Planting bamboo on boundary

Register

hirenbose

I'm a hobby farmer. I have an acre plot in which I have planted 100 fruit bearing trees. just wanted to know is it advisable to plant bamboo on the boundary of plot in order to create a screen for my plot. will it anyway affect the growth of my trees. which bamboo do you advise, if yes.

Ashwini

Hi

You can use bamboos as a fence in home gardens. Running or monopodial bamboos are used. Running or monopodial bamboos spread by underground rhizomes and can cover great distances. Since they are all connected as one plant, it can become impossible to kill off. However the rhizomes grow at a depth of only 2 - 18 inches and can be contained with 2 - 2 1/2' plastic edging buried around the circumference of the plant. Any cracks or seams in the edging will allow rhizomes to get through. Most of the temperate bamboos are runners. Phyllostachys nigra 'Black Bamboo' New culms start out green and turn black in the sun. This is one of the variety i Know. Only take care that it is not affected by pests as these pests may even harm your plantation.

Regards
Ashwini

hirenbose

Planting bamboo as fence

Dear Ashwini
Thanks for your valuable information. taking consideration of the info provided by you i have decided not to put bamboo saplings on my boundary.thanks again.
hiren