Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question pomegranate developing more male flowers and less female flowers

Register

Click Here!

dgore2929

Dear Sir,

I have about 840 pomegranate trees in my farm. Each tree developing 90 % male folwers and only 10% female flowers.

Please suggest any treatment / sprays to develope Female flowers.

Thanks and Regards,
Datta

manojsinghchandel

Pomegranate trees are self-fruitful, which means the flowers on the pomegranate are both male and female. Pollinating insects and hummingbirds assist in spreading the pollen from flower to flower. You can even help too, by using a small brush and lightly brushing from bloom to bloom. Male pomegranate flowers fall off naturally as do un-fertilized female blooms, while fertilized female flowers remain to become fruit. Plant Growth Regulators like ethrel and maleic hydrazide induced more hermaphrodite and fewer male flowers. Optimizing cultural conditions may be a means to promote the development of greater numbers of bisexual flowers with high vigor to obtain maximum fruit set and yield.

kaka 1981

what and when do I spray in pomogranate to increase female flower in pomogranate.also suggest fertilizer and its feeding time

Hi, I did not understand how to control male flowers by seeing above suggestion. Can you please explain clearly if you understand. We are also having same issue. Thanks, Kranthi.

garao56

Keep your organic contents high by giving organic manures at least twice a year. Give one micronutrient spray ZnSO4@0.3%, MnSO4@0.6%, Boric Acid (17% B)@0.25% or Solubor (20% B) @ 0.25% before flower and bud initiation i.e. 15-20 days after defoliation when new flush of leaves emerge. NAA may be given as directed in answer to Q19.If required. GA3 may be sprayed @25ppm (25mg/l) at flower bud initiation stage.

Last edited by a moderator: