Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Poornanand Venkatesh Bhat - Invents method to identify gender of nutmeg seedling and produces h

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Invents method to identify gender of nutmeg seedling and produces high-yielding plants. Also specializes in pepper and turmeric cultivation

To know if nutmeg saplings would yield fruit or not can be known only after 5 years from plantation! It is the long waiting period and high risk venture for farmers! Further, nutmeg being mostly dioecious crop it is tedious for the growers to separate male and female seedlings. Even agricultural experts are helpless. However, Mr. Poornanand Venkatesh Bhat, a contractor-turned-farmer (by choice) has developed a unique technique through which he can reveal the gender at the seedling stage itself. It is referred as sexual dimorphism in nutmeg, a tree spice grown for its nut and the reddish aril (mace). “I also invented a method to develop unisexual plants in nutmeg therefore all the saplings plants would flower and yield the fruit,” he adds. Mr. Bhat hails from Ankola, Uttara Kannada district, Karnataka.
unnamed (1).jpg
Mr. Poornanand Venkatesh Bhat

Mr. Bhat also has the credit of developing four new varieties of nutmeg and planting 2,500 nutmeg trees for seedling purpose. “All the nutmeg saplings I develop are female and unisexual. Every sapling post four years, flowers and produce the fruits. The unisexual saplings have both male and female flowers. Every male flower pollinates 150 female flowers. Hence multiplication of the saplings is much faster!” he claims. In addition he also crafted exclusive techniques for harvesting and separation of fully matured nuts, washing, blanching, drying, storage, processing, grading, storing and value addition.
unnamed.jpg

Pepper is also area of expertise for Mr. Bhat. He used to produce 55 quintals pepper annually. Speaking about pepper he highlights, “I have devised a technique through which I can produce white pepper from the bean without using any machine or chemicals. It is a very simple yet extremely effective method.” In turmeric cultivation he has produced 20 tonnes turmeric in one acre. It is a remarkable achievement that drew attention of many farmers.

All innovations had been done by Mr. Bhat due to his immense passion for farming. He had turned the wasteland into flourishing green farm with his sheer determination. His first farm was 22 acres and second farm 19 acres. However, now both the lands are lost to the Government land acquisition process to develop the naval base. He is disheartened but not broken, “The first farm was lost to the Government for developing the Seabird naval base so I developed second farm. Now I have lost the second farm as well to the same group. Unfortunately I have been paid very less amount for the same. Yield of the plant was also very high at that time! It is devastating to be honored for all the inventions I have done in farming by making me landless. Now if someone supports me with 50 acres farmland I am confident to develop a hi-tech agriculture farm even at this age of 65 because people can take away my land but not my expertise!” he signs off!

Contact details-

Mr. Poornanand Venkatesh Bhat

5th cross, Opposite Veer Vithal Math, Mathakeri, Ankola - 581314, Uttar Kannada District, State Karnataka.

Phone : 08388-292199, 09448066998

Email : siddhinath.bhat86@gmail.com

Last edited:

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)