Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Planning to move to full time farmer

Register

Click Here!

vivekjha3

Hi ! I have been working in the corporate sector holding various positions and profiles for past 8 years. I currently am in Gurgaon. For last few months, I have been thinking about moving into agriculture as a full time professions. After a lot of ifs and buts, I finally have made up my mind to get started with it. However, since this is going to be a totally new experience, I wanted to seek clarification on a few more questions and gather information around them before I buy an agriculture land. request you all to please help me with these -

1. I know the laws and norms vary state to state when it comes to land sale/buying. Can anyone help me find information on which states one is eligible to buy agricultural land for? My am specifically interested in Orissa, Andhra Pradesh and Haryana.
2. What should be the estimated plot size one should aim at if we plan to do the farming for an year round sustainable income? In the range of 5-7 Lakhs per annum to start with?
3. What other factors should be considered before making a decision to buy a agriculture plot?

Looking forward to the responses. Thanks in advance.

sachingoud

hi,i was in same situation last year .but now i sucessfully compleated one year in farming all the best.if u r intrested in buying land in ap u can contact me.my neighbour is willing to sell his land with 4 servent quarters,3bores with plenty of water,drippirrigation system,fencing & they r growing vegitables right now on pandal which is very highly profitable.site is locatednear shadnagar which is after 30km from shamshabad international airport.mail me

Last edited by a moderator:

antony_pratap

Well i would agree with Mr.Gyan.

For Starter its best that you source some lease land where labour is not a big constrain and at more closer to some big town.

Ensure you have the lease for a min of 3-4 yrs and min of 10 acres

Since you are a starter, go for an integrated farm, plan out daily income monthly income and an income when you are to drive out from that land.

Have few cows- not high profound cows just cows which may yield 10-12ltrs max per day(less hassle), which will help in daily income and some manure for your land. Get small quantity of goats and country chicken, they thrive on the farm residues.

Try your hands on medicinal crops provided you get a buy back guarantee since that is something which is not so prone to disease and theft. or go in for crops like beans, soybean or grams where you can store them and sell them when you find a genuine buyer so you are not at a loss.

Plants some ecualyptus clone or melia dubia in the border so you can harvest them at 4 years and make a decent return on them. melia dubia leaves can be fed to goats.

This way you will get hold of what is farming in about a year's time partially and then decide if you want to switch for good, i know people who have moved and failed too.

Also getting 10 acres of land with plug and play facilities near any town is a lot of money but lease should not cost you more than 5-15K per acre/year in most places.

once comfortable source some place or if you have enough money apart from the start up, buy smaller place somewhere so you can sell it for a better price when you want to buy a bigger place and you are ready to be a commercial farmer.

All the best!

Regards,
Antony

emufarm

Medicinal

Medicinal farming is the best option currently. As you can get a low cost land and also there are lot of subsidies for it. Find some good consultant in the area where you are looking, so that you can select land accordingly as also get more gauranteed returns on your investment of time and money.

Best Of Luck.
Suhas Savant

sgour

let me hv details pls

pls send details of land and tantive price , u can mail me

hi,i was in same situation last year .but now i sucessfully compleated one year in farming all the best.if u r intrested in buying land in ap u can contact me.my neighbour is willing to sell his land with 4 servent quarters,3bores with plenty of water,drippirrigation system,fencing & they r growing vegitables right now on pandal which is very highly profitable.site is locatednear shadnagar which is after 30km from shamshabad international airport.mail me

Last edited by a moderator:

vivekjha3

Thank you all for the thoughts. I agree that I need a more hands-on experience before I get into the investment of buying the land for myself. I definitely like the idea of starting with a leased property. Thanks for the great suggestions.
Also, can someone guide me on some courses/study materials that I can take on so I have a few basics cleared before I actually move to the field?