Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Software Professionals Turned Farmers

Register

Click Here!

arumughams

Hi Guys,
I am seeing in some sites that many young Software Professionals in India have become farmers. But I have a basic question in my mind for those IT guys who have turned farmers. The income one earn in these two profession is totally uncomparable. I hope, the average annual income one gets in agriculture will be equal to the average monthly income one gets in IT industry. And also, the income from agriculture will not be regular as it is monthly in IT. How are you guys managing? Please give your tips and techniques on this.

anil1956

Dear friend,

You should know the real reason why many IT persons are looking at other avenues for earning. First the life is highly stress full in IT industry, one needs to update himself constantly. Second hire and fire works like anything. If the company completes one project and is not getting a similar project the company simply fires the team/keeps them on bench for some time. This thought itself is stress full. As age advances and people turn 35 the tension increases.

Now I meet many IT, IIM grads seeking consultancy for projects in agri areas. It is possible to make one or two lacs a month in simple business, only thing is hard working entrepreneur is required.

In agri many people fail or suffer because they do not plan. It requires a lot of experience to properly put a project idea in place. Secondly forward and backward linkages establishing is a must for success.

At last I must say hardly 1 per cent of IT guys really take up agriculture as profession and they back out once they study the details of the projects. But please note 24 % return can be achived only in agro based projects. Agro based projects are better than traditional industries in profitability.

anil patil

Hi Guys,
I am seeing in some sites that many young Software Professionals in India have become farmers. But I have a basic question in my mind for those IT guys who have turned farmers. The income one earn in these two profession is totally uncomparable. I hope, the average annual income one gets in agriculture will be equal to the average monthly income one gets in IT industry. And also, the income from agriculture will not be regular as it is monthly in IT. How are you guys managing? Please give your tips and techniques on this.

arumughams

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your reply. You are right IT job is stressful because of
1) One has to constantly take up changes in technology
2) Near Zero error tolerant work environments
3) Above two points, leads to tough competition among Peers
4) Un-ethical and un-logical Hiring-firing Policies of the company

Also you have talked about "Establishing Forward and Backward Linkage".
Can you please bit elaborate on it? It will be helpful to the readers.

I hope, the 24% returns you are saying, should be on some special type
of projects and not on traditional crops. If possible you can just
highlight on that.

Thanks,
Saravanan A

Last edited:

organicagrarian

How to plan out?

Hello,

This is a very interesting thread, which has been started. I'm also an IT professional and very keen in taking up agriculture as a profession.
When you say we need to plan out, what are the points that we need look or plan for?
Is there any training on the same?
Are they any success stories and the references for the same to get a first hand information?

To have these information, would be of great help.

thanks
Vimala

ulavan

Hi,
Carefull Planning is needed in the projects you choose and it also differs for each location.You should have Practical knowledge or hire a trusted knowledgeble person to run your project.You can start in small scale and expand it with experience.If you get into agri profession to relive stress and as a hobby then choose your projects with minimun investment and risk.

Regards.

dairyman

Software professionals turing to agriculture

24% returns is not an issue provided you take up agriculture as seriously as you take software development.

I feel people should take up agricultre as a back up plan. It should be used a a fall back option if something happens to their jobs.

I suggest please take simple pie in some thing have some experience with small level pilot projects in agri and at tright time of in case of some untoward incident you can have your own venture up and runing. I can tell you it will make you more assertive on job and also job will be less stressful. Try out geeks, Its high time we trust our lives in some one's hands. Take charge of your life.

You mau fall down many times but you will learn a lot and move ahead.

Dairyman

antony_pratap

Hi All,

Well i'm one such person this phrase suits, I work for BPO and obviously yes get paid one heft check, however i've been getting super stressed that i when i spend my weekend i more likely want to sleep and than spending time with my family, i have been working on starting my agri project, and like said perfect planning is required and a step at a time is best, i first was fascianted with a contractual farming as i found that to be less of risk, however as i have been learning various way of farming and how the monetary flow works here, i have been feed with a lot of ideas, so much so i have been telling my friends agriculture is going to be the best business in the next decade or in a min of 10 -15 yrs from now.

People who have less investment can go for contract farming in live stock to start with, less risk and it give you an idea to farming, however get in only with a flair not thought of making more money than what you getting, obviously u can get there by its takes time to get there.

bye friends,

All the best

Antony

bhuvanesh

hi guys

hi...
i am also looking to start my career in agriculture field...and i have undergone training about an year...so plz inform me if you would like to start a farm...we may discus how we can go about...

Thanks and regards

Bhuvanesh
mail to:
Ph no:

Last edited by a moderator:

shankara

start with small ...

Yes what you all are saying is right, Here we need didication and bit hard work to start with. Agro/Agri field is bit different from managing work force. We have to learn managing agriculture labours.
Always better to start with small investment but not to stop there if you come accross loss or find it difficult, you have to learn from failures and expand slowly.

regards
Shankara

essa4us

dear IT PERSONS.

Dear indians, with income in agri you can also transfer black or extra income of money in white via agri as, agri profit is non taxable.

Means u have 100 rupees black in your hand and if you can show u have sold rice of rupees 100 from your farm you can make that black 100 in white.

Any person want to join agri business kindly revert to p message.

We can start in group means 1 lk of 50 people we will have 50 lak by which we can do big projects and you will be share holders of said agri business.

Thanks

tamil

hi friends

dear friends ,
this is a very intersting topic that not only IT professionals are interested
in this field , those who are leading a stressful,restless,jobs were looking for something which make them busy by physical work and relaxed mentally,
myself i am a doctor but i am very much interested in agriculture,as this is one job which doesnt have a retirement.moreover if our generation is not intersted in agriculture then it will be forgotten in the future,
so my message is friends dont look it as another business but something for our forefathers &for selfsatisfaction,any work with dedication will never go in vain.....
thank u

arumughams

Hi All,

Thanks for tons of tips provided by every one. I am trying to summarize the points.

1) Agriculture is not low income business. In Future(in 10-15Years)
it is going to be a best business.

2) Proper Planning is needed. It is advised to take up in small steps.
(Idea like start with contract farming and learn the nitty-gritty
is also proposed)

3) Sincere hard work is needed. Getting 24% returns in Agriculture is
not at all a big thing.

4) Have agriculture as a back plan, while you are into other business.

5) Agriculture is way to convert black money to white money(as agri-income
is not taxable)

6) Don't treat agriculture as a business do it for self-satisfaction and
relaxation (This one is doctor's advice).

One small request. Many of you have said Planning is required. If anyone
take up a casestudy to show how it was planned and implemented, that would be
very helpful for others. We can see many are interested in this noble profession.

Thanks & regards,
Saravanan A

safla

hi guys/gals:
i am someone who has taken the leap from working in medical research, owning a IT business to giving it all up and taken to farming. Take it from me, it is hard work, and if you are doing it for the income, forget it! But you should look at it as an investment in your health and mental well being, which cannot be valued in terms of money. My advice is: Work for sometime in IT, save some money, and invest part of it in a manageable size farm. If you can make the farm self sustaining, that should do.
:rolleyes:Safla

ashypeshy

SW professionals....wat u mean professional? is Bill Gates a Software professional? so.... who r the professionals then?????

vny2kor

Hi Guys,

Interesting posts. Quite willing to learn from the casestudy (and hopefully become a subject in next 3 years )

Meanwhile we have a farmland near Krishnagiri (we live in Bangalore). We are looking at hiring a Farm Manager.

Any suggestions ?

regards
Nilesh and Vinay

shanmuga06

Agriculture is a boon of god

Sir,

Its very proud to hear that the IT people are likes agriculture.One thing I want to say that the IT people forefathers are /were belongs to the agriculture families.From the income of their fore fathers they have completed their higher studies like B tech,BE (EC),BE( IT),BCA,MCA,MS.So its indicates they are from basicaly agriculture families.Daily i am getting minimum 10 phone calls from abroad regarding farming and related activities for consultancy.And also its a natural law like crop rotation.For example 20 years back everybody want to study the engineering in all respects .Now 10 years back everybody want to study Medicine and recent past every body wants become as IT professinals.Now what is the position for all studies.But education in any form is powerful weapon for ever.Everybody will know the food for human is essential in the world.Without food any body will not become a professionals in any field.The food for human comes from farmers.I.e agriculture.So this is a turn for agriculture otherwise we will be throw in the hell.So i welcomes all IT proferssionals and other professionals to do agriculture,horticulture,silviculture,apiculture,aquaculture ,viticulture and vermiculture.

with kind regards

A Sivakumar,
Chief Consultant,(Technical&Plantations)
Priya Nursery Garden,
KARAIKUDI-630001.
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

Hello there,

Yes, indeed its important and interesting TOPIC we have been sharing our information. I believe strongly that AGRICULTURE is the future and Agriculture is the BASE. Agriculture has HUGH POTENTIAL FUTURE. Problem is pricing of AGRICULTURE commodities. Its not scientific. As a result our FARMER is getting poorer and poorer and majority of farmers are leading life less than a dollar/day.

