Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Watermelon cultivation

Register

Click Here!

parthureddyg

Hi,

I would like to cultivate Watermelon...Below are my queries...Appreciate your responses.

I have around 10 acres of land and currently cultivated black gram and got good yield.

Soil type is - Loam - red color - dry land

Irrigation - I have a bore well with good amount of water. Requested for drip irrigation from govt. still waiting.

- Is it OK if i can sow the seeds from Feb 1st 2014. Will there be a problem as the harvesting time is around April mid because of high temp??

- How much yield can i expect for acre?

- What are the prices per tonn in April (an average) ?

- Any precautions ??

Thank you...

Regards,
Vijay

kranthiagri

Hay Vijay,

I am also planning to cultivate watermelan in 5 acres this summer, I am also running with same queriers, hope we get valuble feedback... :)

rohanjain

If you are really up to it. Then you should go for it. You shouldn't be afraid of later weather conditions as you point towards the heat of April. It will give you the most of profit, because it is the most wanted fruit in April to June time.

niksnarayana

Hi
April may not be best time for watermelon as it is start of mango season. During mango season, prices for all fruits drops.

Yield from icebox variety is around 18-20 tons, normal variety is around 12 tons. Go for good quality seed by checking what variety is most in demand in your local market.
Incidently you havent mentioned where you are from, so prices depend where your land is.

Nikhil

parthureddyg

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for the reply.

I am from Andhra Pradesh and Kadapa Area...

An average the prices will fluctuate between 5 rs to 12 rs. in our local market.

Is icebox variety is good?? Is the price will be less comparing the normal variety??

Regards,
Vijay