Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

suggestions abt dairy cows

Register

Click Here!

sandeepnaru

Hi,
I am Sandeep from visakhapatnam Andhra Pradesh.I have completed my engineering last year.I have been working on Dairy farm project as this is my Dream to start one.
I have 10ac. of land in Visakhapatnam with water and power supply.I have done all my ground work and visited lot a dairy farms in visakhapatnam and in hyderabad too.Im thinking of starting with cross bread HF cows with a yield of 20 lts per day.But a week back i met out local Govt. vet he said that HF cant survive in our region and he has 8 years experienced in our district.
Our area is a coastal area with lot of humidity and temp ranges from 35~44 in the summer and 16~25 in the winter and rainfall in about average.As i am about to start my project in a month,got confused now! Really in search of help.can u please suggest me...

I would be really thankfully if you reply me...

madhuriitd

HF and its issues

The Vet is right. HF requires lot of care and given that the Indian summers are quite hot, pure HF might not be the most suited breed for these conditions. You can target Jersey or HF-cross bred for this region.

sandeepnaru

@madhuri

Thank you for your reply....but,even i asked about the cross bred HF cows not pure HF.our vet said even cross bred HF cant survive...They are very sensitive and easily get ill...even the insemination success rate is less... Is that true...reply me plzzz

srikumargs

Jersey better....

that's a bit true from my experience, bought a crossbreed HF almost a year back, have spend a lot for it, mostly for doctor's, medicines and insemination, finally it got inseminated, but its already dry now, no milk. where as the cross breed jersey is good, gives minimum of 10 lts of milk, less Maintenance and insemination was successful on our second try, so i suggest to go for cross breed jersey, there are crossbreed jerseys gives 10 to 15 lts of milk, even though the production is less you will be having a less maintenance cost and peace of mind of course..

Regards
Srikumar.g

srinivas_cts

Dairy

Hi sadeep, Welcome to Dairy Farming.

Call me for detailed chat on this at

I own a Dairy farm in Tamilnadu. The local Guy has said it correctly, however I can justify, but in a call.

Thanks
Srini M
Sha Dairy Farm.

Hi,
I am Sandeep from visakhapatnam Andhra Pradesh.I have completed my engineering last year.I have been working on Dairy farm project as this is my Dream to start one.
I have 10ac. of land in Visakhapatnam with water and power supply.I have done all my ground work and visited lot a dairy farms in visakhapatnam and in hyderabad too.Im thinking of starting with cross bread HF cows with a yield of 20 lts per day.But a week back i met out local Govt. vet he said that HF cant survive in our region and he has 8 years experienced in our district.
Our area is a coastal area with lot of humidity and temp ranges from 35~44 in the summer and 16~25 in the winter and rainfall in about average.As i am about to start my project in a month,got confused now! Really in search of help.can u please suggest me...

I would be really thankfully if you reply me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Srikumar,
I read that it's good to let your HF & HF cross be totally dry for atleast 60 days before calving. It seems one should not milk 1-2 litres per day. This helps its somatic cells and udder to recoup druing those dry days. Also not give much protein during this time. This process will help the cow to produce more during the next lactation.