Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Open Discussion - What do you feel about investing in Agriculture ?

Register

Click Here!

Investment: Agri business?

Tell me any other productive business other than Agriculture where 1 unit(seed) multiplies in million units(fruits). If Agriculture is run in a Professional manner controlling all the variables,it should generate money.
True. However, people have misconception that buying land and growing crops/or growing them better and efficiently with safe measures in place is the only way to prospects in agri investments. These are the avenues but not the only ones when it comes to agribusiness. They feel they are stuck until some land comes by and they can leave their profession and move on to farming at that time......ambitious plan but lot of variables are involved here!

As much as everything so far debated here on this forum reads true by well meaning people, I would like to draw you as investors/prospective and aspiring investors to look at a bigger picture when it comes to investing in Agriculture. Land is not the only thing to fix your eyes onto. You could be bettering infrastructure: electricity/water/irrigation system, equipment, harvesters, refiners, separators, pesticide applicators, green biotechnology labs to produce less toxic products which are safe to use, can improve farmers lot! Healthy farmer means a lot to the land, open health clinics in these rural areas are needed as well. Everyrhing takes money and better conditions for farming people will keep them in villages and their younger educated generations in the villages to better the future of our land.

So you see while your money is hungry to find a path to prospects and profits see a big picure not a limited one. Sky is the limit what you can be investing into now in rural agriculture to make it a business/NGO or own that land if available. So why waste time while the land will come when you find suitable to your needs (location, capabilities, and availability)----- do not let your dreams and money sit idle. Sitting thought and money moves no where but to junk meanwhile we grow in years and priorities shift.

At some point you are left with no land, no proper way that you could have channelled your resources to harvest better yield to do other good things. What you gain at that point is regret/remorse and such. Present value of money declines if found no use for it at a proper time. Time is of essence.

I thought I am making a point for people who are young have better future and can think globally while working locally to benefit home and its people at large (communities) wherever.

Let me know what you think and if anyone wants to set up a proposal. banks are ready to loan for right projects that are well presented. All you need to do is ask yourself questions such as:

1. What do I want and when--- how much for my investment today and what is the best alternative if I just did nothing with that money....will I be happy: richer/poorer if I did not invest at all?

2. What are my resources, what is my expert help, readiness, and skill strength? Besides how can I develop, buy or partner with people to get there?

3. What is my time line to see the product of myinvestment: are you still happy trying and failing or you are not sure?

4. What kind of communicative strength you have to liaison with governmental agencies and setting up a contract with consultants and do you trust them?

5. Is your family ready for the sacrifices that you may have to make in time commitment/travel or you would have it assign to your consultants.?

6. Is there someone who can draw up a good consulting contract for you. Goals/objectives and due diligence etc.

7. Am I ready for failure and gain strength from it, be satisfied that I did try or will I have no stomach to absorb losses at some point.

Let me know what you think? A thought to ponder on!

Good luck to all future investors.

Ramney Koul Ph.D, MBA

Investing in agriculture: a quest/dream/livelihood?

Well- As I read through the querry and the responses, it makes me wonder why some of us have forgotten to acknowledge that our aspirations are somehow tied to our past even though we have and will be leaping forward.
Any professional who thinks agriculture and its associated businesses would be a short term investment with hafty returns is confusing it with daytrader's objective.

A proper plan, well thought out project, well communicated plan to receive funding from banks/investors is the first and foremost criteria to judge if one is actually ready to indulge in a long term commitment. Profits will follow once the heart has followed the quest with dedication and proper planning. I am glad folks are at least talking about it.

Great way to move forward----challenge is how to channel efforts in the right direction and not be distracted by temporary setbacks. Every investment is a labor of love for resources which ultimately benefit others as we move on. In agricultural business particularly that spread of wealth can be immense as we deal with nature and satisfy many souls not only our own.

I close with a thought:
" Zarre-zarre mai mitti ki khushbu thi, mai dhool samajh ker rondta raha ;
Aur bhool gaya yeh ghar ki deewaren bhi hoe sakti thi.
Palak jhapak ker jana ki inn zarron koe paani ki zarrorat thi;
Mehakna toe door sona bhi ugal sakti thi woh meri zarron ki dhool"

Sort of Hemingway's----road not taken. So folks don't just sit there and stack your dreams. Failure and success are only parts of same quest. Do not give up. May God be with you who aspire to do something positive in agribusiness. Opportunities in todays world are immense when we consider energy/conservation/environment, and greening of economy. Soon people will be happy with less becaiuse the labor involve was less of a dog-eat-dog mentality. It is literally living with a cause and a mission. Go for it.

