Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

ways for irrigating Drylands??

Register

Click Here!

carnay

Irrigation in dry land

Hi,
Can any one let me know the ways for irrigating drylands ?
Dear friend !
Here is a solution for irrigation in dry land

1. If there is no water source like bore well or open well or tank/ ponds then there is no way of irrigating your crops except when crops receive rain.
2. In that case you need to conserve moisture in soil. technology is summer ploughing-ithe soil absorb rainwater and retain it.

2.If you raise any crop in dry land you need to form broad bed of the size 4' which not only conserve soil moisture and also act as soil mulch

3.Organic mulch like crop residues are spread near around crop roots to minimise evaporation loss of water

4.Apply more pottasium -it makes plants hardy and resist drought

5.Irrigation is done during critical phase of crop growth only

6. If you have water source like either borewell or open well but water availability is limited install drip system-it avoid water loss and increase water use efficiency by 30-40 %

7.Irrigation should done during evening or night hours only

8. Plant wind break which reduce water loss thro' transpiration

Above are the effective irrigation management in dry land area

sincerely

Last edited by a moderator:

aruunpsg

Hi Brother, Thanks for the reply.
Here comes my problem. I do have a openwell in my fertile land ... I also have Dryland which is located 4km away my fertile land.

Is it possible to bring water from my fertile land to my dryland ?.. How much it would be expensive ??

Is goverment providing any subsidy for this irrigation ?

carnay

Irrigation in dry land

Hi Brother, Thanks for the reply.
Here comes my problem. I do have a openwell in my fertile land ... I also have Dryland which is located 4km away my fertile land.

Is it possible to bring water from my fertile land to my dryland ?.. How much it would be expensive ??

Is goverment providing any subsidy for this irrigation ?
First you must tell which district you belong to and also your state.And you must narrate your exact position wrt your land condition , then you must ask for solution.

You can bring water from fertile area to dry area thro' laying water carrying pipeline for entire 4 kilometer in shortest route for which you may need to obtain permission to lay pipeline from other farmers when pipeline is passing thro' their land. Further ensure the quantity and discharge of water from fertile area because low discharge may not pump water to long distance economically.

Here only solution for your problem is to lay pipeline.

Here in tamilnadu state govt provide 50% subsidy to the farmers. I dont know which state you belong to. So you better approach nearest Agriculture extension centre and enquire about this matter.

Carnay

Last edited:

rmathews

land in TN and irregation

Dear Carnay,

i have land in between Thenkasi and Chenkotai near to hill slop. have 2 bore well, one well with motor and that borewell has 600feet deep but motor put in 200mtr depth only. land area is 20acere and doe not connected with any iregation infrastructure. there is no overhead tank or any drip irrigation facility. presently land have few cocount trees which are not in healthy stage. am planning to put re plantation of coconut trees. on initial stage need some short term crop (with minimal attendance/care) and long term crop. also in initial stage do not wanted to invest heavy in cultivations

can u pls suggest

- options of irregations
- some recomendations in crop pattern'
- what are the basic machinery;s/equipments to be procured

rgds
mathew

carnay

Suggestion for farming in 20 acres

Dear Carnay,

i have land in between Thenkasi and Chenkotai near to hill slop. have 2 bore well, one well with motor and that borewell has 600feet deep but motor put in 200mtr depth only. land area is 20acere and doe not connected with any iregation infrastructure. there is no overhead tank or any drip irrigation facility. presently land have few cocount trees which are not in healthy stage. am planning to put re plantation of coconut trees. on initial stage need some short term crop (with minimal attendance/care) and long term crop. also in initial stage do not wanted to invest heavy in cultivations

can u pls suggest

- options of irregations
- some recomendations in crop pattern'
- what are the basic machinery;s/equipments to be procured

rgds
mathew
Dear mathew!

Well.2 borewells with enough discharge can cover 20 acres of land @ 1 borewell for 10 acres

Irrigation option-You said you dont have irrigation network like drip system or overhead tank. Since your farm site is hilly slope , you can have a farm pond constructed at the head of slope from where you can irrigate all field using slope gradients and flow will be effected by gravity

Or else you can lay water carrying pipe as irrigation network to connect all fields directly with pump to ensure efficient delivery of water without transmission loss ..

or else if you plan for hi value high yielding hybrid varieties of vegetables or fruit cultivation either as monocrop or as multicrop , better you can opt drip irrigation system with fertigation tank or ventury..

with respect to cropping pattern you go for multicropping as

1.coconut+ banana+onion

2.coconut+cocoa+turmeric

3.Banana+ watermelon

4.Mango+vegetables

5.mango + groundnut

6.mango+watermelon

7.Mango+ chillies + onion

8.Redlady papaya+coriander+onion

This is an indication of options available. However the option may vary according to the consumer preference and market driven demand for agriculture/ horticulture produce..

Regarding farm machinaries you may need to maintain for entire 20 acres

1. one MF tractor for ploughing , spraying and farm transporation+ tipper/ trailor

2.1 set each of chisel plough, disc plough, cultivator, bund former

3.1 set each of power sprayers, hand operated sprayers

4.power weeder and rotovator for intercultural operations

And what other machinaries you may think appropriate once you are through farming operations

According to the prevailing conditions and market demand you need to try your own novel ideas and apply your mind for better farm production..technology changes over the period of times..

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

selvam336

Dry Land : Plants/Tree

Dear Friends,

I have dry land 10 Acre with one bore well at Sivagagai Dist, Tamil Nadu. I don't have sufficient water and normal rain fall when i compare with other Dist in TN. Please let me know what are all the trees I can plant which will sustain with less water. I am planning to rain water harvasting at my farm(not let water go out of my land).

what are all other ways I can develop. Please suggest me.

I am not interested with Ucalipitus tree(this will eat ground water more).

regards
selvam

agri1972

Dryland crops

Following crops or trees are suitable
Ber trees,
Ailanthus tree
Vettiver
Dryland grass like kozhukkattai pul and Sheep farming

kirti s

Hello sir

Sir for harvesting rain water u can try bunds, field trenches, planting pits, micro-basins, retention basins, sand dams, conjunctive use, gully plug, controlled drainage or fog drip.

editorialteam

Drip irrigation system is not retaining the moisture, Drip irrigation is the system which can give the water directly to the root joining area of a plant. You can give whenever you want water and can give whatever quantity you want to give, you can control the water supply systems. It cannot retain the soil moisture in the soil through this irrigation system because soil moisture you can see in the things it is not pertaining to drip irrigation systems. Most of the things are different.

As told by-
Rakesh Donga, MD&CEO
DONGA Watertech Private Limited

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Donga,

What are the important points a farmer has to think of when he asks for drip irrigation for his dry land?

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Donga,

What are the important points a farmer has to think of when he asks for drip irrigation for his dry land?

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team
The farmer has to choose the company by seeing the quality of the drip irrigation system, then availability of the services, and after sale services. This is the most important part. Quality of the components, services and how they are installing and how they are designing the system. These parts they have to consider before purchasing the drip irrigation system.

As told by -
Mr. Rakesh Donga
DONGA Watertech Private Limited

editorialteam

Dear Friends,

I have dry land 10 Acre with one bore well at Sivagagai Dist, Tamil Nadu. I don't have sufficient water and normal rain fall when i compare with other Dist in TN. Please let me know what are all the trees I can plant which will sustain with less water. I am planning to rain water harvasting at my farm(not let water go out of my land).

what are all other ways I can develop. Please suggest me.

I am not interested with Ucalipitus tree(this will eat ground water more).

regards
selvam
Using rain water harvesting method on a dryland farm is a very good method to go about. The water table around your land improves, and you can go for good commercial crops growing.

Best ways for irrigation for dryland which is practical and affordable for farmers-
To the best of my knowledge building bunds around the land and if the land is at the distance of 1000 mtrs or so near river and any water body then get the pipeline from it.

As told by -
Mr. Anil Bagalkotkar
Dryland Farmer

editorialteam

In order to conserve moisture in soil in dryland - farmers can build bunds, so that the rain water is allowed to soaked at the same place in the farmland, and only the excess water should be left to be over flowed.

As told by-
As told by -
Mr. Anil Bagalkotkar
Dryland Farmer

bharatbook

Irrigation Drylands

This is amazing thread and discussion, I know some places near my home town where's need of irrigation, these ideas posted in this thread is good and very useful thanks to you people for discussing this Topic....!