Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Need guidance for replacing Mango Trees in my farm (100 kms fm Bangalore in Krishnagiri Dist, TN)

Register

Click Here!

shankar61

Dear Members, my farm (100 kms from Bangalore in Krishnagiri Dist, TN) has almost 220 Totapari mango trees that are about 7 years old. They are yielding well. However, they are not at all commercially viable and with a heavy heart, I plan to cut them down and replace most of them with other more viable trees including Guava, Pomegranate, Lemon, Moringa, etc. Can any of the Seniors of the Forum guide me go about it in the best way.
I am also looking to hire a tractor with auger to drill pits for planting the trees. I believe this is the quickest and easiest way. I have one person quoting Rs 200 per pit (3×3). I feel it is very high. Can any Member advise me on this? Looking forward to your positive inputs. Cheers..SS

shankar61

T
You can graft other mango varieties in the same plant if you are thinking of mango itself.
Thank you for your response Sir. I am planning to expertinent with High Density plantation of Mangoes and Guava in this Bit of land. So grafting may not be of use to me. Thanks for your suggestion all the same.

greenlandfns

Dear Members, my farm (100 kms from Bangalore in Krishnagiri Dist, TN) has almost 220 Totapari mango trees that are about 7 years old. They are yielding well. However, they are not at all commercially viable and with a heavy heart, I plan to cut them down and replace most of them with other more viable trees including Guava, Pomegranate, Lemon, Moringa, etc. Can any of the Seniors of the Forum guide me go about it in the best way.
I am also looking to hire a tractor with auger to drill pits for planting the trees. I believe this is the quickest and easiest way. I have one person quoting Rs 200 per pit (3×3). I feel it is very high. Can any Member advise me on this? Looking forward to your positive inputs. Cheers..SS
Dear Shankar,
Seems you are trying to do a suicidal act by cutting the 7 year old trees. Even without cutting the Mango trees, you can do many high value crops (multi crops) along with the existing mango trees, and it can be done with certain companion crops that will also increase mango yield, and there are other organic methods to increase yield. If you are ready for the minimum investment required, approximately Rs 2-3 lakh per acre including infrastructure like water supply (borewell or open well etc), we can assure around Rs. 5-10 Lakh income per acre through multi crop farming with our consultancy support (Concept to Completion Consultancy Services: C2CS), starting from crop planning, planting material supply to marketing of products. Income can generated within 60-90 days also if the land is suitable for such crops and many that can be done under the shade of the mongo trees. Please see our diverse posts in this site about High Value Crops farming and related matters. Search: Well-Known Member: greenlandfns. If interested to take our consultancy service, please mail us your farm details and contact details to E: greenlandfns@gmail.com

shankar61

Thanks for your point of view..
I have my own ideas as to what should be done there. It may be different from yours, but is not as suicidal as you think. While I plan to cut down about 200 trees, I also plan to plant more than three times that number, and additionally 1 acre exclusively dedicated to Fruit tree Permaculture. Thanks for your concern and input.

shankar61

I am sure many of the Members would be aware of the Miyawaki Method of Planting. There is a lovely example of it in Bangalore, and I have the YouTube link of a video on it. Please view, enjoy and replicate the Forest if possible. Thanks.