Let me know how can I help if need be.

Ramney Koul, Ph.D, MBA

Last edited:

gunda

agriculture

yes, but who should bell the cat?
if all these people unite together take some land and work together with trust and devotion, agriculture can never be a failure. will everyone unite if at all?

vickymalvi

HI

Hi All,

its been a month since this discussion was started - Not seen much replies in this - does this mean that we are really not serious about the investment in agriculture ?

Thanks
Rohit

I am interesting in farming. I am working in MNC getting some knowledge in Organic Farming and will start soon.

Guys, help me with ideas about organic Farming.

Vikram

harirao123

Rohit

Hi Rohit,

Thank you for posting your comment on upcoming agriculture activity from IT guys.
Here i need to explain my personal comments on agriculture.

I think all the people who are surfing this website is Computer savy, and all are almost having little bit or more knowledge on agriculture. Thanx for using such a website to share our taughts.

Coming to my Life! Basically i belongs to Agriculture family, While i am into Graduation / Post Graduation, i am very eager to work on Agriculture due to my family problems.

I worked as a Farmer for almost 5 years with around 20 Acers of land(From 1997-2002), I used to cultivate Rice, Cotton, Wheat, Maize and also Vegetables for daily expenditure we need to pay labour. At that time i am very much satisfied as i will think i am working for my self not for others.

If i compare that life and this life its totally difference...

Now i am working As a Software Engineer. But for me i am not satisfied with my work. In job i am not a Leader, i need to fear of others, some one will assigns work to me then i need to complete that work on time. If i am a farmer then i am the leader over there. I need to respect to seniors in my job profile, but if i am working in my village then i will be happy to share some work to labours.

The main reason for me to swap from Agriculture to IT industry is, at that time there are no rain fails in Andhra pradesh, Even though for me in Agriculture i havent went loss, But if i do the same now i can earn more than 5 lakhs per annum. My mind is totally diverting to do Agriculture but i am little bit worried now because of labour in my village.

I will be into this Stupid Software Field for another 3 years, as i am planning to cultivate Fruits like Mangoes / Oranges in my fields, with Drip Irrigation facility. Process has been initiated for planting Mangoes, it will be done in another 6 months.

Thanks,
Hari.
Please contact....

Last edited by a moderator:

kalyanma

Future is agriculture only. No Farm no Food.

My Dear Friend Rohit ,
Thank you, i like your th
oughts, Since i am also from agri background and i am mechanical enginneres and i am 15 yeras working in industries , now i am also looking and my mind is totally going to agri / farming , max may be 3 to 5 years , until i set my agri project.Can you give me any suggestions,
please contact........
Thank you,
Kalyan , Karnataka.

essa4us

MNC's AND OTHER WHO WANT TO START FARMING

Dear co -members,

we can start agri business in group, still in remote places there are land at low price and start organised, organic farming.

But the main thing is trust and faith we can start small company as share holders buy farm land and
start farming with the help of local farmers. No need we all go and do farming with our hand.

For local farmers if we build primary and secondary school, hospital, solar lights in huts and other normal daily life services. We can get there full support.

Means our product and land will be safe from thieves.

Many times in remote villages they steal away crops, agriculture equipments, some time in envoy put fire on our plantation after this looses we say if thief would have come to us we would have paid him.

But i say if we pay first like investing in school, hospital and solar lights this local villagers not only respect us but also will worship the organisation.

Any person interested please p.m or hot mail me.

We can start organic revolution.

Thanks and regards
abbas

arumughams

Hi Abbas,

I am interested. For past 5 years I am in search of land. The process is becoming
extremely difficult. Honesty and trust in the people has gone very low in buying
and selling land property(especially agri land). So many intermediate brokers/agents
are just spoiling business for their own interests. In most cases just spoting the
right owner of the land itself is becoming difficult. With this unsecure reality,
not sure how one will put in money even if one is really interested to do something
good in agriculture. Apart from that you yourself has mention about the risk caused
by the neighbours.

So unless otherwise we all will do it as movement, it is not going to work.

With regards
A.Saravanan

saandy1984

Watever u hav quoted r right n threatening cause i hav choosed the same now.

Wat u think about "doin right things" n "doin things right".

