Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Natural Rubber

Register

Click Here!

axia

I have a Natural Rubber Plantation, and i am interested if you can help me to find out what can i plant under a rubber tree plantation. Our plantation is 13 years old and i am looking to maximaze our territory space. thaks

lingam5

Intercropping

The shade loving plants or legume ground covers can be planted in the rubber garden.
Mucuna pruriens cultivated variety can be planted during june - aug , it will grow profusely and produce bunches of fruits, the seeds are like bean seeds. It can be sold in the market. Around 250 kg seeds can be produced from one acre and the price per kg is around Rs. 50.The aerial part is a good manure for the rubber. The seeds are available with Indian institute of Horticulture research,Hessaraghatta, Bangalore.
Other plants like kalmegh, Centella asiatica, Turmeric, Alpinia galanga can be grown.

Last edited:

manojsinghchandel

hi

Hi

You can grow most of the intercrops during initial years of rubber plantation (3-4 years), after that due to shade it's difficult to grow crops as there will be more and more shade. But there are some shade tolerant medicinal plants like Strobilanthus haenianus (‘Karimkurinji’), Adathoda vasica (‘Valiya Adalodakam’) and Plumbago rosea (‘Chuvanna Koduveli’) etc that you can grow.

Regds

lingam5

Inter cropping/Hedge crop

Dear friends vasaka is a tall shrub it can be grown only in the hedges. It is a perennial crop kept for several years. The vasaka leaves can be collected periodically dried and sold. There is considerable demand for vasaka leaf. It is used in cough syrup, asthma and as a sex hormone regulator. This summer season is suitable for harvest of vaska leaves. Drying will happen faster.

Plumbago (Chitrak mool) is a shade loving plant, its root is used in the drug. It needs at least 2 years for better development.Chitrak mool root will cause skin irritation . It should be handled carefully. Both Vasaka and Chithrak mool can be propagated using stem cuttings.

Last edited: