Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

suggestion on farming

Register

Click Here!

radhadesai

Hi all,

I am Radha, I have done MBA.

I have a brother who discontinued his 10th and he is interested in Cultivation .

We have almost 6 acers dry land and 4 acers which have water facility.

its in AP, Chittor Dist Kotakonda.

Because of no rain we are not cultivating the dry land . can you please sugest me any thing for this.

Radha

Last edited by a moderator:

shanmuga06

Diversified forestry plantation

Dear sir,

You asked some assistance for cultivation in your 10 acres of land.Kindly plant timber value tree plantations as a long and short term investment.

For more details please contact us.

with regards,
A.sivakumar,
Priya Nursery Garden,
KARAIKUDI-630001,Tamilnadu.
mobile :9843080275
email :priyagar06@yahoo.co.in
web :Home

vsrinivasan

Horticulture

Hello,

I think you are asking suggestion for your brother who discontinued 10th standard. I assume he does't have any farming experience. If yes, my sincere advise is contact AP Department of Horticulture, they must be conducting trainings for farmers. It is better let him gain some training before getting in the business.

Department of Horticulture
Government of Andhra Pradesh
Public Gardens, Hyderabad
Ph.No.:23240124, 23234091, Fax.No.: 23240181

Good luck,
VS

evvinod

Best crops for dry land

I suggest the following.

Suppota, indian goose berry, pomogranate: are well suited for dry lands.
If you take up any of this or mixture of this cultivation and cultivate, crepary plants like, watermelon, pumpkin, ashguard etc will make your dry land fertile and the preserves the humidity for their life span.

In dry lands do not burn out the weeds and harvested waste plants, instead dig small pits and burry them, this will help in observing the humidity and keep the soil wet for a long time.

Regards
Vinod
Bangalore:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

vsrinivasan

In situ compost and Best Farming Method

Hello Radha,

As Mr Vinod said, in situ compost is one of the best method which allows the land keep more organic matter and remain fertile land forever. I consider burning the remainings (biomass) after the season is crime. Keep in mind you land is your only resource, keep your land live first and balance you can either use it for cattle feed or renewable energy, but just dont burn.

Check your water and land quality first before you proceed.

There are so many variety of farming practise are available now for farmers. Do not do conventional flood irrigation method which will be another waste method, because 1) more water will be spend 2) more electricity will be used to pump the water 3) there will be more run off of water and fertilisers 4) pan evaporation will drink some amount 5) may be more wastes which I cant figure out. You may try any one or combination of methods of farming :
1) Drip irrigation - which will apprently change your dry land as one of the cultivable land. Your water source for 4 acre is enough to cater 10 acre drip irrigation.
2) Raised Bed with drip irrigation method - which may be more suitable for your dry land.
3) If you can afford - send your brother training for greenhouse cultivation and go for small area initially.

Choice of plant variety absolutely depends on how you can market that produce in your area, how perishable that produce, how long you can store that produce,etc. all matters for you to decide first.

Good luck,
VS