Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

What to do with 1.74 acres of land?

Register

Click Here!

vyuvaraj

Hello,

I have 1.74 acres of land near Arcot, Vellore district, Tamilnadu and it is uncultivated since 15 years. Neighboring farmers asked me for lease, but I do not want to lease it out as I do not want my soil applied with any chemical inputs. The soil is very fertile. Now that I have decided to put my land into use, I seek you kind suggestions.

I live in far away city and will not be able to monitor my farm on a day-to-day basis therefore I wish to cultivate some long-term crops like trees. I have made an agreement with my neighborhood for water and maintenance. So please suggest me what kind of trees can I grow and from which what yield will I get?

Thanks in advance!

Yuvaraj

arun_u28

i am arun prasath, from walajapet,

i am arun prasath, from walajapet,
contact me :

Last edited by a moderator:

hort my heart

Tropical Tress

Mr. Yuvraj

You can cultivate Amla (nellikaai) or Ber (ilandhai) since vellore is Tropical having hot climate. Better you can consult Tamilnadu Agriculture University, coimbatore or KVK at vellore. if u want their address I can provide you.

Regards
Ganeshkumar

vyuvaraj

Mr. Yuvraj

You can cultivate Amla (nellikaai) or Ber (ilandhai) since vellore is Tropical having hot climate. Better you can consult Tamilnadu Agriculture University, coimbatore or KVK at vellore. if u want their address I can provide you.

Regards
Ganeshkumar
Thanks Mr. Ganeshkumar for your valuable suggestions. I will think about it as I was thinking of coconut plantation.

balunpaddu

Hi Raj, Firstofall I greet you for not letting chemicals in to your farm. With this much of land you can easily earn 25,000 pm. you appoint a LOYAL person as a manager and guide him the ways to improve income. first of all you go for flower and vegetable cultivation. Also you can plant plantain trees. In 3 or 4 months you can see the income increases gradually. OR plant trees like malaivembu, nelli, coconut etc,. You gain confidence of your neighbor farmers and they will help you. Not like in our Metro Cities. If you love your land all the plants will grow automatically. Best of Luck.

padmanabhan_ganesan

Thanks Mr. Ganeshkumar for your valuable suggestions. I will think about it as I was thinking of coconut plantation.
Hi vyuvaraj,

Do not go for Coconut Plantation as the market for coconuts is very less now-a-days. Please refer to the other posts regarding this and you will understand why. Coconut requires huge water and hence this is not a suitable crop for Vellore.

You should think of dry-land crops like Amla (nellikaai), Ber (ilandhai), Sathukkudi, Sappota etc.

Please plan well and dont regret later.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

vyuvaraj

How about poultry!?

Thanks for your suggestions! I will start growing such drought resistant plants and trees as border crops. How about keeping broiler poultry in-between the farm. Hope they have good returns.
-Yuvaraj
-------------------------
Hi Raj, Firstofall I greet you for not letting chemicals in to your farm. With this much of land you can easily earn 25,000 pm. you appoint a LOYAL person as a manager and guide him the ways to improve income. first of all you go for flower and vegetable cultivation. Also you can plant plantain trees. In 3 or 4 months you can see the income increases gradually. OR plant trees like malaivembu, nelli, coconut etc,. You gain confidence of your neighbor farmers and they will help you. Not like in our Metro Cities. If you love your land all the plants will grow automatically. Best of Luck.

vyuvaraj

Dear Friends,

I coordinate the social enterprise unit, Tamilnadu Projects in an NGO namely FXB India Suraksha. We are aiming to turn rural poor women into social entrepreneurs and we have engaged currently about 20 women in sanitary napkin production, coir rope making, thatch weaving, poultry, honey bee keeping, vermi-composting etc., Now we are planning to start mushroom production in Villupuram Dist., (Near Pondicherry).

We would prefer milky mushroom cultivation as it is congenial for the climatic conditions where we are and has better durability and market demand compared to oyster mushroom, this is what I learnt from KVK, Tindivanam and from the 2 exposure visits I undertook. Could any one of you help us in the economics, training and technical support in this regard. We can dedicate 11X50 land for establishment for cultivation. Kindly reach me at vyuvaraj@fxbsuraksha.org or 9751691040, Thanking you in advance. Yuvaraj.