Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Starting a germination room for large Hydroponic farm.

Register

Should a large farm grow it's own seedlings?

• No, outsource it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure, both have their strengths

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Click Here!

atulkalaskar

Hi Everyone,

Lot of you must be wondering where I have been or like most cases have I burnt myself up trying to chase a dream. Thankfully I am still around and very much chasing the same dream, Commercial Hydroponics in India.

On the verge of setting up a large project for Color Capsicum production near Pune.

Setting up a Hydroponic project is not an easy task and many details need to worked out and frankly tweaking and improving never ends.

To run the large farm efficiently one must have a steady supply of seedlings. Yes one can always buy them from a supplier but that opens you to few challenges such as unpredictable delivery dates and risk of disease. To elaborate if your supplier can not supply you seedlings on the date that you want, your entire planning goes for the toss and having an empty greenhouse is like an unsold hotel room, Revenue lost for that day is lost forever. Similarly to manage the "date" if supplier supplies you with under matured or over matured or less plants then problem still continues. So frankly only an in house nursery can guarantee you the right quality seedlings and that too at right time.

Plants grown in commercial nursery can bring in virus, disease and pests and you will never know whether you had it or was it "delivered"?

So to be in control you must have your own nursery. Nursery production can be divided into two areas. Germination and Nursery.

Lets talk about Germination room for Bell Peppers. We will germinate 15,000 seeds every month.

We must ensure that no matter what is the season, our seeds stay only 30 days in germination chamber and by the time they come out they should have a uniform standard size irrespective of what is the climate outside.

So I would like you all to contribute to this forum by giving your views on how I should be building this unique germination room? As I study your suggestions, I will incorporate those in my design. I expect the germination room to be completed by May 3rd week and I will sow my first 15,000 seeds on 1st June and will bring them out on July 1st.

Tell me about humidity, temperature, light, CO2, Nutrients, Ventilation, Spacing, risks and whatever you feel is important. Of course as i will complete my project, I will be posting the pictures and at the end of the project will list out the costs.

Hopefully this should be an interesting communication eventually benefiting everyone.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Atul Kalaskar

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)