IT r Agri may not always b a right thing for everybody, everytime. But doin things right in ur desired field ll always get u self satisfaction n keep-up ur self esteem, even though ur not earnin gud money. (Hold-on, Before sayin tat i wish to say tat, if our money earnin doesnt matter much to our dependants r holy society, then v can hold gud at it).

ashokjakhar

hi,
i think this time is very good time for agriculture bussines we can spend low money and get own bussines and this is very importent that the farmer shoud be educated ..
i have done MBA, LL.b, B.sc in science and now i am a farmer..

essa4us

DEAR MR A.Saravanan AND OTHER CO MEMBERS

THANKS FOR YOUR KIND AND PROMPT REPLIES,

I HAVE CHECKED MANY MANY PLACES MY SELF BUT AS ALL SAYS EXAMPLE IN 7/12 THERE IS 1 NAME MR XYZ. BUT HOW WE CAN KNOW THIS IS THE TRUE PERSON OWNER OF SAID LAND BY THE FACE. ANY PERSON CAN COME AND SAY I AM MR XYZ. OR I HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY TO SELL THE SAID LAND. AND AFTER SOME YEARS REAL OWNERS KIDS AND GRAND KIDS APPEAR AND CLAIM THE LAND.

SO I HAVE SHORTLISTED 1 AND ONLY 1 RELIGION "PARSI" WHOSE PAPER WORKS, TITLE AND OTHER PAPERS ARE ALWAYS CLEAR.

EVEN I AM DAWOODI BOHRA MUSLIM BUT I STUDIED ALL RELIGION PERSONS I GOT PARSI AS FINAL GENUINE PERSONS NO DOUT THERE MUST BE 1 OR 2 EXCEPTION IN PARSIS ALSO.

PLEASE NOT I AM NOT JUDGING ANY SPECIAL CASTE OR RELIGION THIS FACTS YOU CAN CROSS EXAMINE. I AM SORRY TO OTHER RELIGIONS BELIVERS.

SO IN GUJARAT THERE ARE MANY AGRI LAND OWNERS PARSI's, THERE LAND PRICE IS LITTLE HIGHER THEN THERE NEIGHBOURS LAND, BUT IT IS PEACE OF MIND AND SECURITY OF MONEY TO BUY FROM PARSIS.

IN FEW DAYS I WILL BECOME PAID MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE, THEN I WILL SEND YOU MY ADDRESS AND E MAIL AND PHONE NUMBERS SO IT WILL BE EASY TO MEET AND FINALISE LANDS AND START SMALL ORGANIC REVOLUTION. PLEASE MIND NOT GREEN REVOLUTION IT HAS BEEN ALREADY STARTED BY MNC'S WHO ARE SELLING CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS AND FOOLING FARMERS.

PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE Home VERY VERY KNOWLEDGABLE. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT MY WEBSITE.

OUR AGRICULTURE GROUP WILL FOLLOW YOGA GURU BABA RAMDEV, MR PALEKAR AND OTHER ORGANIC FARMER GURUS PATH.

MAINLY MAHATMA GHANDIJI'S PATH SWADESHI.

REGARDS
ABBAS

meghakw

Its good that awakening of the next generation is creating a huge potential for green projects. Also the governement is providing usefule schemes which is not percolating to the really needed farmers.

Of course, it will look easy to the eyes of the city dwellers, but before you guys put your hands in, it is necessary to be in the shoes of the farmer and understand the intricate details of the crops and methods of growign them using the old techniques of organic farming. If you are ready to put your hands in the work of being a real farmer as you do towards completing your projects in IT with timelines and dedication, so can you get the same output. First of all need to be patient and also aware of the ways to handle a crisis of manpower shortage if there is to handle a big farm.

Good luck to all of you who have showed enthusiasm and dont let this enthusiasm die with time.....joining hands for green revolution and India needs this very badly withe increase in population and food prices becoming dearer.

We must focus on stopping barren lands being converted by real estates owners to plots for building houses and promote teak cultivation , bamboo cultivation, and making drip irrigation becomign feasible for commons to be utilised in their lands.

I am interested in promoting this concept as I too am agriculturist.

moulirada

Ignoring many difficulties in Agriculture

You are right so many enthusiastic educated people are trying to do experiments in agriculture but really they are not aware of the few facts without resolving them we could not move ahead.

1.Marketing our products.Unlike any other industry Agri industry investors or farmers are not in a position to set the Rate for their products.

Some brockers control the Price which are produced by farmers(Investors)
This is where they are being deceived this trend is more visible from last 15 years.As long as the farmers cannot have their own supply chain they wont see the profits.

2.Availability of Labour to work in Fields is becoming huge hurdle for the enthuastic farmers.Mechanization is still commercially feasible as the equipment cost is very high complared to the returns we have to depend highly on manual labour which is very difficult all over the country.

