Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Your help is required for a Buffalo Farm!

Register

Click Here!

jose_cok

I am in the process of preparing a project report for a buffalo fattening farm. This is a new venture by a team of 4 including me. Though we are into agricultaral farming like ginger, banana, etc.., our experience in buffalo rearing is quite limited.

As this project was in our mind and discussions for a while. As usual, there were a lot of questions related to the operations and economics of this project. Finally, we decided to kick start this project before the coming monsoon. As the first step, we visited a few agricultural properties last week as we are planning to lease out or buy the land for this purpose. The project will be purely a Buffalo / Cattle fattening unit which will be adopting an integrated farming style (Rabbits, Fish, etc...) from the second year onwards. This is so because we can work focussed in understanding and learning more about the market.

There a a few queries that i have which i wish the experienced members in this industry can help us out with.

1. We are planning to purchase 12 months old buffalo calves and rear them for 8 - 12 months.
  • Average weight of a 12 month old calf?
  • The average rate for a calf seems to be 4000 - 6000 rupees in Tamil Nadu & Andhra. (Members from AP & TN, please advise)
  • Average live weight of a 18 - 24 month old buffalo?

2. Shed area (sq.ft.) required for a buffalo (Loose housing method)

3. How many growing buffalo's can be fed from 1 acre of fodder?
  • Average yearly yeild from 1 acre of fodder
  • Average daily intake of green fodder per growing buffalo

Your valuable inputs on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

jose_cok

Hello members, we are depending a lot on your views on the above queries / concerns. Please provide your valuable inputs without hesitation.

visar

Hi, I am not a consultant but am thinking of a project for 200-300 animals near palghat pollachi border. I can support u on many of the issues.

But before that I want to know the location and wd u be interested in a Joint venture, where we can do the farm together.

regards

Last edited by a moderator: