nutrients to the pathogens too.

you said you have seen some nematodes near root zone . please note that the nematodes are microscopic and cannot be seen with normal eyes. the worms which you saw are feeding on dead tissues.please look in google search about nematodes and their syptoms for your clarification.

regards

amanoji

raghukurudi

Mosambi trees dieing without known cause

Hi,

Has there been any improvements due to the use of CuSo4, kindly update.

Regards
Chethan