Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Meat goat farming - need expert advice

Register

Click Here!

sevuga

Hi I am Sevugamoorthy currently working in Chennai. I am planning to start a small meat goat farm in my native near kovilpatti-tamilnadu. I am gathering all possible info before doing a trial run on a smaller scale with local partner. I am currently in the process for procuring land of about 5 acres and already identified a place for shed inside my village (around 1.5 grounds )- planning for stall fed intensive method.I require information like below.

1. Which breed would be suitable for meat purpose with nominal weight gain per day and considerable amount of resistance against prevailing goat diseases(Initially not planning for a high rise shed just going to have a well laid floor with proper roofing and fencing).

2. If you suggest some breed were will we get some good healthy male kids of about 3-4 months old at a reasonable rate and I am planning to infuse more goats gradually based on the response /growth/economic viability of these initial herd( if works out well I can even go for mega plans/projects for 1K/2K goats with proper management and full time involvement).

3.This month we had planted corn in 0.6 acres as even if we delay goat trial run it could be sold in local market . I will procure another 4-5 acres in a month/two - need to know what are the green fodder plants we have to grow for meat goats and what is the timeline for growing the same.

4. My idea is to get small herd of male kids( to avoid breeding & kid care at initial stage of this trial run) and grow them for a period of 9-12 months and selling it - but will there be any disadvantages like unavailability of required healthy male kids - if so please suggest a better way of doing it.

5. All the above are based on my own understanding/assumptions/research(lol) of the goat farm- please feel free to correct/suggest if any better way of doing the same.

Expecting some useful response & guidance..thanks a lot in advance :)

kirti s

meat export

Dear sir,
this is very impartant issue pls visit some exporter and nearest veternary doc for further details on breed and quality aspects, as we are horticulturists and also APEDA which is looking after agriculture export pls try to visit them also it is available in all district of india.

Regards

Kirti naik

sevuga

Breed?

Can some one tell me with details which goat breed is profitable for meat purpose(fattenning ). Mean teh average weight gain perday should be high on nominal fodder supply.

Many say kanni aadu & jamanapuri as tehy have better resistance. Few suggest cross breed boer & malabari - please suggest an breed if you have some experience on the same. :confused:

pedikkatt

Hello,

We have a goat farm, stall fed at Krishnapuram in Vilupuram District, T.Nadu. You may visit our farm for a detailed information in regard to growing the goat, type and feed etc. Speak to my partner Mr.Ramasamy/Mrs.Saraswathi

Recently, SUN TV team has come to our farm and had a interview which will be shown in thier net work soon.

All the best for your proposed farm.

Regards
Mohammed Basheer

Last edited by a moderator:

vijay23

All you mentioned are right sir, pls call for more information vijay.
Thanks.
Hi I am Sevugamoorthy currently working in Chennai. I am planning to start a small meat goat farm in my native near kovilpatti-tamilnadu. I am gathering all possible info before doing a trial run on a smaller scale with local partner. I am currently in the process for procuring land of about 5 acres and already identified a place for shed inside my village (around 1.5 grounds )- planning for stall fed intensive method.I require information like below.

1. Which breed would be suitable for meat purpose with nominal weight gain per day and considerable amount of resistance against prevailing goat diseases(Initially not planning for a high rise shed just going to have a well laid floor with proper roofing and fencing).

2. If you suggest some breed were will we get some good healthy male kids of about 3-4 months old at a reasonable rate and I am planning to infuse more goats gradually based on the response /growth/economic viability of these initial herd( if works out well I can even go for mega plans/projects for 1K/2K goats with proper management and full time involvement).

3.This month we had planted corn in 0.6 acres as even if we delay goat trial run it could be sold in local market . I will procure another 4-5 acres in a month/two - need to know what are the green fodder plants we have to grow for meat goats and what is the timeline for growing the same.

4. My idea is to get small herd of male kids( to avoid breeding & kid care at initial stage of this trial run) and grow them for a period of 9-12 months and selling it - but will there be any disadvantages like unavailability of required healthy male kids - if so please suggest a better way of doing it.

5. All the above are based on my own understanding/assumptions/research(lol) of the goat farm- please feel free to correct/suggest if any better way of doing the same.

mdraj99

Hi

Hi I know one guy he may give you his expertise on your doubts.
. give a try.

kaligounder

meat goat

Sir,
Your 4th idia is very good.
You need not worry for breeds.
You choose your native breeds, which alone can grow well.
all the best
kaligounder

We are very glade to inform you that our company “Greentech Organic Hydroponics Systems” manufacture a unit for the Maize/ Wheat grass fodder production in which you can produce Maize/ Wheat seedling by hydroponics techniques (Soil less culture) so it will ultimately produce microbes free, 100% organic healthy lush green seedlings of Maize/ Wheat grass fodder with less cost and in small area of 8ft x 4ft x 10ft with fully automated system, which can help you to boost up the production of Maize/ Wheat grass fodder in any climate condition with less input cost.

rajaom9

Please send ur contact no,
im from villupuram dist

Regards,
R Rajan