Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Teak plantaion intercroping Advice needed

Register

Click Here!

gowda

Hi

We just completed teak plantation near Mysore with the Spacing 9 X 12 with drip irrigation.
We bought Teak saplings from Karnataka forest Dept.
We intended to do Silviculture with spacing of 6X6 and do thinning for every 4 years.
Some experts recomended spacing of 9 X 12 with intercropping.
Our farm is located 700 meters above sea level with decent rain.
I am exploring the best options with the intension of Long term investment in between 12 feet rows

1) Plant Silver oaks
2) Plant Kaadu bevu (Kind of neem tree)
3) Plant Sapota/Mango
4) Plant coconut
5) Plant one more rows of TC Teak
6) Any other Timber crop with good return

Experts if you have any better suggestions Please advice,
I can wait for 10 years for return.

Last edited:

vkv_2

Dear gowda,

It is not advisable to plant

Any other Timber crop with good return.

Teak as such is a very long term crop. You have given adequate spacing for the crop which will benefit the growth of teak.

Do not go in for any other long term timber crop as inter cropping.

coconut also is not advisable with this kind of teak spacing.

I would suggest banana as a inter crop. By palnting banana you will also help in the growth devolopment of Teak. Give at least six months for the teak plant to establish itself before intercropping.

Else you can also try Casuarina Trees in between teak which can be harvested from the 4th year onward.

shanmuga06

Intercrop cultivation

Dear gowda,

you have asked about intercrop cultivation in teak plantations.definitely it can be possible.But 70% of shade will be required for some spice cultivation like pepper and nutmeg.Kindly intimate your climate condition and shade measures.

thank you

A sivaku mar
priya nursery garden
karaikudi-630001
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in
Home

gowda

Intercropping in Teak

Sivakumar

Thanks for your valuable inputs, We have planted teak saplings few months ago. I don't think we can grow pepper at this point. Can i grow Melia dubia as intercrop ?What is earliast harvesting time for the Melia dubia tree ?

Weather details are as follows.

Mysore has a warm and cool climate throughout the year. It has a salubrious climate. The climate of Mysore is moderate. The weather in winter is cool and the summers are bearable. The minimum temperature in winter is around 15 degrees Celsius and in summer the maximum temperature is around 35 degrees Celsius. Mysore gets most of its rains during the monsoon between June to September. Mysore average rainfall annually is around 86 centimeters.
Mysore has a warm and cool climate throughout the year. It has a salubrious climate. The climate of Mysore is moderate. The weather in winter is cool and the summers are bearable. The minimum temperature in winter is around 15 degrees Celsius and in summer the maximum temperature is around 35 degrees Celsius. Mysore gets most of its rains during the monsoon between June to September. Mysore average rainfall annually is around 86 centimeters.

kirti s

dear sir

i suggest u not to grow melia until it grows to a 10ft. as melia will over shadow the teak trees so please wait for some more years. by then u can grow annual flowers and aromatic and medicinal plants.

gowda

Thanks a lot,Can you please recommend any Flower or Aromatic crop (in speific)

Kirti

Thanks a lot, I will not go for any timber crop, Can you please recommend any Flower or Aromatic crop (in speific) which involves less labor work. We have planted Teak in 30 acres in addition we have 15 acres of Oil Palm and 15 acres of Areca to Maintain.

Thnx
Gowda

vkv_2

The best inter-crop along with teak is Casuarina Trees

The reason why this tree is suggested is that it does not develop a very heavy canopy and can be harvested from the 3rd to 4th year under irrigated conditions. It has a ready market and you would be able to earn a substantial amount from its sale.

Common Name: Casuarina Tree
Needles Resemble Pine
Scientific: Casuarinaceae equisetifolia
Size: Up to 114 ft tall
Uses: Firewood, hardwood, protection
Habitat: Sea level to 1,000 ft .

gowda

VKV

Thanks for the suggestion,
Do i need to wait for couple of years for till Teak plants stabalise

Thnx

Gowda

dasaribharath

advice where to buy the teak seeds.

hi ,this is bharath and i am from hyderabad. i am interested in the teak plantation and i would like to know where can i buy the seeds in the Andhra Pradesh. kindly advice asap plzzz.

vkv_2

Dear Gowda,

The first year after planting is when the teak will grow very fast.

A time frame of six to a year is more than enough to get your teak trees well established.

you can think if inter-cropping after that. The main advantage in your plantation is that you have given good spacing and your rainfall is good but is limited to a few months. Water retention in your land can be enhanced if you increase the organic matter in the soil.Mulching will give you good results.

Take care to see that branching is timely pruned without peeling the bark of the tree and also in the first year the teak does not become top heavy.

I don't think i need to tell you all this because you plan on Silviculture and must already be into agriculture.

Anyway I had planted Teak 10 years ago and based on my knowledge i taught that i will share it with you.

shanmuga06

Teak plantations

dear Bharat,

You have asked for teak plantations in your land.Kindly i suggest you please plant tissue culture Teak saplings.You will get some assued income from TC teak tree Rs 10000/- per tree on completion of 10 years.

for further more details please contact;

A.Sivakumar,
Priya Nursery Garden,
KARAIKUDI-630001,Tnadu.
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in
Home

kirti s

Dear Sir

Let teh tak plants just grow now for atleast 5months then do intercropping in it.

And if u have already established areca palms u can plant tulsi, aloevera, jatropha, patchauli.
Plase tell me what is the spacing of ur areca palms and other trees.

U can plant flower crops such as marigold, china aster, golden rod, gkladiolus according to the market demand in festive seasons.

gowda

Dear VKV

Thanks lot for you valuable suggestions.
We get decent rain from May till Oct, We have drip irrigation set-up to supplement the irrigation, but problem is Electricity in my area is not enough.
In summer they barely give 2 to 3 hours of 3 phase power, We started this project with assumption of minimum 8 hours of electricity. I was planning for generator but dropped the option after considering profitability.
We do have plan for periodic pruning and Thinning. Mulching is very good suggestion i will explore for the cheaper material like rice husk or saw dust.
We are not into agriculture, In fact i am working in IT in US from past 12 years, My dad has passion for Plantation. I am helping him out with research and analysis.

Thanx a lot
Gowda

Last edited:

sujatha109

Hi
We are planning to get into plantation and forstry too. We have acquired a substantial amount of land in AP. In the processing levelling , getting the electricity connections, set up of drip irrigation etc.

We are quite keen on planting 50 acres of land with Teak (tectona grandis) and found this website quite helpful with a lot of valuable information and suggestions.

Gowda, as you seem to have already done a lot of research , is it possible to contact you for comparing notes etc esp on carbon credit certification kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

gowda

Sujatha

I live in Los Angeles, you can send me private message when i am online.
I will exchange my email id and contact Phone numbers. I have done some Analysis but i don't have hands on experience since My Dad is taking care of execution of our Project. I was trying to do lot of automation with me research experience in US but Indian environment and mind set of labour is totally different and task are very challengy. We had quite bad experience in initial days after few lesions learned sessions we are getting back into track.
It is hard to find reliable source for seeds and saplings in India.

Thnx

Gowda

shanmuga06

Intercrop cultivation

Dear gowda,

As per statement that your teak plants are very tender.So best suggestion you never think about intercrop cultivation in teak gardens.if you do it you will lose the entire cultivation.I dnt know what type of teak saplings like stups from seeds or tissue culture saplings you have planted in your land?.If you have planted tissue culture teak saplings its nice .because the growth rate of tissue culture is 10' to 12 ' per year approximately.This type of growth rate will get from seedlings.Better you aviod intercrop cultivation in teak gardens.we are having good quality breed of tissue culture teak saplings right now.

For details please contact us:

A Sivakumar
KARAIKUDI-630001

gowda

Dear Kirthi

Areca Plants have completed 1 year after plantation, progress is looking good, We planted TC Banana as shade crop for Areca, We have already harvested first crop of Banana and Raton is due by end of year. As of Now Areca and Banana are the standing Crop in 20 acres, In Oil palm field we have Watermelon as intercrop for now. We have Marigold and Okra in 5 acres (Okra is not doing well with Marigold compare to stand alone and Intercrop with Banana). Teak planted in roadside and fensing line have grown more than 10 feet in year(Plants are purchased from Karnataka Forest department Not TC Lab)

Spacing

Areca 9 X 9
Banana as intercrop in Areca 6X6 and 6 X8
Banana stand alone 5 X 6
Oil Palm Diamond shape 30 X 30 (56 plants/acre)
Teak 9 X 12
Water melon in Oil palm as intercrop (4 seeds/Oil palm Pit)

Thnx
Gowda

Last edited:

aromedindia

Intercropping in teak

Dear Sri Gowda
You have initiatiated discussion on a very interesting aspects, and many of knowledgeable members of the forum have given their best possible advice. Intercropping has been of some interest to me, learned a bit of the subject. Majority among us think that intercropping is a system where two or more crops are grown on same piece of land simultaneously. Its true but it is based on certain scientific principles. Vkv-2 has plainly refused to the recommendation of tree intercropping that some one has suggested. Why a crop of same nature that,s less important than teak? Why not teak at a higher density?
Your soil and climatic conditions are suited to several high value crops that others must already be doing. You are looking for a crop that involves less managerial input and labour, which is a costly commodity, today, and bound to cost more in years to come. An important issue of NAREGA is already being discussed concerning the labour input cost in today,s agri. scenario.

In a simple term, if teak and an intercrop have potential to yield 4unit each in monoculture, combining together may give:
1. 1.75+1.75=3.50
2. 3.50+3.50=7
3. 4+3=7
4. 4.25+3=7.25
5. 4+4.25=8.25
6. 4.25+4.25=8.5
Example of 6 are there where both the components benefit each other (complimentary) but its rare, like safed musli + pigeon pea.
Your requirement is like either 3 or 4 where teak should not be affected and some return comes from intercrop which at least you can meet the cultivation expenses of teak.
I am able to suggest some of medicinal and aromatic crops like sarpagandha (Rauvolfia serpentine) and yellow satawari which are 18-30 months crop requiring less managerial and labour inputs. Further, there can be possibility of combining third crop of cow pea which will help in fertility build up and minimize weed competition. There can be many more options in among agri., vege. and other crops for which expert in the concerned field may be able to suggest.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com

gowda

Hi

Thanks a lot for your valuable analysis, Can you please give me more details on market for sarpagandha (Rauvolfia serpentine) and yellow satawari

Thnx
Gowda