Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Nagla Radhy Farms - Experiments to grow potato and sweet corn simultaneously

Register

Click Here!

shwethasvmg

Experiments to grow potato and sweet corn simultaneously in the same field

Potato is grown underground while sweet corn is cultivated on the top soil surface in a village in Firozabad district, Uttar Pradesh. Usually in the region when the temperatures drops the potato crop gets damaged due to the dew (called oss in Hindi). With sweet corn being grown on the top surface it shall absorb the dew hence potato would be safeguarded. This technique also saves the production expenses on water and fertilizer! This experiment is initiated by a progressive farmer, Mr. Lokesh Kumar. “Sweet corn is an additional income for me as prior to working on this experiment every year around the same period I always cultivated only potato. After harvesting potato I shall be growing tomatoes in the same soil bed,” he informs.
Lokesh Kumar.jpg
Mr. Lokesh Kumar

First and foremost deep ploughing is done on the farmland and beds are prepared for potato tuber sowing. “I choose to grow Kufri Bahar potato variety in my farm. Tuber sowing is done on 22nd October. Immediately six days later on the sides (in center) of the potato bed sweet corn seeds are sown manually. The soil of the bed is very placid therefore it is easy to push the seed 2-3 inches deep manually,” he shares. Commonly sweet corn is grown keeping plant-plant distance of 15 inches but when grown with potato the distance is increased to 25 inches.

Potato is manually harvested in February and after 3-4 days tomato saplings are planted in the same bed. “By then sweet corn plant attains good height to give the protection to tomato saplings. Sweet corn is harvested in May while tomato in month of June. Tomato plants needs support for growing up hence we tie it to the stick,” explains Mr. Lokesh Kumar. “To grow tomato in February we have started developing the plants in the nursery.”
Sweet Corn plants on edges of potato bed.jpg
Sweet Corn plants on edges of potato bed

When asked in this technique labour cost is more as after planting potato tuber everything has to be done manually, Mr. Lokesh Kumar clarifies, “Labour cost is more but it is re-earned with good profits. Generally sweet corn is available in the market after June month however through this method it shall be ready for sale in May month hence shall fetch higher price to be the first crop of the season. Secondly as the soil has three crops cultivated namely potato, sweet corn, tomato production is more and expenses are less.”
Potato and sweet corn grown simultaneously.jpg
Potato and sweet corn grown simultaneously

Potato cultivated along with sweet corn gives higher yield. Sharing the statistics he reveals, “I will give figures for one acre. 13 quintal tuber produces 130 quintal potato, 5 kg seeds give 40 quintal sweet corn and 60 gram seeds yield 50 quintal tomatoes.” The crops are claimed to be resistant to disease and pest attack as it is grown in winter season. “As a preventive measure we spray neem oil on the crops. Further it all takes care of one another.”

Speaking on precautions and important farming requisites he says, “On time irrigation and fertilizer application in the soil is very crucial as two crops are growing at the same time. Soil testing is mandatory as well in order to know what nutrients are required by the soil and crop to be grown. The farming inputs needs to be applied accordingly to get good quality and quantity of the produce.”

In coming months Mr. Lokesh Kumar aspires to continue with his experiments of growing different crops. He shares, “In our region in February and March maize is cultivated widely. I want to intercrop it with vegetables namely ladies finger, bottle gourd and ridge gourd. The last two being creeper will grow well with sweet corn as the water requirements shall be balanced amongst these crops naturally. Besides it shall be helpful in coping with raised temperature.”

He concludes, “Farming is meant exclusively for people having enthusiasm and aptitude for doing something different yet challenging. Nature is kind and favours all the new permutation and combinations in growing food if the work is done in accordance to it!”

Contact details:

Nagla Radhy Farms

Village – Nagla Radhy, P.O. Sirsaganj, District Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh – 283151

Mobile: 09457026748

Email: lokeshkumarsirsaganj@gmail.com

Last edited:

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)