Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Jatropha looked promising . But what went wrong?

Register

Is Jatropha a successful crop to cultivate in India?

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Mostly Jatropha cannot be success in India?

It is very simple. Jatropha cultivation and extracting oil can be a success story, if you do it in very large scale. As per the Indian rules, no one can own more than 50 - 60 acres. If you want to do Jatropha plantation, you require a minimum of 10000 acres for a tiny project where you can produce around 25 - 30 thousand liters of bio diesel. So, you have to go for contract farming by including hundreds of farmers. If you want to bring them into this Jatropha plantation, you have to assure them a minimum of Rs.20- Rs25k net profit/acre/annum which is not possible. Even if you assure such profit it is herculean task to bring such acreage into contract farming. If any company does this task, the comparative income what they are getting for the efforts and inputs what they are putting is far low and economically not viable.

To meet the 5% blending target set by Govt., we have to produce 3.21 tons of bio diesel (2011 diesel consumption of India is 64 million tons). For these we require an estimated farmland of 3.42 million hectares. Where and when we can plant Jatropha in such massive scale?? This is to meet just 5% of our needs. So, there is no chance of Commercial plantation of Jatropha in India. It can’t feed the huge requirement of our needs.

As answered by -
Mr. Raghu Ram, Managing Consultant, Sampada Farms

editorialteam

Indian government definitely has to take a part of the blame for the failure of Jatropha since the direction and initiative for the success of a bio fuel crop and concept has to given by the government which is seriously lacking in India. However a major part of the blame should go to institutes like TNAU, Agricultural university of Bangalore.etc and nodal agencies like NOVODB which have over exaggerated the Jatropha crop and hence have made this crop a failure by over estimating its benefits and misguiding farmers. This has also lead to too much emphasis on Jatropha taking away attention and focus from many other high potential oilseeds like Pongamia seed, Mahua seed, and Rubber seed or for that matter even the potential of Oil Palm in India.

As answered by-
Mr. Kishan Karunakaran, Managing Director, TMN Biofuel Pvt. Ltd.

editorialteam

No doubt any long term projects are always success if there is a strong team and a will to carry out the plan.

The state Govts are responsible for the continued lapses in agriculture and the state govts are the one who hold the inventory of unused or never used lands other than forestory and revenue lands.

Throwing Jatropha nurseries along side the railway platform or planting few sapplings in Asoka hall are not the solution.

What I suggest is or strongly recommand is to form a seperate board at national level under the chairmanship of a eminent person like Dr.Kurien immediately to see that this renewable energy is managed by co-operative movement.

Secondly, this Mission shall be a kind of white revolution to be more productive for small and marginal farmers along with a sustained income for the willing people who come forward to work for the success of this Jatro power.
I am ready to work under such people without any material benefits I promise.
Some may opt for Dr.Kalam but he is not a capable guy to lead any revolution.

Many may recollect Dr.M.S also but he is a hybrid man and pro corporates.
We dream for a leadership of Kuriens and none else.

I do not think NABARD or NOVAD will be of any sense/use in this subject.
Its a leaderless mission today and this could be successful if such a person like Dr.Kurien guide the interested workers like me.
I am sure that every indian know the danger of petroleum and its a topmost priority than a Lokpal bill.

I am sure Dr.Kurien will read this message.
Regards,

Bhadrinath.
Indian government definitely has to take a part of the blame for the failure of Jatropha since the direction and initiative for the success of a bio fuel crop and concept has to given by the government which is seriously lacking in India. However a major part of the blame should go to institutes like TNAU, Agricultural university of Bangalore.etc and nodal agencies like NOVODB which have over exaggerated the Jatropha crop and hence have made this crop a failure by over estimating its benefits and misguiding farmers. This has also lead to too much emphasis on Jatropha taking away attention and focus from many other high potential oilseeds like Pongamia seed, Mahua seed, and Rubber seed or for that matter even the potential of Oil Palm in India.

As answered by-
Mr. Kishan Karunakaran, Managing Director, TMN Biofuel Pvt. Ltd.

k1jatrophaoils

What went wrong with Jatropha......

I continue to fight for a genuine justice for our countrymen something serious than the one launched by Anna and his team or Babaji ramdevji in this country.

Having said that it does not mean I am against those who portal themselves with Brand clean Corruption.

None of these guys talk on the continued imports of petroleum and the slow poision of its economical implications.

I will talk on this later.
Look at this!

There is a Board for Tobacco.

There is a Board for Cine stars and censor board!

Is there any board for unused or never used lands in India??????

Is there any white paper how such lands are maintained?

Indeed, the Naxals control major lands in the country and all the political parties are a party to this.

Let me ask one thing!

If there is any will to contain Petroleum ? its possible when there is no distribution atleast on two days/week in the whole country and this will prove to be a beginning in the rejection of a dependable material.

There must be a Board comprised of eminent people matching the caliber of Kuriens not MODI/s or Babajis to plan for a alternate fuel and it should be legislated first in Parliamnet and its so serious than the Lokpal bill in nature.

Unfortunately, the external forces be it dollar or Pounds are Patronised by the so called Crusadors of corruptions and with the blessings of few corporate media in this nation.This is one issue where there must be a National referendum on too much foreign debts and expenditures.

Bhadrinath.

Last edited:

k1jatrophaoils

What went wrong with Jatropha.....

Hello!

I recieved a email from a company supposed to be in Chennai signed by a person designated as a CEO of that company.

He is a P.hd its mentioned.
His requirement is Ten million tonnes of Jatropha oil/annum.

I accepted his challenge subject to following conditions:

1.The Price of Jatropha oil is not negotiiable.
2.He shall sign a MoU to lift the oil with proper financial arrangemnents.

3.He shall agree for the damage cclause in case of any failure to lift the material within a specified time.

4He shall ensure that the Oil is not exported and used domestically for a specific purpose.

5.Finally, he shall committ for the completion of the contract by showing the storage and useage facilities in Chennai.

I am not bothered about the teasing of that gentleman but make it very clear online that anything is possible in science and we are not scared of Babajis and annajis in the country who continnue to kick Jatropha out of this country at the expense of supari petroleum maharsahtra lobby.

Bhadrinath.

Last edited:

gunda

jatropha

the entire project started with a bluff and managed in bluff way. there was no commitment of any one at any levels.
if some one is committed, we can provide the help to revive jatropha.the question is who is serious.

k1jatrophaoils

Jatropha what went wrong.......

the entire project started with a bluff and managed in bluff way. there was no commitment of any one at any levels.
if some one is committed, we can provide the help to revive jatropha.the question is who is serious.

What committment and to whom?
Where do you plan to provide me lands?

Other than Karnataka and Tamilnadu I am ready to show you the progress of Jatropha growers growing in the right way.

I am looking for lands around 20000acres on lease for a joint venture project and my only role is to organise the work force and complete the plantation within 3 years @ 20 acres/day. The investor is is keen to put money only in Jatropha and that on leased lands for 30 years.NO NGOs PLEASE.

Please provide us lands.
We are ready to do the rest.

Bhadrinath.

editorialteam

Thread is closed.

Dear Readers,

Please note this thread is now closed since the Editors are no longer moderating this topic. If you wish to discuss further on this topic pleasse free to contact the members directly via private message or by posting a new topic in the "Q & A" forum.

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team