Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Need suggestions teak or sandal plantation

Register

Click Here!

sanshitha

Hi
We have 1.5 acer land in Kaleshwaram,
So we are planning to teak or sandal or etc plantation
Please provide good suggestions
If I go with teak
how many types are available?
And good teak ?
and future demand?

Last edited by a moderator:

garao56

Dear sri Sanshitha,

Under wild conditions teak and sandal wood produce timber and heart wood in 40 to 50 years. Under irrigated conditions also sandal wood take 25 - 30 years for getting 25 Kg heart wood . Teak also take 25-30 years for getting good timber quality. Please go for any fruit crops like custard apple, mango, sweet orange, lime or taiwan gua in 1.50 acres and in the inter space go for sandal wood with drip system. On the border take up teak plantation. Suppose you take Taiwan gua you will get Rs. 1.5 Lakhs income from second year onwards and continue till 15 to 20 years . After 25-30 Years you can cut the sandal wood and teak and get considerable income. Please think of. If heart wood is not formed properly income will be a few thousands only if harvested before 25 -30 years. Similarly , lime or sweet orange can also be planted as supporting plants to sandal wood trees. Thus please plan for continuous income on the land

rmashetty

It depends on your priority. Can you wait without yearly income? Do you want to hold for 25 years or 10 years?

We have done the following.

On the border, we put Teak. There are two broad types of Teak. We put Tissue Culture teak but some have put regular teak.

In the middle, we partitioned land into three portions. First portion has Sandal + Custard Apple. Second portion has Sandal + Casuarina. I am yet to plant in section 3.

My objective was to bring diversity and reduce pest risk into farming.

I have had bad experience with Taiwan Jama, which is pro to lot of diseases. If I were you, I wouldn't go.

Please feel free to call me if you like to get more information.

vasudh

Kindly Don't go for Sandal/ Red Sandal / Agar Wood . If any body needs reasons for my suggestion. Please Contact

Dear sri Sanshitha,

Under wild conditions teak and sandal wood produce timber and heart wood in 40 to 50 years. Under irrigated conditions also sandal wood take 25 - 30 years for getting 25 Kg heart wood . Teak also take 25-30 years for getting good timber quality. Please go for any fruit crops like custard apple, mango, sweet orange, lime or taiwan gua in 1.50 acres and in the inter space go for sandal wood with drip system. On the border take up teak plantation. Suppose you take Taiwan gua you will get Rs. 1.5 Lakhs income from second year onwards and continue till 15 to 20 years . After 25-30 Years you can cut the sandal wood and teak and get considerable income. Please think of. If heart wood is not formed properly income will be a few thousands only if harvested before 25 -30 years. Similarly , lime or sweet orange can also be planted as supporting plants to sandal wood trees. Thus please plan for continuous income on the land
Excellent idea.

Excellent idea. In between all the plants and trees, turmeric and / or ginger can be planted for quick income. To get good profit, kindly avoid chemicals (pesticides and fertilisers).

vasudh

Thank you all we are suggesting you to go far any Forest Plantation "*Except SANDAL WOOD & RED SANDAL*" For short Duration Harvesting at any time between 4 Yrs to 10 Years. Remaining all the other Plantations requires a minimum of 20 YEARS. If any body needs a detailed Report we will provide

garao56

For 4 to 10 years growth period farmers are taking up cultivation of casurina, Eucalyptus and subabul etc , but there is no demand from paper mills and also for fire wood. Farmers are suffering losses at present.

garao56

Mr Sanshitha, please take up sandal wood with a mix fruit crops such as sweet orange , guava or custard apple so that you will be able to get continuous income till the sandal wood is harvested . Besides fruit plants , plant sesbania (Avisa ) plants for better host plant support.