Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Sales and Marketing of Drumsticks / Moringa

Register

Click Here!

nkjohri

There seems to be several posting around Moringa leaves, seeds and powder but I see very little about selling the actual fruit. The fruit is an important and often expensive part of our (south indian) diet. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience in selling and trading of actual moringa (Drumstick) fruit in the wholesale and retail markets. Any marketing contacts for volume sales would be very helpful as well.

We are based near Madurai and will be glad to connect in person with traders and customers as well.

agri1972

Try Ottanchatthiram

Ottanchaththiram market is well known for moringa trade. You may arrange transportation to sale there. Depending on quantities the merchants will negotiate for direct procurement from farm.

Asyou said selling vegetable is profitable than seed or other forms. Even Rs 20/kg is profitable to moringa farm.

nkjohri

My focus..

My focus is on the sale of the moringa pod. I was just curious that most people posting about Moringa on the forum were interested in marketing the seed, powder or leaves. There were very few inquiries about selling the moringa pod.

It may be because everyone (or almost) is able to sell the pod for Rs20 or more and thus making money. We were a bit challenged since the farm gate sales and brokers were giving us Rs 12 initially - which is not really worth it.

Where can I get location / contact details of the Ottanchatthiram market? I am sure it is worth checking out.

agri1972

After dindigul

Oddanchaththiram locates ~90 kM from Madurai. It is easy to ask somebody and find the market (Ganthi market)
Since many farm gate procurers are not true whole sale merchants they are intermediaries again sell to merchants with transport cost and commission.
Once you landed oddanchththiram you may find commission agents or lot of merchants visit from Kerala, Chennai almost all parts of south india.
The trade will be around 1000 tonnes/day of onions, tomatoes, drumstick, ladies finger, brinjal and chillies, beetroot, cauliflower.
If you visit and make direct agreements with merchants supplying veg to Kerala will be helpful to prevent intermediaries.

nkjohri

Gracias!

This is quite helpful, thanks Agri1972.
We will plan to explore the Oddanchaththiram market. I was able to locate a website for it as well so now I have directions

If anyone on this forum has direct contacts with merchants for drumsticks, please share those details as well.

Last edited by a moderator: