Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Poll Is it really possible to buy good agriculture land at low prices?

Register

Is it really possible to buy agriculture land at very low prices?

• Yes

• No

• Not Sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Click Here!

ForumAdmin

Staff member
Premium Member
We are seeing lot of interest in posts for low cost agriculture land. We want to find out whether members feel it is genuinely possible to buy agriculture land at such low prices. What do you think? Please feel free to vote and share your comments.

Last edited:

umeshvp

Apart from the cost of land you need big investment in making it ready for crop initially.
Usually the enthusiastic people who want buy agriculture land are opting for perennial plants, like Mango, Pomegranate and many other.
This have long waiting period for production, so all are looking for land at lower price.

kommukk

Most of the Buyers are non-agriculture Real estate people purchasing lands that are cheaper price, which increasing demand for all lands. Non-cultivated Rain deficient lands itself sold for a minimum of 3 lakhs in AP and Telangana where nothing can be grown.
Prices used to be cheap in North Karnataka where prices hiked with same reason. Don't think situation will be different in other states.

royelias2212

We are seeing lot of interest in posts for low cost agriculture land. We want to find out whether members feel it is genuinely possible to buy agriculture land at such low prices. What do you think? Please feel free to vote and share your comments.
cheapest land availability depends on the area,state etc. in konkan area ,title clear land can be registered in 1.5 to 2 lakh per acre. lower than this would be of land which are under many names and difficult to clear it.

kiranjk2005

Excellent question, i agree with you and its too tough to get right land with less cost. If you check my old postings in 2014, i started my search for less cost lands and finally found with hight rates only but later i invested so much money to develop it. But its too tough to manage the land afterwards and so much cost is involved, i lost all the crops & so much money. With all these experiences, i am looking for good agricultural lands which is economy prices but its too tough to get right lands with less cost. Later we need to invest abouble than what we brought for.

subbupd

I believe it is possible...

rathnamkl

There may be land available in extreme rural villages. Need to check the land papers where they were under AD land and resale of it. Apart from it for agriculture land with good road access, irrigation facilities and Main road approach and the revenue district will not be available for low prices. But the farm land investment will be much rewarded later compared to other fixed deposits or mutual funds, shares in market.

prk2570

I am not an agriculturist but have strong interests towards it. Availability of reliable properties, local villagers support system and availability of good labour to take care is becoming a deterrent to pursue this passion.

vivekranawat

Agriculture land price in India is too high because lot of people are investing in it either for investment, tax saving or they have lot of black money and this should be controlled. Starting farming by purchasing new land in not viable in my opinion because ROI is too high as compared to other business.

ckmsthoma

I visited konkan/ratnagiri area in 2012 and in touch with some agents those who are acting as real estate agents. But not sure whether they can do anything. The main issue I feel is clear title of land. Any transaction happening I have no idea. How people are doing agriculture there, not getting the idea, what about labour availability

Any body have ideas please share

Regards

vrikshaay

Most people seems to be any of the following:
1. Airing half baked understanding of agriculture, without clearly understanding the variables that can tilt the scales towards profit or loss.
2. Blaming land price changes on real estate agents, investors etc is not a correct approach: Land is a constant - with very low possibility for adding by human effort - encroaching and filling water bodies is the only way humans can do to increase land surface-whereas demand for land comes from various directions-infrastructure development, industrialisation, housing, farm area increasing etc, and price changes are a cumulative effect of all these variables. So, don't blame brokers or investors-of course, they are trying to make a few extra bucks out of the murky situation created by various variables that has bearing on demand for land, supply being constant. You can get an acre of land in Russian Far East now for Rs. 1000 or even less because 45% of Russian land is still forest and major part of land in Russian Far East is remaining idle because the population in the area is very low.
3. Sweeping statements like "land where nothing will grow etc" - even there is farming done in deserts for centuries and now also. Adopting a proper system of farming that suits various locations is the proper approach to be taken. But, agricultural science and technology that focus on soil and water fail to understand the fact that plants take around 50% of nutrients from atmosphere and not soil and water. This is the basis for such sweeping statements.
4. So, a properly balanced understanding of the variables that affect land prices is the first thing a land buyer should understand. Regarding farming also such a balanced understanding of variables is required by those trying to enter farming. Mono culture farming, farming based on wrong advises, farming crops without understanding the crops, farming without understanding the market variables, farming without understanding the atmosphere, farming without understanding labour market situations and labour attitudes and aspirations etc are destined to run into problems and losses.

All our industrial/technological sources for employment and income are just a few 100 years old only-a development that followed the industrial revolution. Farming is a profession that remained and sustained huge number of humans and animals for > 10000 years and still the main job of majority of people in the world. If it is a complete loss making activity, why so many people of the world are continuing with it? Many who got high education because their parents did farming and used income from it to educate them, can be seen claiming that farming is a hopeless profession with only losses-if it is only losses how they got the money for their education from their parents who did only farming and they never sold any of their land to educate them .

Last edited by a moderator:

agribuss

cheapest land availability depends on the area,state etc. in konkan area ,title clear land can be registered in 1.5 to 2 lakh per acre. lower than this would be of land which are under many names and difficult to clear it.
1.5 to 2 lakh per acre.:oops: very cheap

tnfarm

You can if are capable of purchas ing in bulk parcels. The middle man so called "Agri promoters" are currently doing that only. They buy cheap and sell to people living in cities at a minimum 5 times purchase value.
Apart from that in the name of caretaking they suck out a lot of money periodically too until most will give up and sell the land back to them itself at a marginal price. The land will again be resold to new prospective buyers at a much higher rate and this loop continues.

It's worth only if the buyer stays and takes care of the farm all by himself.

g_mallika

Organic farming has become the urban fad. After corona people want to run away from their houses and have a farm land , swimming pool . They know well that their commitment to farming is half baked and so to keep their investment cost low they are looking for cheap farm lands . Taking advantage of this fad the sellers are quoting high prices. The middle men are making livelihood. The price of the empty land has become the price of land plus the value they think the buyer would make out of it. This has made land values grow exorbitant keeping the genuine farmer out of the whole buying and selling equation. These new age farmers either construct palatial bunglows( manduva houses...Totti mane) in farmland which is meant for farming or completely leave it unattended once their fancies water down. Govt should change land buying rules to allow only genuine farmers but land. This will help keep the farm land prices low. Otherwise cheap farm land is a myth and insearch of cheap farmland people will start deforestation in illegal ways..

ravi jagan

I am trying my best to buy agri land for the past 4 years at reasonable cost and if not cheap. The intermediaries do not allow the owners to negotiate the price. Intermediaries fix an exorbitant price and the poor buyer tired after searching settles for a high price.