Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Organic Anantha - Successfully brings drop in supply chain levels to improve farmers' income

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Successfully brings drop in supply chain levels to improve farmers' income

Farmers are happy as they are earning much more like never before! They are enthusiastic to change their age-long farming procedures because they are confident they will be paid well. The transformation is taking place across many villages in Ananthapura district, Andhra Pradesh. Who is behind this positive change? Is it Government? Answer is 'No'. It is the effort of Organic Anantha, Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh based social group formed by the like-minded professionals from different industry. Either these people are passionate about farming or they understand the plight of a farmer with respect to production and marketing because they belong to the farmers' family.
Mr. Parthasardhi Nara.jpg
Mr. Parthasardhi Nara

The major milestones Organic Anantha has attained in short span of time are sale of 70 tons vegetables, fruits and groceries in different urban cities in six months, direct sales contact with 500 individual end-consumers and developed network of 60 bulk buyers with 30 retailers, 10 gated communities, 5 wholesalers and processors. All agricultural commodities sold under the brand name 'Oragnic Anantha' are absolutely chemical free considering health of farmers and consumers. "We are able to create huge demand of these products. We can sell 10 tons of fruits, vegetables, millets and pulses every week if supply is available. Many farmers are keen to associate with us seeing the contended existing farmers in our network," adds Mr. Parthasardhi Nara, one of the founder members.

Mr. Parthasaradhi has experienced extreme ups and downs in agriculture as he belongs to a farming family. "My grandfather practiced natural farming while my father took up chemical based farming. We were an affluent family but lost it all since 1990 when chemicals penetrated in our farmland. We once again started practicing natural farming methods and got very good result. My family manages the farm full time while I used to assist on weekends as I was working with IT company Accenture. We were able to get the breakthrough in production but were deceived badly in marketing. I thought even being post graduate I was duped then what happens to less-educated farmers! Hence I resigned from my job and took up the responsibility to sell farmers produce in cities and ensure they get paid well as deserved," he describes the drive to set Organic Anantha. "In the meantime I also came in touch with other professionals like myself who wanted to bring a positive change in the life of farmers. So we all joined hands together and now work as a team."
Mr. Parthasardhi Nara participating in BIOFACH event in Delhi.jpg

To begin with market was analyzed to understand the demand and supply ratio of organic food. To mobilize the people to consume healthy food regular updates were made on social media. "We also started interacting with the consumers and B2B clients for the natural food products. The awareness created helped in enhancing the demand. To provide the customers with the farm produce we also required consistent supply hence the farmers' groups were formed at district level in Andhra Pradesh. We are registering Farmer Producer’s organization (FPO) to educate ,connect and activate farmers on organic farming in Anantapur district. They started growing the foods in alliance with the demand without using the chemical based fertilizer," he elaborates.

Farmers are given the technical know-how and financial assistance on growing food with natural farming procedures. After harvesting, the farm produce is collected and sold by Organic Anantha and farmers are paid directly in their bank accounts. "We work voluntarily so were able to win the trust of people both producers and consumers. There are more than 100 farmers in our network and number is growing consistently," he asserts.
Collection center in the village.jpg

The platform of buying and selling organic products is created. "Now we plan to direct all the processing, packaging and value added activities in the village itself. It shall be creating more employment and there shall be no need for the farmers' family to send their children to cities for clerical jobs. They will be able to earn well in the village staying with the family," highlights Mr. Parthasaradhi.

All the products are priced reasonable in par with the inorganic produce flooded in the market. "We are able to maintain affordable pricing because the many layers between producer and consumer are reduced. Further we are creating packs of small weights because then only it shall be beneficial to all," he states.

Stating future plans he says, "We want to bring technology in rural India. The production is increasing but we need proper training for storage, water treatment and value addition technique. We want rural youth to study these technologies, get the expertise and share it with others. Through this only we will be able to grow substantially."

Agriculture needs to be revitalized into a profitable, dignified and enjoyable venture for the farmers then only it is possible to feed the forever increasing population. The industry provides many opportunities be in production, processing or marketing. Farmers need guidance and assistance to make farming economically viable occupation. "We are constantly working to attain this mission and so far the success received has given us immense confidence to proceed with our action plan. The time has come to cut down the many levels in the supply chain of agricultural commodities between the farmer and end consumer. We are sure the future is prospective," signs off Mr. Parthasaradhi.

Contact details:
Organic Anantha
Parthasaradhi Nara
Uppanesinapalli Village, Chigicherla Post,Dharmavaram Mandal, Anantapur District,
Andhra Pradesh - 515672
Mobile: +91 9663367934
Email: partha@organicanantha.com
Web: http://organicanantha.com