Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Tiwana Bee Farm - Horticulture farmer turns into beekeeper

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Horticulture farmer turns into beekeeper and manufacturer of beekeeping equipment

“I was a small time farmer growing paddy and wheat in 1970s. Finding farming laborious and not much lucrative I turned into electrician for couple of years in 1980. However, one fine day I came to know about bee-keeping and took up the course. During the training program itself I realized bees shall integrate my life for sure. I learnt bee-keeping and started the business with 20 boxes. Today not only 20 boxes have been increased to 5000 boxes but I also started manufacturing and selling beekeeping equipment and supplies in 1985 simultaneously. Since then there is no looking back,” says Mr. Jaswant Singh, Founder, Tiwana Bee Farm.
BOB-Lead2-2_1178.jpg
Mr. Jaswant Singh

He established the farm in 1983 at Doraha town, 20 kms from Ludhiana, Punjab. Mr. Singh has network of 30 farmers growing varied crops where the bee rearing boxes are kept. “It is win-win for situation for all as bees help in pollination the farmers get higher yield and we get good quality honey. Farmers in my group are located at different regions in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, West Bengal and Bihar state,” he adds. Few selective crops that are best source of honey are mustard, cotton, sunflower, fennel, coriander and other medicinal plants.

Mr. Singh finds the taste of honey produced from multi-flowers in the hilly areas of Himachal Pradesh the best. “The weather is soothing in these areas and soil is free from all chemical based farming inputs. Mostly in the period of February-April flowers blossom in hills magnificently making it ideal period to rear bees in this province,” he explains. The beekeeping boxes are kept in mustard growing farms in November month while in cotton fields in August month.
about-us.jpg

Speaking about the important requisites for bee keeping he says, “It is mandatory a beekeeper regularly checks on the boxes to examine the condition of the brood, food stores, look for signs of diseases and pests, and to perform various maintenance necessary for the hygiene of the honey. Seasonally, the queen should be replaced. While some inspections can be brief, it is important that the boxes be examined in a timely manner throughout the rearing period.” In one box approximately 50 kg honey is collected.

Mr. Singh sells 50% of the produced honey to the export traders while rest he processes within the farm to be sold under the brand name ‘Tiwana’. When asked about the price, he clarifies, “Traders take bulk quantity so they pay less amount varying between Rs.80-150/kg. Through direct sales we sell honey at Rs. 300/kg. The honey sold to the traders is given unprocessed while for direct sales it is processed.”

He also sells beekeeping equipment like honey processing plant, bee hives, honey extractors, smokers, protective clothing, pollen traps, grafting needles etc. All the equipments have been designed with the assistance of experts from Ludhiana University.
certificates.jpg

Tiwana Honey Processing Plant is claimed to be sleek, compact, easy to operate, energy efficient, safe-to-handle and eco-friendly honey processing unit. All the parts that come in contact of honey are made of stainless steel to ensure high product quality and hygiene. Electricity requirement for the entire plant is just 2 KW. It processes raw honey obtained from honey combs into edible grade honey of high quality by removing impurities, wax, pollens, and water. All the products are sold within and outside India. “We sell honey processing plant primarily to the African countries. Websites and social networking media help in bringing in new clients,” he asserts.

At Tiwana Bee Farm, the beekeeping box that is sold to beekeepers is called as ‘Long Stroke’ box. It has 10 frames. One frame (with bees) is sold at Rs. 300. “We also provide 5days training program covering all the aspects of the business. Our students become our customers. We are one stop solution for bee keeping,” he shares. In future he wants to expand the business operations throughout the country.

Mr. Jaswant Singh signs off saying, “I was not having any land or bank balance till 1983 but slowly and gradually bee keeping has reversed it all for good. I recommend it for all because bee keeping is a vibrant source of employment and income-generation. The industry has immense growth potential hence has room for all. Join this business today!!”

Contact details:

Tiwana Bee Farm

G.T. Road, Doraha, District Ludhiana -141421, Punjab - India.

Phone: 91-1628-259553, 91-9814032440

Email: info@tiwanabeefarm.com

Last edited:

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)