Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Question for people with tropical farming experience? How much land is needed to feed a family of 4?

Register

Click Here!

vincentmi

I live in Ecuador. Our family is planning buying a small rural property and growing our own food. I have a small outside income so I don’t need to feed my family of 4 and produce crops to sell. I only need to cover our food needs and trade a few items with neighbors for things we can’t or don’t want to raise. We are looking at elevations ranging from sub-tropical high elevation to tropical humid. All of the areas we are looking are within 200 km of the equator.
My wife thinks we can manage on a very small piece of land, less than 1000 sq meters. I think we realistically need between 1 to 3 hectares. I figured there might be some knowledgeable people here that could help educate us. I know there are many factors, primarily what we plan to raise. That of course depends on what sort of land we end up with, but ideally plantain, banana, citrus crops, papaya, mango, avocado, corn, variety of heat resistant vegetables, possibly tilapia and hens for eggs.

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)