Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

to grow turmetic in coconut farm

Register

Click Here!

sridhar152

sir i want to grow turmeric in 7 acres coconut farm.sir can u send me the cd of turmeric cultivation i mean practical cd of cultivation of turmeric cultivation.

Ashwini

Hi sridhar,
Turmeric requires a warm and humid climate. It can be grown in diverse tropical conditions from sea level to 1500 mm above MSL within a temperature range of 20-30°C with a rainfall of 1500 mm or more per annum or under irrigated conditions.

Though turmeric thrives in different types of soil ranging from light black loam, red soils to clayey loams, rich loamy soils having natural drainage and irrigation facilities are the best. Turmeric cannot stand water stagnation or alkalinity.

Turmeric requires a warm and humid climate. It can be grown in diverse tropical conditions from sea level to 1500mm above MSL within a temperature range of 20-30°C with a rainfall of 1500 mm or more per annum or under irrigated conditions. Though turmeric thrives in different types of soil ranging from light black loam, red soils to clayey loams, rich loamy soils having natural drainage and irrigation facilities are the best. Turmeric cannot stand water stagnation or alkalinity.

Turmeric can be cultivated organically as an intercrop along with other crops provided that all the companion crops are also organically grown. In some areas, turmeric is grown as an intercrop with mango, jack and litchi and on the west coast with coconut and arecanut.

Often castor and pigeon pea are planted on the borders and on irrigation channels to provide shade

5.2 Rotation

Turmeric is grown in rotation with sugarcane, chilli, onion, garlic, elephant foot yam, vegetables, pulses, wheat, ragi and maize. It is cultivated as a subsidiary crop to ginger in some areas and in other areas with chilli and quick-growing vegetables.

5.3 Buffer zone

In order to cultivate turmeric organically a buffer zone of 25 to 50 feet shall be maintained if the neighbouing farms are non-organic. The produce from this zone shall not be treated as organic. Being an annual crop, turmeric requires a conversion period of two years.

5.4 Land preparation

While preparing the land, minimum tillage operations may be adopted. Beds of 15 cm height,1 m width and of convenient length may be prepared giving at least 50 cm spacing between beds. In the case of the irrigated crop, ridges and furrows are prepared and the rhizomes are planted in shallow pits on the top of the ridges. Spacing generally adopted is 45-60 cm between the ridges and 15-20 cm between the plants. Solarisation of beds is beneficial in checking the multiplication of pests and diseases causing organisms. The polythene sheets used for soil solarisation should be kept away safely after the work is completed.

5.5 Planting material

Carefully preserved seed rhizomes free from pests and diseases which are collected from organically cultivated farms should be used for planting. However, to begin with seed material from high yielding local varieties may be used in the absence of organically produced seeds. For sowing, both the mother - rhizomes and fingers are used. The fingers are cut into 4 - 5 cm long pieces, and the mother rhizomes are planted as such or split into two; each having at least one sound bud. The seed is sometimes sprouted under moist straw before sowing.

5.6 Varieties

A number of cultivars are available in the country and are known mostly by the name of the locality where they are cultivated. The cultivated varieties show considerable variation in size and colour of the rhizomes and curcumin content. More than 5 per cent curcumin content and lemon yellow, orange or orange yellow coloured turmeric powder are preferred in the international market. There are two dominant types of turmeric found on the world market: 'Madras', and 'Alleppey', both named after the regions of production in India. The orange-yellow flesh Alleppey turmeric is predominantly imported by the United States, where users prefer it as a spice and a food colorant. Alleppey turmeric contains about 3.5% to 5.5% volatile oils, and 4.0% to 7.0% curcumin. In contrast, the Madras type contains only 2% of volatile oils and 2% of curcumin. The Madras turmeric is preferred by the British and Middle Eastern markets for its more intense, brighter and lighter yellow color.

