Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Red sandal plantation process

Register

Click Here!

ajay_kum

Hi,

I am planing to cultivate red sandal.
Could you please provide the below details.

1) What kind of land is required for red sandal plantation.
2) one acre land total how many plants can be farming.
3) What is the distance required from plant to plant.
Please provide dimensions from plant to plant.
4) How frequent and what quantity of water is required for each plant.
5)What is the best process for providing water.

Thanks & Regards,
Ajay

kirti s

Hello Sir

The crop can be raised through seeds by raising nursery in sunken and raised beds are used to raise seedlings. Both of them perform equally well under different climatic conditions.

Seed beds are prepared with sand and red earth in the ratio 3:1.
Around 2.5 Kg. seed is spread uniformly over the bed, covered with straw, which should be removed when the leaves start appearing on the seedlings.

When seedling have reached 4 to 6 leaf stage they are transplanted to poly bags along with a seed of “Red gram” (Cajanus cajan), the primary host for better growth of sandal. Seedlings are carefully removed from beds with all roots immediately after transplantation.
Watering is to be done once a day, but excess moisture is to be avoided.
Host plants are pruned frequently, so that they do not over grow sandal and hamper its growth.
Polybags should contain soil mixture of ratio 2:1:1 (Sand: Red earth: Farmyard manure). It as been found that poly bags of 30 X 14 cm size are the best.

Plantable seedlings of about 30cm height can be raised in 6-8 months’ time. A well-branched seedling with a brown stem is ideal for planting in the field.

Planting 6-8 months ready plants directly will reduce the total crop duration, minimizes the risk of raising nursery and assured quality planting material are added advantages.

Digging pit size of 2’X2’X2’ filled with 1:2 ratio of red earth and farmyard manure watering for settling down the mixture.
Placing the healthy seedling of sandal in the center by digging the small pit ensured that all the root systems are placed properly in the pit so that the tender roots will establish quickly.
Planting the host plant in the pit 6” apart from the sandal plant.

SPACING & PLANT POPULATION:
Pits should be dugged with a spacing of 12’X12’ = 303 plants per one Acre.
This is optimum for better plant population and yield. Plant population of at least 300 plants per Acre to be maintained.

8.0 tones of farmyard manure will be sufficient per one acre of sandal crop per year, chemical fertilizers required initially depending on soil fertility status.

Regular weeding and inter cultivation to be done to prevent soil moisture and nutrient loss. Inter crops are preferred for additional income and best land utilization and soil management.

It is also advisable to go for a inter crop which ensures inter cultivation and additional income to the farmer. Intercrops like Coleus forskolii, Banaba leaves and other short duration crops preferred. Short duration crops have shallow root system, that will not going to compete for water and nutrients with main crop.

Sandal is a rain fed crop. Young plants require watering in summer months at 15-20 days interval till they are fully established.

Plants should be protected from physical damage, controlling white ants which is major problem in red soils, spray of 2% chloropyriphos on white ant attacked portion of shoot and near around the tree trunk will check the white ant effect.

Sandal tree yields two kinds of wood sapwood and heart wood and yield from inter crops.

jdgroup

Dear Mr Ajay

Red Sandal exports has been Ban from Indian Government.
Forest Department is not providing permission for Red Sandal Tree cutting.

As there is no clarity we suggest to plant White Sandal instead of Red Sandal.

Export & Import relations between India-Pakistan-China are not so great & we cannot expect the healthy relation in coming years.China is the apex buyer for Red Sandal.

Do not listen to people who make marketing of Red Sandal.

All the best.

editorialteam

Hi,

I am planing to cultivate red sandal.
Could you please provide the below details.

1) What kind of land is required for red sandal plantation.
2) one acre land total how many plants can be farming.
3) What is the distance required from plant to plant.
Please provide dimensions from plant to plant.
4) How frequent and what quantity of water is required for each plant.
5)What is the best process for providing water.

Thanks & Regards,
Ajay
Answers to your questions -

1) What kind of land is required for red sandal plantation?

Rich red soil is required.

2) In one acre of land totally how many plants can be grown?

It depends up on the spacing. Up to 400 plants can be grown. But sandal needs a host plant in between, and so spacing will alter.

3) What is the distance required between plants? Please provide dimensions from plant to plant.

There should be a distance of 12 X 12 between plants.

4) How frequent and what quantity of water is required for each plant?

Water 10 liter/plant/two days has to be provided.

5) What is the best process for providing water?

Drip irrigation is the best process.

Replied by -
Mr. Venkatesh T, Director
Vanasiri Agro Forestry Consultancy Pvt Ltd
Web: VANASIRI : Agro Forestry Consultancy Private Limited

editorialteam

Dear Mr Ajay

Red Sandal exports has been Ban from Indian Government.
Forest Department is not providing permission for Red Sandal Tree cutting.

As there is no clarity we suggest to plant White Sandal instead of Red Sandal.

Export & Import relations between India-Pakistan-China are not so great & we cannot expect the healthy relation in coming years.China is the apex buyer for Red Sandal.

Do not listen to people who make marketing of Red Sandal.

All the best.
Red Sandal export has been banned by the Indian Government - No, we have to give to MSIL, and they provide buy back agreement.

"Forest Department is not providing permission for Red Sandal Tree cutting' - It is incorrect statement.

For sales of sandalwood - Sandal wood can’t be sold to anyone, expect the license holder and can be given to MSIL for which they provide us the buyback agreement.

Replied by -

dnimma

Hi Ajay,
In February I planted around 12 acres of red sandal. And in few weeks, I am planning to plant another 5 acres. Based on my experience(good and bad) here are the answers.

1) Other than black soil and salty soil, any soil is good for Red Sandal wood plantation.

2) The optimum spacing is 10'X10' for the middle rows. I have left around 13' in the borders so that the Tractor can move in properly. With this spacing you can plant around 400 plants per acre.

3)I have answered in the 2). I repeat you can plant around 400 plants per acre depending on its shape.

4)Red sandal is very rigid. It can sustain the dry circumstances. It can sustain in hot summer, if you give 5-6 litres water every 2 weeks. In my case, we had sufficient water. So we have given around 16 litres of water every third day.

5. The best way to provide water is through drip irrigation. It is labor intesive, if you plant to give water with canals.

Other points to remember:

1. Please don't spend too much money on making pits. Plough the soil properly and use shovels to plant the trees.

2. Don't spend money on manor. It is lot of expense and attract all kinds of weed and disease. For the beginning, don't use manor. (I know many people will dispute this point)

3. Don't spend money on urea/dap etc..... But while planting use some forate granules to avoid the white ants and other insects.

4. The red sandal is NOT root parasite. So host plants are NOT required.

Please don't spend too much money in the begining. Weed is the main problem and you have to fight with weeding for the first 2-3 years.

praveenkumbam

Red Sandal export has been banned by the Indian Government - No, we have to give to MSIL, and they provide buy back agreement.

"Forest Department is not providing permission for Red Sandal Tree cutting' - It is incorrect statement.

For sales of sandalwood - Sandal wood can’t be sold to anyone, expect the license holder and can be given to MSIL for which they provide us the buyback agreement.

Replied by -
What is MSIL? Can you please explain more about this

ysnrt12

Dear sir,
i have a few doubts about red sandal cultivation
1)is it necessary to water red sandal plants in moths October to February?? mine is a rain fed area, i have planted in aug 2014 they are only a month old
2)what are the type of host plant required please name a few
3)what are the natural fertilizers that can be used for these plants

chinnam

what is MSIL?

Dear sir,
i have a few doubts about red sandal cultivation
1)is it necessary to water red sandal plants in moths October to February?? mine is a rain fed area, i have planted in aug 2014 they are only a month old
2)what are the type of host plant required please name a few
3)what are the natural fertilizers that can be used for these plants
=========================================================
HELLO friends what is MSIL to get permission to sold out red sanders? we want to know this urgently, we have stocks right now. right information will be appreciated.

chinnam

gpr279

Hi,

Can you please tell me a rough estimate on the initial investment which is required for red sandal plantation?

How much we need to spend on a yearly basis for maintenance of Farm which may include Security, different pesticides, and others.

I heard that there will be a threat to the red sandal farm owners or to their family members from red sandal Smugglers?? Is this true? Is it safe to plant red sandal?

Can you please let me know few places in Andhra Pradesh or Karnataka where good quality of red sandal can be grown.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

morthala

need information on red sandalwood and sandal wood licensing and permissions

Sir

Can any one please respond to my query below

1. Do we need any license required from State \ Central Government before (or) after planting the Red Sandal (or) Sri Gandham?

2. What is the best way to purchase the red sandal and Sri Gandham i.e is from Private Nursery or Government Nursery?

3. How can we get the information about "Government approved to planting the RedSandal Wood and Sandal Wood in Patta lands"?

4. How can we get the subsidiry from Government after planting these?

Can you please respond above 4 queries. We are yet in initial state for collecting all these kind of details.

rajpar007

Planting red and white sandal together

Good day
i have had experience to grow sandal wood, white plants from seeds in karachi, pakistan and am planning to gorw on lands as forest as well in interior sindh.

What i need expert opinion is that Does a red sandalwood tree has capacity/ minerals to work as a host for white sandal wood, please reply

naveenkrbr

Red sanders are endemic to cuddapah geological formation. RS grown outside this cuddapah soils don't grow heartwood and are meant for only fuel wood. Many tried to grow and failed. Do not grow reds anders outside cuddapah soils.

naveenkrbr

Don't plant redsanders if your land is outside cuddapah formation. It is endemic species and grow only on cuddapah sedimentary quartize soils.

daveson

sir, I`m planning to cultivate Red sandal, Kindly please can you tell me the processing of Red sandal seeds from the beginning to germinating period?

gani67

Sir Please can u give me details and process to planting red sandal In my own land to 4 acres. I need red sandal plants .

Last edited by a moderator:

garao56

Dear sirs,

1.Do we need any license required from State \ Central Government before (or) after planting the Red Sandal (or) Sri Gandham?

No licensing procedure stipulated by the Government. Since illegal felling of sandal wood is taking place Government is controlling the same and auctioning the logs now and then. Marketing of Red sandars is is difficult at present , except using it for furniture etc. For sandal wood there is no restriction for selling the heart wood.

2. What is the best way to purchase the red sandal and Sri Gandham i.e is from Private Nursery or Government Nursery?

Private nurseries / some farmers are also maintaining good quality saplings

3. How can we get the information about "Government approved to planting the RedSandal Wood and Sandal Wood in Patta lands"?

No such advertisement is noticed so far.

4. How can we get the subsidy from Government after planting these?
At present there is no subsidy from Government, 10 years back there was proposal from NMPB but not populaised.

Last edited by a moderator: