Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Thiruvengadam - Improves annual income with farm integration

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Improves annual income with farm integration and staying aware on government schemes and plans

“Agriculture is profitable when farmer thinks differently and diversifies based on his strength. Infact I strongly feel farming is the only venture that gives many income generating verticals. Just like any other profession it needs out of box thinking to attain success,” says Mr. Thiruvengadam, progressive farmer who increased his family annual income by four folds through adopting different elements to his farming endeavor. He hails from Kamsalapuram village, Kanchipuram district, Tamil Nadu.
thiruvengadam-1.jpg
Mr. Thiruvengadam

Family of Mr. Thiruvengadam was from many years engaged in paddy farming. There were absolutely no profits and financial crisis would never end. “Therefore it was mandatory for me to bring the change. Initially it was very difficult to convince the seniors but I had to do it. I first took training on preparing the nursery plants from National Agro Foundation (AGF). I learnt in detail about grafting and other intricacies,” he shares. Later, on experiment basis he started preparing the seedling. “It required lot of patience but I managed it and finally seedlings were ready for sale. In between I also attended many technical training programs that helped me largely. Further instant guidance was available from AGF. Mostly I prepare flowers, fruits, herbs and forest plants.”

Next change was to reduce acreage of paddy cultivation and make space for vegetable cultivation. “Paddy needs lot of water and is more susceptible to pests. It is almost impossible to earn good profits with paddy with these problems. It is a constant threat! Thus I started growing seasonal vegetables,” he states. It has been proved multi-cropping is profitable for farmers but as it is said ‘seeing is believing’, fellow farmers also started growing vegetables observing Mr. Thiruvengadam. Slowly entire village became part of this change and the vegetables were produced in bulk quantity. “It attracted traders to our village. We were also ready to sell the veggies from the farm gate as it saves time and money. It was convenient too. However, we told traders that vegetables will be sold at price fixed by us and not what they quote. We checked the market prices and collectively decided the selling price of our produce.” The deal was cracked and a vehicle comes from Koyambedu on scheduled days at the fixed location in the village to procure the vegetables. In addition vegetables are also sold at five retail outlets in different cities. These outlets are managed by Kamsalapuram village farmers club. It is supported by Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Kattupakkam.
thiruvengadam nursery.jpg

Mr. Thiruvengadam gained lot of confidence with the changes he made in his farming module. He wanted to be a complete source for farming needs, “So I started preparing vermicompost manure from the farm waste. The manure is sold within the village as well as in other villages. It became a decent add-on income for me,” he asserts.

To fight water scarcity he decided to use every drop of water carefully. To do so he made a rainwater harvesting pond in the farm and started rearing edible fishes in the pond. “Fishing is no expense for me at all as the fish feed is managed in-house. Further the pond water is nutrient rich because of fish waste. The water is used for irrigating the farmland through drip system. The production has increased. Fishes are sold in local market,” he elaborates.

Lastly Mr. Thiruvengadam strongly feels there are different schemes on agriculture started by state and central government but, “We farmers are not aware about it. Of course it is challenging to find complete details on the scheme as regional agricultural departments are closed most of the time but still it is worth taking pains to search for right information. I try to take advantage of these agri schemes and subsidy programs as it is possible. It not only saves money but even adds to my agriculture income,” he asserts.

Mr. Thiruvengadam has no formal education but he thinks just like an entrepreneur. “I am happy I didn’t get into a job else would have not learnt new things and expand by farming activities. Agriculture is far more satisfying and rewarding than any other occupation if done enthusiastically and keeping the vision broad,” he signs off.

Contact details:
Mr. Thiruvengadam
Kamsalapuram village, Madhurantakkam Block, Kanchipuram district, Tamil Nadu
Mobile: 09843729166