Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

People in age 15 to 34 are national asset

Register

Click Here!

SWAMY1807

India is fortunate that over half of its total population of 1.2 billion are under the age group of 30.

“A high percentage of youth in the age group of 26 to 35 years are presently in the country who can undertake work on agriculture production increase, processing in value added products and marketing of various products if their potential is tapped properly,” says Dr. V. Rajagopal, Founder, Hunger Elimination and You (HEY) movement, Tirupati, formerly Director, Central Plantations and Crops Research Institute (CPCRI), Kasaragod, Kerala.

Dr. Rajagopal recently presented a paper at the M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF), Chennai on 'Role of youth in agriculture and combating hunger’.

Having a sizable population of youth - over 45 per cent of the total in the age group of 15 to 34 years - is a national asset. This needs to be exploited for various productive nation building activities, he argues.

Rural population

“The rural youth population, both male and female, is higher than the urban population,” he says.

For instance, the total rural youth population is 296.2 million (153.2 million male and 143.9 million female) as against 130.9 million urban youth population (69.5 million male and 61.4 million female. (Source: Indian population fund- 2008).

“The potential areas to utilize youngsters are: agriculture production, processing and marketing, a comprehensive survey on poverty levels in rural and urban areas, data base on the extent of hunger among the poor and enumeration of malnourished child population,” he explains.

Common belief

Against a common belief that agriculture is not remunerative for youngsters’ opportunities for educated, unemployed and also uneducated youth, men and women, exist in the sector and today agri-business is gaining momentum, according to him.

“The farm sector remained non-remunerative, risky and not so attractive as long as farmers followed old practices and mono crop system, but after the advent of good agriculture practices involving a range of measures like multi crop system, diversification, value addition to harvested produce, enabled by income generating technologies — the scenario today presents a better face of reformation and development,” he explains.

The synergy between traditional technologies and information pathways provides a wider scope to revitalize agriculture sector.

“Agri business, is an emerging field for the youth to avail the excellent opportunities to take up farm related ventures. Many progressive farmers who adopted latest technologies experience less risk than before and reap the benefits of training imparted to them,” he explains.

Need to be trained

About 60 per cent of youth need to be trained — to undertake work on poverty and hunger among poor villagers. The educated and unemployed youth can then undertake survey in rural areas, villages in detail to identify the target group of people --- economically poor back ground and struggling for food and drinking water. Volunteers must form groups to visit the villages

The youth seva sanghs or clubs already in existance in some Universities need to be strengthened. Some youth in Puducherry are doing such activities successfully.

Presence

“The presence of so many private companies in agriculture shows that this is a good money generating field. If youth can properly utilise this area, then they can become self reliant and sustainable,” he says.

“On my part I am willing to guide any youth, movement, or groups if they approach me as to how it should be done,” he says.

Those interested can contact Dr.V.Rajagopal, Founder, Hunger Elimination and You movement, Tirupati,
Regards.
SWAMY

Last edited by a moderator:

sargam08

educational note

hai its very educated note sir. Everyone should be read it. I am the son of punjabi farmer. I wants to do organic farming , horticulture and dairy farming in punjab and assam. I have post graduate degree .I related with media field. I wants to contact and meet your organisation. pls send me detail.
darshan singh

Last edited by a moderator:

jr_prasad

Dear Sir,
I am basically from a Agriculture family working on IT industry in chennai.our friends are planning to start a Organic Farming and retail but we are not having proper guidence to initiate if you Provide a guidance it's a great pleasure for us...
Prasad