Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

is coconut oil not healthy for cooking?

Register

Click Here!

k1jatrophaoils

Dear friends!

There is a general talk but without any technical proof that coconut oil is not a cooking medium like other commercial cooking oils in India particularly in areas where there is abundant culticvation of coconut.

I happen to be a staunch supporter and an analyst of domestic cooking oils and found coconut oil is the best cooking oil on various counts not only in terms of its chemical analysis but also the nutrient value when compared to other commercial oils be it sun flower or palmolein since many years.

I have read many articles on the weakening of coconut market and lack of support for growers to encash their hard work in keeping coconut plantation that is one of the livlihood for many in South India.

I have noticed two things!

1.Most of the coconut growing farmers do not use coconut oil as a cooking medium.

2.Hadrly 30% of coconut oil produced in the country being projected as a hair oil and edible grade but there is no mention of coconut oil as a cooking medium anywhere in this country.Most of the production goes to soap industry or cosmetics and sold in a branded name just to harm the name of coconut oil.

I would like to share some knowledge with coconut growers on the possible utility of cooking grade coconnut oil that can be cheaper than GN oil and better than Cow's butter in many formats.

Hope I get some response from you readers.

Bhadrinath.

Last edited:

gprao

coconut oil for human consumption

dear sri Bhadrinath, can you give in detail about the usage benefits of coconut oil for edible purposes,like for cooking,as a ghee or else,so that it will be helpful to all of us and we will consider it.

gprao

coconut oil for human consumption

dear sri Bhadrinath, can you give in detail about the usage and benefits of coconut oil for edible purposes,like for cooking,as a substitute for butter or else,so that it will be helpful to all of us and we will consider it.i request other experts also to share in this topic and try to help the coconut farmers as well other agri farmers.gprao,farmer

k1jatrophaoils

Is coconut oil not healthy.....

Dear Friends!

Coconut oil is directly consumed as a edible oil in Kerala, Lakswadeep, some parts of Coastal karnataka once the edible coconut kernels are pressed into oil and the coconut development board does authorise or recognise this.

However, the coconut oil roasted, refined physically and double filtered could be more healthier for us.

The coconut flavour and the freezing point are mainly not likened by the commercial sellers of edible oils without examining the real parameters.

If you look into some oils in the market today the Gingelly, Ground nut oil you can only find an adultrated one in the market to match the price with Palmolein and Sunflower.

Well!

A pure coconut oil even when refined does not lose its Iodine value and one can find out the originality of a edible oil by testing the iodine value.

I call coconut cooking butter instead of calling as a refined oil the reason is

1.The shelf life of coconut oil is the best when compared to other oils.

2.The Medium Chain Triglycerides present in one and only coconut oil almost matches 30% of cow butter and the taste really does not affect digestion unlike the other oils.Even a sugar patient shall use coconut oil without restrictions.
There is no cholestrol at all in coconut oil.

3.The natural colour of coconut oil and its stability in fact helps the growth of human body particularly the bones.
Look at the people in Kerala and coastal karnataka who use coconut oil since hundreds of years.
4.The consumption of coconut oil while frying will speak the differnce of taste and its limited absorbtion unlike the other traditional un healthy oils sold in the market.

5.The lauric fatty in coconut oil is compared to the benefits of breast milk and the anti oxidant nature is found only in coconut oil.

6.The secret of selling coconut oil as a hair oil is exposed today when there is a huge demand for potential cooking segment and the farmers are cheated by the branded cosmetics people who never pay the price scientifically when they make 300% profit in selling oil.
Coutesy: Parachute.

I welcome more suggestions so that I shall proceed with more informations here for the benefit of farmers.
I advise farmers to claim their due price by knowing the value of end products of course before that they use the coconut oil at home first.

Bhadrinath.

Last edited:

k1jatrophaoils

Is coconut oil....

Its interesting to hear that people in Coastal Karnataka and in Kerala have been using coconut oil in almost all food preparations and this message has certainly attracted many other parts like Hassan, Tumkur, and Chitradurga districts too.

I happen to see some fine refined cooking coconut oil sold in some parts of Hassan district and the price is quite fair when compared to other oils. Its Rs80/liter whereas a branded sunflower oil is Rs95/liter. in retail market.

I examined the quality and found excellent nutrient value and planning to involve UAS Bangalore, Agriculture University of Tamilnadu and CFTRI to declare the facts so that our farmers particularly the coconut growers use coconut cooking oil.

Regards,

Bhadrinath.

Last edited: