Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Pure HF /breed HF- Milk or Ghee which is better

Register

Click Here!

rmathews

Dear Members,

As shared earlier, in process to start small diary farm with 5 cows and then gradually increase to 100 in rural kerala, just thinking that instead of selling milk to coop societies why can't convert milk to pure desi ghee which is in fact fetch good value, and have better shelf life too.

one doubt whether HF milk which has low fat would be viable for converting to Ghee.. what is the technology to convert milk to Ghee directly or should it fermantied/or to make butter milk 1st?

inviting inputs valuable inputs whether selling fresh milk or converting to byproducts better and its marketing aspects compare to selling fresh milk...

rgds

Last edited by a moderator:

sri2012

Why don you think of Murrah Buffaloes. It is good for butter and ghee production.

You will need a brand to sell ghee,Containers,Lables,License to produce food product, need a distribution network.

You need to have better cash flow management, because you will have to give credit for months for retailers.
They will give you back unsold product.

ALL THE POINTS MUST BE TAKEN AS RISKS. If you have a mitigation plan. Just Go ahead.

I have a suggestion. Prepare khova and make tie-up with sweet shops. Keep credit period less than 1week. Khova is in high demand now a days.

In case of ghee you will have buttermilk as by-product.

Let us call milk production as Part A and Ghee production as B. My question is will you have suffcient time to manage A and B both?
Many will get tierd to manage A.

You will have to decide on effort v/s benifit for Part A alone and Part A+B

devaki

Why don you think of Murrah Buffaloes. It is good for butter and ghee production.

You will need a brand to sell ghee,Containers,Lables,License to produce food product, need a distribution network.

You need to have better cash flow management, because you will have to give credit for months for retailers.
They will give you back unsold product.

ALL THE POINTS MUST BE TAKEN AS RISKS. If you have a mitigation plan. Just Go ahead.

I have a suggestion. Prepare khova and make tie-up with sweet shops. Keep credit period less than 1week. Khova is in high demand now a days.

In case of ghee you will have buttermilk as by-product.

Let us call milk production as Part A and Ghee production as B. My question is will you have suffcient time to manage A and B both?
Many will get tierd to manage A.

You will have to decide on effort v/s benifit for Part A alone and Part A+B
Please note that there are risks involved in every business. the risk of selling products on credit is very high. Do the same selling of products in a different way, that is selling high quality product. If your product is in good demand no trader will ask for credit. why a trader ask for credit period ? He cannot afford to keep a paid up stock in the shelf for a long time. Here comes the advantage of quality product which never stays in the shelf. If your product moves fast and generate profit for the trader the trader will certainly ask your products against payment in full in advance. If you go to a shop and look around you will understand this truth.

rmathews

good insight

devaki

good insight. i was thinking whether selling milk or pure ghee is better. in Kerala there is sevior shortage for milk and i think milk is better for cash management too. Hope I can moved out from my corporate web and really start my diary farm project by april 13. so basic ground works started .... and hope atleast 35-40k can generate monthly from this project ....

rgds
mathew

amson

think 100 times and study about farming.then you decide about dairy milk or by product ? because u r in kerala.

rmathews

thanks

thanks for inputs.

however surprised to see that members put Kearal as high alert destination for starting Diary farming like agri activities ?......

request please help to identify potential risks.... in starting min diary farm iwth 5-10 cows HF

rgds
mathew

sri2012

Mathew,

It is the Labour factor which you have to look into. One of my friend met with a family of labours from Odisha, They were working for some construction company.

He discussed with them, He gave them a house and a monthly salary and medical insurance.
They are happily working. He is paying 8K for the man and 5 K for the lady. They are working verywell.
In this case he was very lucky.

I wish you also get a family like this.

Mr.Mathew,
I agree with Mr.Krishnan. Selling Fresh Milk (directly to the end consumer) will be the best option you can choose. Atleast initially.

Let us consider you are starting with 10 cows. At any given time, 2 cows will be dry. From the remaining 8 cows, your milk production will be a maximum of 120 Ltrs, if all the factors like housing, feed, climate, etc .., are good. This is not a big volume taking into consideration the shortage of Fresh Milk Suppliers and people's preference for quality milk in Kerala (As per various articles I read online).

You decide whether your buyer should be Institutional or Individual. Under Institutional, you can supply to either hotels, sweet shops or hostels. Individually, you select 2-3 apartments where 50+ families are residing in single building, arrange a meeting with them on a sunday, explain your activities, understand their requirement, design a system, get their order and start supplying.

With the volume of milk you get daily, in either case, hardly 2-3 places should be enough. This will also decrease the logistics.

Advantages I see for you are ..... Being a highly educated guy and in corporate world, people can get easily convinced and turn to be your customers. Disadvantage can be the daily transportation part, if your farm is very far from the selling points. But, I believe that can be worked out.

All the Best,
Prakash.

rmathews

Dear Sri

thanks lot for the concern on production part. Its a wonderful idea and can easily worked because we all know Hindi and I thinks any labors from any outside state would be comfortable in Hindi communication. once again thanking you for this wonder full idea.

Dear Prakasji,

You have a given bright idea in marketing aspects. I think, can work it out. Barbecue kalathil padi - Kottayam town as well as palai town is just 16 km in two sides from my location and easily reachable in 35-40mnts. also there are several institutions, hospitals within 15 kms so I do not think marketing to direct customer will not be a big issue. in anyways least but not last Malanadu (coope soc) is also available for door pick up

Dear Muralicheta,

As usual your overall assessment in the project is always inspirational. You are the one of the best person shares maximum inputs on diary farm on this forum as well as various other forums and always inspire members to venture in diary farming, I understand the threat of manpower issue. regarding the case of gulf person I think it may be due to absent of direct and involved management. in my case I will be there part and parcel of the project and even with a mind set up that in case of labour issue do things/manage directly also. am ready to put my hands in dung......! and in my child hood have done like that also.. I remember some 12 years back some trade union people made problem to unload bricks at my place and since I can not tolerate such non sense, and arrogance of labours, I personally unloaded with the support of my remain family members. so the spirit not let down before challenges still firing. So confident and believe that God will not allow to let me down on this turning point of life.

my intention to start diary farm with 5-10cows is to generate at least 25-35k per month immediately after settlement and increase 100heards once experienced small farming in short span of time.

thanking you all the respected members to contribute on this thread...

rgds
mathew

Last edited:

deepakmenon82

dairy farming

Dear Mathews,

milk by product can get you more income than supplying milk straight , you can produce ghee and try to supply to the hotels near by your place, before you start your ghee production go and talk the owners of the restaurant that you can supply good quality ghee.i am telling you this because i already spoken to the restaurant owners near by my place, they are ready to take , make it weekly payment, i am buying cream separator from Mr.murali of sree vinayaka Agency.you can separate cream from 150 litre milk in an hour.buffaloes are the best to produce cream,ghee,curd because the fat content is high, get murrah buffaloes from rotak hariyana , if u need i will give you the contact details of the person who sell murrah buffaloes .i am starting my farm in palakkad next year.
Regards

Dear Members,

As shared earlier, in process to start small diary farm with 5 cows and then gradually increase to 100 in rural kerala, just thinking that instead of selling milk to coop societies why can't convert milk to pure desi ghee which is in fact fetch good value, and have better shelf life too.

one doubt whether HF milk which has low fat would be viable for converting to Ghee.. what is the technology to convert milk to Ghee directly or should it fermantied/or to make butter milk 1st?

inviting inputs valuable inputs whether selling fresh milk or converting to byproducts better and its marketing aspects compare to selling fresh milk...

rgds

Last edited by a moderator: