Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

silage making process

Register

Click Here!

arisaran

Hello,
I have been doing silage making test process for past 2 months. But, I didn’t get any positive result on that .

As per below mentioned I have done for silage making test process.

ü Taken Multi cut sorghum variety crop at flowering state.

ü Using cutting machine grasses are cut into small pieces.

ü Added sugar liquid on grasses.

ü Finally dumped into thick box (It is not water proof )

ü Waited 45 days and opened it ,

observed

On Top black color with fungus

On Middle and bottom like hay.

If anybody succeed in silage making kindly please share your ideas with me .

niksnarayana

Hi
Your container needs to be airtight, so if you are saying its not waterproof, meaning air might be entering.
Sprinkle some salt on the top before sealing the silage.
One more input is the top of the silage should be pressed tightly by adding some heavy items, like sand bags etc so that it stays compressed.
Each layer of silage also has to be pressed by walking on it or better by some pressing tool. We have seen that when you dont press properly, the silage pit shrinks upto 2 feet in 45 days that is air gets consumed and it becomes more compressed on its own.

We use the following mixture to add to silage
200 lt Water+ 10 kg Urea + Some old curd/buttermilk + 2 kg jaggery.
This helps in increasing bacterias for silage process.

Inspite of this if it is becoming black, then it will be due to higher moisture in the grass, allow the grass to lose some moisture by cutting and allowing to dry in the field itself.
We are making silage from maize, and we did face similar problems in the beginning, but by adding salt and pressing from top, we have managed to get that under control.
Nikhil

kannaiyan86

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for your valuable information.

I have few doubts in adding mixtures to silage, as you said mixing ration is 200 lt water +10 kg Urea + some old curd+2kg jaggery.

Why do we need add water to Silage pit?
How many kg maize grass should we take for this mixture ratio?
If you have a video on silage making could you please share with us.
I heard some info that salt should not be added into silage, please correct me if i am wrong.
Could you tell me what type of cutting machine are you using for chopping the maize?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
kannaiyan

Last edited:

niksnarayana

Hello

For about 3 tons you should use above quantity.
We generally sprinkle on the maize fodder after it is cut. Just to get coating on the cut fodder.
Urea will improve protien of the silage.
Curd helps by adding additional Lacto bacillus bacteria which aids silage process.
Jaggery acts as sugar which is initial food for the bacteria and helps to multiply.

The quantity of water is very small, and it gets absorbed as part of silage making process. So no need to worry. OF course, if your maize has more moisture, then you would have to increase the concentration of the water and sprinkle less water. Ideal moisture for maize silage is 30%.

No video, you can check on youtube if there is any. Go for indian links as abroad, they use readymade additives.
Salt helps to preserve, absorbs additional moisture that will help in prevention of mold formation.
We use 3 blade 3 HP chaff cutter. The cut pieces should not be more than 1/2 inch - 1 inch size.

Good luck.
Nikhil

kannaiyan86

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you for great support.

if maize is contained 30% of moisture,It looks very dry right? Please correct me if am wrong.
Could you please tell me what kind of silage pit are you using ? i mean silage bag or any other container.

if you don't mind, shall we come and see your silage making process?

Thanks
kannaiyan.

niksnarayana

Silage maize moisture

Hi

The maize after cutting should be squeezed with both hands.
It should form a ball and not fall apart, at the same time should not give water. That is laymans way of checking.
We have built tanks above the ground, 4 feet height.
Pits are difficult to work with, bags are good way to store, but you have to protect from birds and rats.

We are going to make about 20 tons silage in next 4 days starting tommorow, if you want to see first hand, I suggest you come on 5th or 7th.
Our farm is near Mysore, you can call me or send me PM before you come.

Nikhil

One help what is the use of silage for goats whether its alternative for concentrate feed.
Whether Goat will become healthier.
Using Cofs 29 grass we can prepare silage?
Please advise.

Yes its type of Sorghum Grass Variety multi cut .
Thank you very much for your information.

Iam new to the goat farm am learning one by one .Could you please advise how can we reduce the fooder cost and give balanced nutrients.

Regards,

Shrinish Goat Farm

Ravi-9962510053