Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

What happened to Teak Plantation Companies of 1990s ?

Register

Click Here!

rohit_warren

Hi All,

What happened to Teak Plantation Companies of 1990s ?

A relevant question to ask after a decade has passed since their inception.

I know that SEBI has banned these companies in 1998 and then they simply disappeared from the scene. However there were almost 3500 companies all over India engaged in the plantation investment business and most of them have actually planted the trees at some location.

It would be great if you will post any of your experience with any of these plantation companies that would give many new generation readers some insight.

This is a community focused post so please share your experience for the benefit of the society.

Regards
Rohit

gowda

Hi

Most of the Collective investment Schemes on Teak Plantation promised the unrealistic returns. Some of them were frauds collected Money and gave nothing Back to investors Example Guru Teak in Karnataka. Some Companies who did started plantation made money with Real estate boom. Investors are in big soup. Even today many people promise unrealistic returns In teak Cultivation. In the past one European insurance company did the same to investors by promising high returns.

Now SEBI has lot of restrictions on CIS for Teak or Goat Farming.

shanmuga06

Teak plantations companies in india

Gowda sir you have forgottan the Anubauv Teak plantations ,Chennai,Sterling magnum Teak plantations ,Chennai and Maxworth plantations, Chennai.These three are major quantum of amount collected from the public.They targeted the metropolitan people those dnt know and seen the teak seedlings phsically.But they aware of the teakwood timber seen at timber yard and also know the rate of the teak wood rate i.e one cubic feet Rs 2800/-thats all.The three companies collected nearly Rs 2000/- crores.The most of investers were belonged to middle class and most of this peoples belonged to brahamins like retired employees .

sivarathinam

To add further to Shunmuha comment, I understand few people are already behind bar. (Remember they occupied considerable amount of TV time in advertising their rpoposals)

It is unfortunate, many small time investors lost thier hard earned money. It is a lesson or an eye opener that one should never enter in to such kind of investment from the face value unless a through evolution is done in every aspect.

regards, siva

chirag

Thought of Teak plantation bring tears.

Dear Friends,
I am very much thankful to Mr. Rohit who picked up the old issue.
It is really the fate full fact that we are discussing on these post.
In those days many of the companies with the great desire in the application forms showed the dreems to the inocent public. They gathered large amount and marketed the plantation in the far away region from the field.
The strategy was simple the person who invested Rs.2000/ plant will never come to visit the plant alloted to them.
More over the company from south marketed the plants in North. Where as the eastern companies had their better hold in west.
Many of the lower and middle class people invested the fund in these companies and the local agents were paid in huge. They showed the lollypops to the inocent people and intrust of the local agents they invested and afterwards the result is in front of us.
More over the technical details given in the form and the quantity on maturity priscribed was also gloomy.
In short the Teak plantation story in not over here.
Now a days the teak plants are sold at very high rates in the name of rooted tissue culture. More over the companies assure the farmers to observe the plants for the 2 years and it is also very costly. The plants which cost around Rs.8- 10 in lot is sold at Rs. 65/ plant with 3-4 leaves and about 6 inches in height.
One of my friend in Falana In Pali district of Rajasthan was guided for the Teak plantation I asked him to think twice before going to such a costlier plants. Then he cut down the order and gave the trial order of 200 plants.
1 year passed and not a single plant servived not a single person turned back to look after the health of plant. Still I find the plant bags empty lying in his field. He wasted his Rs.12000/- and learned the lesson.
The most intresting thing is the people never think of suitable crops in the region and just follow others who are in the different climatic region.
Any way it is over selfs who have to think.

Last edited:

shanmuga06

Teak plantations

dear Chirag,

You have posted somethings about teak plantations.But i am not able to foollow you.Because you are blaming the teak plantations company or tissue culture teak saplings growing lab.firstup you know the tissue culture is one the miracle advancement and technology.This was invented by seniors agri scientist with major strugle.You have quoted that the rate tissue culture teak sapling as Rs 6 /- its a great wonder .whats rate of Tea @ Jalore ? Here one tea is Rs 5/-.do you know the cost tissue culture laboratory ? and also salary of the scientist who are working in the tissue culture lab? Whether you aware of the ordinary root/stump is selling Rs 35 /-per stump the same has bewen posted in this site.kindly yopu go through this site .Now a days we wnt get groundnut beas for Rs 5/-.But you are telling rate of the the tissue culture teak sapling is Rs 6-8.This not correct rate .Good quality tissue culture teak sapling propagated by well versed and well experienced agri scientist the rate become as rs 100/- is offeradable rate compartely to the leading seed company like indo american,mahyo.And also you have stated that your friend purchased 200 plants and wornout.its natural .Every plantations surviving ratio is there.But i think your place is hot and aried area in india.But this is not the correct reason.some technical lapse wiil be in your friend s land and water soure .So kindly advice your friend please examine the soil like PH and NPK in the agriculture dept soil testing laboratory.After that they will suggest appriote plants and crop recommand you.So without knowing tissue culture teak propagation you should post and blame like the rate is high and in bulk its cost rs 6 .This is not a good approch.if you want to know the merits of tissue culture i will help in some respect.But i much satified about your posting that the last version that the people who dnt know which crop and plant suitable for their land .This kind of awreness is important for the farmers and people especialy in your location

thank you

a Sivakumar

mhk_khan

diff. bet. tissue culture and root/stump

Dear sir,
Thanks for ur knowledge sharing...would u put some more light on diff. bet. tissue culture and root/stump that you mentioned in your post ?

Regards
MhKhan

rohit_warren

Hi All,

Thanks for your insight, would like to hear more experiences and views from the members.
The reason for bringing up the old forgotten topic was to refresh the memory of old folks and provide awareness to the new gen who are always looking at get rich soon kind of schemes and always end up burning their heard earned money.

Thanks once again
Rohit

chirag

dear Chirag,

You have posted somethings about teak plantations.But i am not able to foollow you.Because you are blaming the teak plantations company or tissue culture teak saplings growing lab.firstup you know the tissue culture is one the miracle advancement and technology.This was invented by seniors agri scientist with major strugle.You have quoted that the rate tissue culture teak sapling as Rs 6 /- its a great wonder .whats rate of Tea @ Jalore ? Here one tea is Rs 5/-.do you know the cost tissue culture laboratory ? and also salary of the scientist who are working in the tissue culture lab? Whether you aware of the ordinary root/stump is selling Rs 35 /-per stump the same has bewen posted in this site.kindly yopu go through this site .Now a days we wnt get groundnut beas for Rs 5/-.But you are telling rate of the the tissue culture teak sapling is Rs 6-8.This not correct rate .Good quality tissue culture teak sapling propagated by well versed and well experienced agri scientist the rate become as rs 100/- is offeradable rate compartely to the leading seed company like indo american,mahyo.And also you have stated that your friend purchased 200 plants and wornout.its natural .Every plantations surviving ratio is there.But i think your place is hot and aried area in india.But this is not the correct reason.some technical lapse wiil be in your friend s land and water soure .So kindly advice your friend please examine the soil like PH and NPK in the agriculture dept soil testing laboratory.After that they will suggest appriote plants and crop recommand you.So without knowing tissue culture teak propagation you should post and blame like the rate is high and in bulk its cost rs 6 .This is not a good approch.if you want to know the merits of tissue culture i will help in some respect.But i much satified about your posting that the last version that the people who dnt know which crop and plant suitable for their land .This kind of awreness is important for the farmers and people especialy in your location

thank you

a Sivakumar
Sir,
No one can denay about the losses of the investors in plantation companies. Most of the companies were engaged in Teak plantation. More over in the remote region many farmers are been cheated in the name of Tissue cultured
Teak plants.
It is really important topic for the discussion.

chirag

new issues of the plantation.

Dear Friends,
Few months back in july month some of the plantation company's reprsentative were marketing the various plants in Sirohi region comming from Banglore side and some from Andhrapradesh. If we compare the rates with the local standared nurseries the rates wer 5 -6 times higher.
The same variety available from the local suppliers are more stable and suitable to the climate. Just they have their targets and on acheiving the targets they have to return back. God knows how to trust on the quality of the plant.
Many such things are happing it is only we who have to decide the correct person company.

rohit_warren

Hi,
The topic is become interesting and informative, now the question is how effective is the tissue cultured teak plant, I read in this forum someone claiming 1.5 mtrs growth in 16 years. If that is true then what teak those plantation companies have planted in 1990s would be enough to pay back the investors whatever they have promised.
However that is not happening, I know someone who looks after a teak farm he says that it will take 30-40 years for the real value to emerge.\
Greed is the factor which creates veil on the common sense, latest scam is of Car Investment schemes - I am surprised by the way common middle class population gets lured away by these tall impossible gains claim ?
History has taught us that a rolling return of 12-13% is achievable and sustainable over a period of time. Windfall gains may occur, however that is always followed by some kind of correction.

More views welcome

Thanks
Rohit

shanmuga06

Tissue culture teak plantations

Sir,

many companies cheated the public money thats noted and known factor.But nobody mentioned in their advertisment that they have utlised the tissue culture teak saplings .The tissue culture chapter was not mentioned in any companies profiles and advertisment.Because that much awareness was not availiable on those days among public.Past ten years the tissue culture &cloning method is familierised among the institutions even not among farmers and public.But the companies cheating the people like you in the name of tissue culture teak we the people of hitech like bio labs are not reponsible.Because they have not purchased even single sapling from any concern.So I feel teak plantation cheating is the topic for discussion not tissue culture teak.

with regards

A Sivakumar

rohit_warren

Hi All,

Do you see still many companies are trying to make fool of small investors by giving tall claims without any proven track record - Please beware.

Thanks
Rohit

shanmuga06

Tissue culture teak

Mr. chirag,

Yes i agree that the investors lose their money.there is no doubt.The teak plantations is the topic for discussion.But not tissue culture teak plantations tio dicuss.

rohit_warren

Old wine in new bottle - now the car / cab investment companies are promising astronomical returns - Would like to hear your valuable comments on this.

Thanks
Rohit

shanmuga06

teak plantation is the important topic for dicussion not Tissue culture Teak plantati

Yes I accepted the cheating of moneyin the way of teak plantations.And also teak plantation is the important topic for discussion not Tissue culture Teak plantations.

Sivakumar

shanmuga06

Everybody wants become millinaire

Mr Rohit,
Your version is correct that the old wine in the new bottle.First up all you understand the root cause .Every body wants become a millionire in a short period without manpower.Why should the people thinking about the shortcut routes.Our govt has somany facilities like Nationalised bank, post office with reasonable interests.So everybody will think about these.Opting the teak plantations is also good.But you should plant a teak in your home or you can plant some 100 in your land.Why should you sought for agency for planting the tea?

neilkaye

Teak cultivation is a good business!

But it should be done in conjunction with other activities on the farm so that there is not too much relaince placed on one item. If you have a farm or a small plot, plant teak at the extremeties where it will not affect other crops or standing buildings. A density of about 10 plants per acre spaced out on the boundaries might be optimum.

Buy suitable sapling from agri research stations or agri universities and make sure that you take care of the the plants for the first two years. You may need to coppice the plant depending on its growth.

But dont expect returns in 5 years. Not even in 10 or 20!! Wait for atleast 40 years so that your children or grandchildren can reap the benefits.