3.Indirectly governments try to give as less as possible for agriculture products so that there is no protest from public regarding high price of commodities.
Like this we have so many hurdles to prosper in this field.

dhanyaa

I am very much elated about the fact that more and more young and educated are trying their hands in agriculture unlike a few years back, when even a farmers son never wanted to get into this aged old system of occupation. But the scenario is changing and yong and highly educated folk look it as a better career option with good income and least pressure of targets.
with this we can expect a good and improved future of agriculture, with educated entrepreneurs in the profession and giving it a complete new look and willing to adaptability to the new technology and techniques enabling good and improved produce.

we just need to encourage and bring more confidence amongst these motivated groups.

nbala

is aGRICULTURE PROFITABLE? OR AN ESCAPE TO SANITY?

DEAR ROHIT,

All THE POINTS RAISED BY U ARE TRUE. BUT THE FACT IS THESE NEW GEN AGRI ENTREPRENEURS ARE ILL EQUIPPED TO TAKE IT UP PROFESSIONALLY. THERE ARE VARIOUS VARIABLE AND INDETERMINABLE PARAMETERS WHICH AFFECT AGRICULTURE AND ITS PRODUCTIVITY AND THUS PROFITABILITY. SOME ARE AS FOLLOWS: MONSOON AND ITS VAGARIES, UNAVAILABILITY OF GROUND WATER, LACK OF QUALITY LAND AND WATER., LACK OF POWER IN QUALITY, IE PROPER VOLTAGE AND TIME, LACK OF LABOUR, AND LASTLY LACK OF PROPER PRICE.

iS THERE A SOLUTION?

yES ABSENTEE FARMERS ARE GOING TO LOSE A LOT. THOSE PRESENT ON LOCATION WILL SURVIVE. PROVIDED THEY GO IN FOR ORGANIC FARMING. AND IT WILL TAKE TIME SAY OVER 5 YEARS AND MAX 10 YEARS TO GET GOOD YIELD AND RETURNS. SINCE I HAVE TRAVELLED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND HAD INTERACTION WITH ALL TYPES OF FARMERS. THIS OPINION IS BASED ON OVER 39 YEARS EXPERIENCE. ONLY WAY IS TO BE PROFESSIONAL AND GO IN FOR WATER SAVING TECHNIQUES AND BE PRESENT IN THE FARM. ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS.

elizabethpaul

I do agree with your points. Presently I am in middle East working all six days. But deep in my heart I love to do some agribased project jointly with my sister who is settled in the village.There is no gain without pain and I beleive in scientific management and proper planning can bring good results and it also gives the mental satisfaction & self confidence.

Regards,
Elizabeth.

jitendraknigam

Agribusiness now a days more lucarative..........

Yes, I do almost agrree with your points. Now a days agiculture becoming faishan, business and means of relax. All these are mainly due to future food war with incresing population and food prices. If u want healthy food for yourself and your faimly do agriculture, to get heigh retrun-do agriculture, to get fresh air do agri/transplant Tree. Those who are breathing O2, they should definetly produce it otherwise pay compansation for the same to the society.
If any one intrested to do agri/invest in agri with small comp. with big or small amount with good and assured return, contact please .....
Regards,
Dr J K Nigam

Hyderabad

shanmuga06

Hi friends,

Really I am very happy & interacted by your comments.Yes really one day everything will be materialised.Becasue everybody thinking about agriculture ?.In India we are having plenty of resources while comparing with other countries.We are having much area for doing any kind of cultivation.But all the people will think about tree planting.First up all we will make our nation as green.Because our member Elizsabeth wants to see the nation as green with her sister.So everybody will think and act the Elisabeth activity .Please everybody will plant tree on their birthdays ,marriage day & childrens birthdays.I request the youngsters please present tree seedlings/saplings in their marriage occasions.If anybody have faith on horoscope kindly plant tree on their birth day with their birth stars.

Thank you
A Sivakumar,
Priya Nursery Garden,
Karaikudi-630001,TN
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

nkjohri

Please contact

I am an environmental, agri business consultant and I think you have just hit the right nail in the head by waking up all those who are shunning away from facing the truth........No land, no growth, no awareness no sustainabilty. We have killed agriculture, we have been wasting water or neglecting environment to be gifted in loads of poverty, diseases that affect the most vulnerable amongst us

Please continue doing what you are doing and let me know if I could be of assistance in promoting your cause.

Ramney Koul
AgriEnvt Green Business Consultant
New Delhi
India

Dear Dr Koul,

I was wondering if you have any interest in promoting collective agriculture practices. I believe we are at a tipping point in India where there are enough people who have the will and ability to invest in agriculture as a alternative life style. Could you please provide your contact details via PM?

Thanks..
Nakul