Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Rukmini Farm Akola - Experiments with apple ber saplings

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Experiment with apple ber saplings opens a complete new business at a fruit orchard

Apple Ber is harvested just after 8 months of cultivation, has natural pollination, is disease free and germ resistant variety and most important the selling price is higher than traditional ber fruits. “The plant is thorn free and once planted it yields for more than 25 years. It is recommended to be planted as it gives profitable returns in the first year itself with production 25-30 kg per plant. Subsequently the second year the yield increases to 100-125 kg/plant,” highlights Mr. Pandurang Tatya Asabe, Founder, Rukmini Farm Akola.

Rukmini Farm Akola - Mr.jpg
Mr. Pandurang Tatya Asabe

The farm spreads in 22 acres in Akola (Wasud), Solaour district, Maharashtra. It is a fruit orchard having apple ber, pomegranate, guava, dragon fruit and grapes grown in 6 acre, 7 acre, 2 acre 2.5 acre and 5 acre respectively. All fruits are sold in New Delhi and Mumbai market through the traders. However, Mr. Pandurang Asabe is more known for his best quality apple ber saplings that he develops at his own farm.

“By chance in 2008, I happened to travel to Bangladesh to attend one agri exhibition and visited one Apple Ber Farm. The fruit instantly drew my attention for its taste and appearance. Hence on my return I was travelling back with the 10 saplings for experiment sourced from West Bengal but I knew I had to explore immensely on this amazing fruit,” Mr. Pandurang Asabe shares his first introduction to the fruit and commitment to promote it in his state and neighbouring states.

Speaking of farming requisites he says, “There is no special requirement of soil preparation for growing these saplings as I develop them with utmost care through grafting method. It takes 3 months to prepare the planting grafts in a ploy house. These are usually 1.5-2 feet high.” It can be planted round the year except February, March and April months. Ideally most suitable time to transplant the graft is December to January. “Reason being the pruning will be done in month of June then the plant would yield superior quality fruits in December-January. I suggest farmers to do pruning once in year and take only one harvest because the health of the plant is restored and production is better. Without pruning farmers can take two harvests a year but it is not good for the plant and fruit quality shall also deteriorate.”
Rukmini Farm Akola - Apple Ber Grafts.jpg

Apple Ber is grown in 2-2.5 feet deep pit keeping line-line distance as 12 feet while plant-plant 10 feet. In one acre 330 grafts are transplanted. Within eight months from cultivation the plant takes up the height of 3.5-4 feet and starts fruiting. Irrigation must be done with drip. The plant responds very well to organic farming inputs. On an average each fruit weighs 50-125 gm. It looks and tastes like an apple with only difference in colour as green. It has the shelf life of more than 2 weeks.

Pre-orders are always preferred however Mr. Pandurang Asabe keeps the stock of 10-20 thousands grafts ready to sale in stock. The grafts are sold at Rs. 35/plant. “Every year we sell around 3 lakh apple ber saplings. The success rate of my grafts is more than 90%,” he adds.

In future he wants to expand his farming acreage as well as apple ber cultivation nationally. “In addition I want to explore some new fruits in my farm having good medicinal value. Farming is profitable than any other profession. It will give good income if the farmers invest their time and energy with 100% commitment and sincerity,” he signs off.

Contact details:

Rukmini Farm Akola

Mr. Pandurang Tatya Asabe

Akola (Wasud) , Taluka – Sangola, District - Solapur , Maharashtra , India - 413307.

Mobile : +09763758008 , 09763036255

Email: rahulasabe11@gmail.com

Web: http://www.rukminifarmakola.com/

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)