Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. P. David Raja Beula - Invents solar powered drought fighter to ease out irrigation

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Invents solar powered drought fighter to ease out irrigation for rain-fed farmers

Every drop of water is precious! It must be utilized wisely to the core. During drought, irrigation is done through water tankers as groundwater is nil. “When irrigating through truck/tractor if water is directly sprayed using a hose pipe, only a small area can be covered. In order to spray water like rain, he designed a solar sprayer. It has a powerful water gun. "It can be adjusted with respect to distance and diameter of the water to be sprayed,” says Mr. P.David Raja Beula. The solar powered drought fighter consists of a suction hose, a delivery hose, a spray gun and a solar panel that needs to be connected to a pump.
David 1.jpg
Mr. P.David Raja Beula

The solar sprayer has a long hose of 50metres. The sprayer is connected to a solar panel provided with 5 metres cable. "When water is not sprayed, the pump will automatically switch off,” he shares. It is mandatory to attach the sprayer to solar panel when it is operated. The solar panel charges the battery that enables to run the pump. The pump uses 0.37 KW of electricity. “The inlet pipe is connected to the bottom of the water tank using a tank valve. There is a gate valve provided for closing and opening of the inlet pipe. The valve is opened when water is sprayed. The tank valve and gate valve is supplied along with the solar pump.”
David's Portable solar water   pump.jpg
David's Portable solar water pump

“When rain fails during critical flowering period it leads to a complete loss for the farmers. It was hurting to see that after all the hard work farmers face financial tribulations due to drought! I always used to feel that there should be some sprayer to provide water to the plants when there is no natural rain. Then I started working on the sprayer to create rain like showers. Secondly as electricity is always a problem in villages, I decided to use solar power to operate the sprayer,” he described the drive to design and develop the solar powered drought fighter.

It took 2 years for Mr. David to develop this equipment. However it was re-launched after modifications based on farmers requirements. “I was always inclined towards making farm machinery based on simple mechanism driven by solar power,” he added. The sprayer is portable and easy to carry around. It can also be used as portable solar pump to pump water from upto 20 metres depth and can lift water to overhead tank of the farm house when there is no electricity. It is an ideal pump for surface water pumping from farm ponds. The powerful water flow can also be used for washing livestock at a speed of 2 minutes per cow. The entire set that is sprayer along with the solar panel and pump costs Rs. 45 thousand.
David's solar Multipurpose farm   sprayer.jpg
David's solar Multipurpose farm sprayer

Speaking about durability Mr. David says, “I have used quality components in the entire system that has a long life. The maintenance is very less as it needs a battery change in the solar panel once in two years. Cost of battery is around Rs. 4,000.”

When asked how it works during winter and rainy season he clarified, “The panel in the system is 3 times more powerful than the requirement. With little exposure to the sunlight the battery can be charged. If in case the battery is discharged but sunlight is available then also the pump will work taking the sunlight directly and also shall charge the battery simultaneously.” 10 working days is the time required for the product delivery. It is working successfully at Noida, Mumbai and Patna.

“I have designed different equipment for farmers. One after the other I shall release them. Farmers’ life is tough, it can be made easy only through technology!” sharing future plans he signed off.

Mr. David Raja Beula has recently retired as Deputy Director of Agriculture Vellore and now resides in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu.

Contact Details:

Mr. P.David Raja Beula
17 Gemstar City, Vinobha Nagar, Perumalpuram, Tirunelveli - 627007
Phone: 09486285704
Email: microeconomicsdavid@yahoo.co. in

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)