Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Vegetables in shade

Register

Click Here!

Ashwini

hi

Where are you located Sir?? Most of vegetables can be cultivated in shade but depends on the soil and climate too

Regards
Ashwini

mvrhyd

I am staying in Hyderabad. Actually, I have space in my apartment balcony which do not get sunlight. I want to grow the vegetables in pots. Currently, I am growing capsicum plants and they are giving some fruits but not much. Please advice some of the vegetables which I can grow and the procedure to get good yields.

Thanks
Venkat

shreesh

Not many vegetables grow well in shade

I am not aware of many vegetables that grow well in the shade.

Ginger can, though even ginger prefers filtered sunlight.

I read this on a site (VEGETABLES FOR THE SHADY GARDEN) after seeing your question :

"In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants) are the least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. Shade tolerant leafy vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and radiccio. Broccoli (and its relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips, mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.

Leafy vegetables display another advantage: they can be picked and enjoyed at any stage of maturity, unlike sun-loving vegetables that must ripen."

Try google, you will find more answers.

Regarding growing in a balcony : keep the potted soil well aerated ... mix some sand in it. The usual mistake is to use clayey soil and then over-water it (because the more you love the plant, the more you tend to water it :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

serv

How to grow vegetables in pots?

Hi all,

Can you guide me about which vegetables I can grow on my baclony pots in Mumbai?
Have already tried green chillies and tomatoes, but after 3months chilly plants get infected by some white bugs something and tomatoes are too small. Please advice.

Ashwini

Hi

YOu can cultivate chillies....how is your balcany situated, completely no sunlight at all.... then it would be difficult to grow. I have grown chillies and tomato in my balcony. Try leafy vegetables like mint, dill, coriander

Regards
Ashwini