If all the EDUCATED people get involve in agriculture as one of their profession, then agriculture will improve, our food production will also improve.

I am too an IT professional and am from agriculture family background. I am very much interested in agriculture and I love farming and I do farming.

Here in this topic we have been discussing about the AGRI PROJECTS. I am not able to get what is AGRI PROJECTS and please name few as an example of AGRI PROJECT.

I wish, pray in God that all lives of our farmer improves and we put scientific method and newest technologies for safe food production.

Regards,

Mahesh Rao

dvenkat77

Hi Guys!
Really interesting Thread. Well, Let me introduce myself first. I am Venkatesh working as Senior project Manager in Infosys. As you know everyday client call, project meeting, delivery schedule etc. I am just 33 and almost i have all problems in my body because of this stress. So i decided one year back that we need to do some business. So i selected Agri is my prime business. because i am seeing lot of potential area for the next 20 years.

For the same first i brought 8 acres of land in outskirt of chennai. Do you know how much struggle i faced

1) cleaning the area,
2) did fencing
3) made a hut
4) applied for electricity
5) digg bore
6) pipeline conenction etc etc.....

To get into the shape i spend moeny like anything , i can say lakhs and lakhs. Then only i relaised why farmers doing sucide... For each and everything i paid money for every department like VO, AD, Register etc.

Finally my land is ready for farming. So i decided to go with organice farming. I did a complete planning.

I went to agriculture department and brought a drum seeding machine - Hand move.

Very first time, i spreaded the seeds using this drum seeding machine and waited for 10 days... everything come properly but ... if paddy stawr grows for 2 inch... the cross is growing 5 inch. afetr 10 days.. i can't able to find out which one straw and which one paddy. So total floop.

Waitied for next season, now this time i went with regular method. This time i have put sufficient vitamins for my land. All my paddy straw grown well. I can say almost in arround 15 kms from my land.. my paddy straw was too good and grown well. every one in the town talking about my paddy starw. i did everything on time. i have taken care of medicine on time. So grown well. finally after 90 days i am seeing lots and lots of paddy grains in the straw.

I was so Happy that my project is success. i have to wait for another 20 days to do harvest. One fine day rain started. it was continues 4 days rain and all my paddy straw floating in the rain water. Inside i was crying liek anything. Not only because of money... money i can get that if i go one more time onsite. But the amount of hard work which i put in that was totally lost. so all the yellow grains are changed to black grains. finally i got some money.

As per my calculations i suppose to get 10k in one acre land. but i end up with 10k loss per acre plus my effort.

That's it i stopepd that day.. now it is more than 9 months i didn't do anything.. i am still thinking whether i should start a dairy cow farm in that land or goat form or thinking of cultivating casurina..

i have complete idea about all these things, but affriad to start. But surely i will start by next 3 to 3 months.

So what i want to convey here for the "Software Professionals" are Don't think that it is a easy business.

1) getting labour is a big problem. That too, if they think that you have money that's it they will suck you rblood liek anything.
2) You can't do pilot project or POC before doing this business.
3) on the field you have to jump and you have to learn, There is no NIIT,CSC or Aptech is there an doffcourse No Google is there to help you. You have to help yourself always.
4) On top of that you have to have Luck & god blessings.

5) To my understanding, i don't know how come they derived 24% ROI. The margin is less so if you decided to put your effort put it in the large size so that you will get very good amount.

Example.
1) In one cycle if eevrything goes fine minimum 5000 maximum 10000 you will get per acre.
IF you do it for 100 acres which is 5 lacs to 10 lacs per cycle. Per cycle meas end to end 4 to 5 months.

So what ever you are earning in IT , you can get the same in Agri too provided if you do it large size.

Always Poor agri man,
Venki.