The Patna variety is noted for its deep colour. Of the two types cultivated in Maharashtra, 'Lokhandi' has bright coloured hard rhizomes and the other has light-coloured soft rhizomes. The popular commercial varieties in Andhra Pradesh are 'Duggirala' of Guntur and 'Tekurpeta' which has long, stout, smooth and hard fingers. 'Kasturi Pasupa' of the Godavari Delta, the 'Armoor' type of the Nizamabad area and the 'Chaya Pasupa' are the other important varieties of Andhra Pradesh. In Orissa important varieties cultivated are Roma, Suroma, Ranga and Rasmi. Lakadong variety of ginger is grown in Meghalaya and this variety is popular for high curcumin content of 5 to 5.05%.

5.7 Planting

At the time of planting 25 g powdered neem cake mix well with soil is applied in each pit taken at a spacing of 20-25 cm within and between rows. Seed rhizomes may be put in shallow pits and covered with well rotten cattle manure or compost mixed with Trichoderma (10 gm compost inoculated with Tricoderma). A seed rate of 1000 kg rhizomes is required for planting one acre of land. As an intercrop in a fruit-garden seed rate may be as low as 125 - 200 kg per acre. Turmeric can be planted during April-July with the receipt of pre monsoon showers.

5.8 Cultural practices

Mulching the beds with green leaves is an important practice beneficial to this crop when planting is done on raised beds. This helps to enhance germination of seed rhizomes, prevents wash off of soil due to heavy rains, adds organic matter to the soil and conserves moisture during the dry period. Care may be taken to include a mix of leguminous crops with leaves rich in nitrogen content, phosphorus content like Acalypha weed and potassium content like Calotropis as mulch. The first mulching is to be done at the time of planting with green leaves @ 4-5 tonnes per acre. It is to be repeated again @ 2 tonnes / acre at 50th day after planting. Cow dung slurry may be poured on the bed after each mulching to enhance microbial activity and nutrient availability. Weeding may be carried out depending on the intensity of weed growth. Such materials may be used for mulching. Proper drainage channels are to be provided in the inter rows to drain off stagnant water.

5.9 Manuring

Turmeric needs heavy manuring. Application of well rotten cow dung or compost from own farm @2-3 tonne /acre may be given as basal dose while planting rhizomes in the pits. In addition, application of neem cake @ 0.8 tonnes/ acre is also desirable.

Harvesting and curing

The crop has to be harvested at the right maturity and is ready for harvesting in about 7 to 9 months after sowing depending upon the variety. The aromatic types mature in about 7 months, the intermediate types in about 8 months and the late types in about 9 months.

Usually the land is ploughed and the rhizomes are gathered by hand picking or the clumps are carefully lifted with a spade. Harvested rhizomes are cleaned of mud and other extraneous matter adhering to them. The average yield per acre is 8 -10 tonnes of green turmeric.

Fingers are separated from mother rhizomes. Mother rhizomes are usually kept as seed material. The green turmeric is cured for obtaining dry turmeric. Curing involves boiling of rhizomes in fresh water and drying it in the sun. No chemical should be used for processing. The cleaned rhizomes are boiled in copper or galvanized iron or earthen vessels, with water just enough to soak them. Boil till the fingers/mother rhizomes become soft. The cooked turmeric is taken out of the pan by lifting the troughs and draining the water into the pan itself. The same hot water in the pan can be used for boiling the next lot of raw turmeric which is already filled in the troughs. Alternatively, rhizomes may also be cooked using baskets with perforated bottom and sides. The mother rhizomes and the fingers are cured separately. The cooking of turmeric is to be done within 2-3 days after harvest.

Regards
Ashwini

iusfff

To grow Drumstick as intercrop with coconut

Dear Sir,
I have 3 acres of land in Harihar, Karnataka, in which i have planned to grow coconut palms of Deejay's DxT variety. And also I want to grow Drumstick as intercrop between coconut trees. I have planned to put teak plants in the boundary. I have the water facility of a borewell with 3 inches of water. Please guide me to get forward with this plan or not, as I am new to the field of agriculture, I request you to provide the detailed information(including the methods to follow) to my email Please contact...
Thanking you in anticipation
iusfff

Last edited by a moderator: