Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Want to start Diary business.

Register

Click Here!

Hi,
I am a IT guy has a part time I want to start diary businees & going forward I will make it has my full time work. as of now staying in Bangalore.

can someone guide or help me how to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Important Things to start of with

Land
Plan
Fodder
Patinece
Knowledge on Cattels
Marketing ( Not an issue )
Investment plan
Manpowe Plan

Regards,
Mallikarjun

sri2012

Additional info for above topic
Land: 1Acre for 5-6 Cattle. This is for green fodder cultivation. If you buy green fodder your profit will be reduced and there will be risk of scarcity.
Plan: Plan of cattle barn, Fodder,lactation etc. Each topic is very vast.
Buying of Cattle: Dont buy from Local Fair you must be lucky to get good animal. Buy from Govt breeding centres or local minidairies, after visitng frequently. You must check milk yeild during milking( it must be a surprise visit otherwise there are harmones which can produce more milk for a day or two)

You must plan for self sustaining power, either solar+wind hybrid system or bio gas generator.

You must also plan for lactation and dry days of cattle: for Eg if you buy 10 Cattle all are pregnant. All 10 will start milking together and dries out together. During dry days you will be spending for fodder from your pocket. So plan some animals milking and some animals are in dry days.

Labour: Your labour will have no holidays. If they tak holiday you will have to milk cows and feed them. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? or you must have perfect control over your labour so they can take planned holidays.

If you have plan to buy 10 animals. It is advisable to buy in batches of 2 or 3. The reason is your catlle need some time to get accalimatise to your farm. If they behave cranky and dont eat food, you may not be able to control all 10 animals together.

Plan your barn so that no urine should stays in cattle resting area.

Reduce efforts to clean dung. you can have a pressure water gun to wash away the dung. Or you can have manure scraper (a simple one)

Plan to have a identification system for each animal, record milk yeild, drying date, calving etc. After fifth calving most animals drops milk yeild and becomes constant. Many dairies consider this as no profit.

Plan for fodder: If you bring 10 animals today you must also have ready green fodder atleast 450Kg/day stock. That means you should have started cultivation of fodder 60 days back.
Fodder:You can have Napier CO4/Rhodes Grass/Guinea Grass/Sorghum and Alfaalfa/Subabul/Azolla

You can plan for Silage also, We have found it is easy to prepare silage in drums and it is easy to use, preserve and handle. Also less labouriouse.

sreeharsha

hiii my name is sree harsha iam also plng to start farm and this is my id you can contact me in fb and if you are interested i will guide you